Singapore Expats Forum

singaporean's perception of foreigners.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Postby Guest » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 1:32 pm

If you want to know what the perception of foreigners by Singaporeans is, you are not on the right forum. Here, you can get the perception of singporeans by foreigners, not the opposite. It seems so obvious to me from the beginning.

Postby Guest » Sat, 05 Feb 2005 1:38 pm

they very reason the government brought in foreign elites was so that we could gain from their expertise and excel ourselves when we pit ourselves in a healthy competition against them. but the latter motive is clearly lost in most cases.

That statement is unsubstantiated/undocumented. Again if you write "the latter motive is clearly lost in most cases" without any proof, this is called a prejudice. There are simply no proof/evidence/substantiation tu support your assertion. Your work is going to be full of prejudices and unsubstantiated claims. No one, no expat on this board, can find evidence to support your claims. As an expat who have here for nearly 4 years, I can not think or recall any single event/situation that would support your assertion.

Postby Guest » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 3:31 pm

haha i bet u are doing the spore society module

merlin69

Singaporean's perception of foreigners

Postby merlin69 » Mon, 21 Feb 2005 4:57 pm

I think it depends. Looking at foreigners in highly paid jobs, the feeling is one of envy, I think. I believe Singaporeans welcome the lower paid workers since it fills an undersupply of such forms of labour. Few Singaporeans want to be maids or perform manual labour and so welcome foreigners who come here to take on these jobs. When it comes to the higher paying jobs, Singaporeans of course resent the competition. It is only human. The same is felt in countries like the UK.

(BTW, just anyone try to get free education in the UK. Its not as easy as it looks.)

But back to the main issue. The current policy of actively courting foreign talent has brought the issue to the fore. Singaporeans previously oblivious to the influx of workers are now better informed. There is a general feeling of resentment since Singapore is facing a period of higher than usual unemployment. The locals question the logic of importing labour precisely at a time when jobs are in short supply. (Without further analysis I cannot comment on the logic.)

On the social front, I think Singaporeans, certainly among the English speaking lot (by which I require fluency) are more accepting of foreigners, even non-native English speakers. Why? I don't really know. Its just an observation based on my experience which while fairly wide does not constitute a consistent sample. Maybe it is because this group is less insular, more widely traveled, has had more exposure to other cultures.

I would be happy to discuss further but you are asking a question that lies firmly in the realm of social science, and here I am uninformed.

Bubbs

Postby Bubbs » Tue, 22 Feb 2005 4:35 pm

Excuse me.........why should you expect to get a free education in the UK? I pay £5000 pa for son to do Masters and I am UK born and bred and so is he.
I paid on average nearly double that p.a for my doctorate.
When I was in Singapore I paid $S14,000pa for his education there and fully expected to do so. You think I moaned cos Singapore would not educate him for free?
Strange ideas.

merlin69

Postby merlin69 » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 7:33 am

Hello Bubbs,

I think you misread the tone of my comment on UK education. I paid full fees to study in London. My comment was in reply to some of the posts which had suggested that it was easy to get a free education in the UK. It isn't. Whether it education should be free or not, whether if it is free, the courtesy should be extended to residents who are not British subjects, is another matter entirely.

My own view is that people should pay for their education since they derive the benefit from it. There should be a small level of government subsidy since to some extent, society also benefits.

Regards

Bryan

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Wed, 23 Feb 2005 4:23 pm

"What do you think of... / How do you feel ...?" - Questions like these conclude a judgement/view/opinion from different individuals.

There are infinite angles to look at a piece of white paper, what less a person? Suggest you gather the information or do up a poll, and draw your own analysis. :)

Just throwing in my two pits of bones worth... :wink:

weiwei

Postby weiwei » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 2:10 am

madwolfie wrote:"What do you think of... / How do you feel ...?" - Questions like these conclude a judgement/view/opinion from different individuals.

There are infinite angles to look at a piece of white paper, what less a person? Suggest you gather the information or do up a poll, and draw your own analysis. :)

Not you again :!: I thought you left to live in the jungle :lol: Surely you are not a bird because if you are I think Jurong Bird Park will be more suitable for you :D

madwolfie
Manager
Manager

Postby madwolfie » Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:02 am

weiwei wrote:
madwolfie wrote:"What do you think of... / How do you feel ...?" - Questions like these conclude a judgement/view/opinion from different individuals.

Not you again :!: I thought you left to live in the jungle :lol: Surely you are not a bird because if you are I think Jurong Bird Park will be more suitable for you :D

Believe me Weiwei, I would have LOVED to live in the jungle if I had not indulged myself in the modern vainities of this world... like mobile phone, internet, radio. I am guilty as charged on that. :lol:

I think there is this place in South Africa where they have like a 5 star hotel built in the jungle on trees and the view? Simply magnificent!!! :shock: