Singapore Expats

Entering Singapore and applying for EP on different passports, possible?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Cricketbay

Entering Singapore and applying for EP on different passports, possible?

Post by Cricketbay » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 2:50 pm

Hi all. A newbie here. Just seeking advice on some passport issues.

I am a holder of two passports, say A and B. B requires a visa to enter Singapore while A does not. Now I have been given an interview in Singapore and plan to travel there on passport A. If my job application is successful, I wish to have my employment pass linked to passport B. Is that possible?

Another question is, country B doesn't not officially recognise dual citizenship. So is ICA gonna have a problem with it? I know it might be better and safer to comply with the law and renounce the second citizenship, but country B's nationality law is very vague about this situation (it doesn't officially ban dual citizenship either) and in fact, lots of people I know are de-facto dual citizens. And for personal reasons I cannot risk forfeiting either of these two nationalities.

Thank you. Any input is welcome.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Entering Singapore and applying for EP on different passports, possible?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 3:27 pm

Cricketbay wrote:Hi all. A newbie here. Just seeking advice on some passport issues.

I am a holder of two passports, say A and B. B requires a visa to enter Singapore while A does not. Now I have been given an interview in Singapore and plan to travel there on passport A. If my job application is successful, I wish to have my employment pass linked to passport B. Is that possible?

Another question is, country B doesn't not officially recognise dual citizenship. So is ICA gonna have a problem with it? I know it might be better and safer to comply with the law and renounce the second citizenship, but country B's nationality law is very vague about this situation (it doesn't officially ban dual citizenship either) and in fact, lots of people I know are de-facto dual citizens. And for personal reasons I cannot risk forfeiting either of these two nationalities.

Thank you. Any input is welcome.
If you entered Singapore on passport A, your EP should be under A.

If not, there's gonna be a spanner in the works. That's for sure.

Can't reply the other questions of yours.

You don't wanna reveal what A and B are right ?

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Re: Entering Singapore and applying for EP on different passports, possible?

Post by MikeJones » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 3:45 pm

I'll defer to Ecureilx's judgement on the application process, however once you have your EP you can change the nationality it is associated with. I've done this with my EP. It was originally associated with my UK passport, I changed it to my NZ passport when my UK passport was due to expire as I travel a lot for work and the 6-8 weeks processing time quoted by the UK passport agency would have been a major pain.

As for your other question, I also cannot answer.

Mike

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Entering Singapore and applying for EP on different passports, possible?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 4:28 pm

MikeJones wrote:I'll defer to Ecureilx's judgement on the application process, however once you have your EP you can change the nationality it is associated with.
+1 :)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 5:41 pm

inb4BBCWatcher's long elaborate confusing misleading post which will turn this thread into a shitstorm.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 9:54 pm

As I recall, there is nothing on the disembarkation card that asks if you have ever entered Singapore on a different passport. I don't see any issue as long as you legitimately hold both passports, entering on one and applying for an EP on the other. I could enter on my Canadian passport, apply for EP on my USA passport. However, once EP is granted I am limited to entering on the passport for which EP is granted.

Your problem is that one of your citizenships is technically not valid in country B, at least with the limited information you have provided.

The obvious question is: Why not just use passport A for travel and EP?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 9:58 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:inb4BBCWatcher's long elaborate confusing misleading post which will turn this thread into a shitstorm.
I don't think that's going to happen.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 10:31 pm

:mrgreen:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Cricketbay

Post by Cricketbay » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 11:07 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:As I recall, there is nothing on the disembarkation card that asks if you have ever entered Singapore on a different passport. I don't see any issue as long as you legitimately hold both passports, entering on one and applying for an EP on the other. I could enter on my Canadian passport, apply for EP on my USA passport. However, once EP is granted I am limited to entering on the passport for which EP is granted.

Your problem is that one of your citizenships is technically not valid in country B, at least with the limited information you have provided.

The obvious question is: Why not just use passport A for travel and EP?

Strong Eagle, thank you for your reply.

I need to travel to country B on a regular basis. When I fly back to Singapore, not only will the airline staff check my visa or EP, but exit immigration control will ask for it as well. So I will be in big trouble if the EP does not match up with my passport, as immigration will be aware of the existence of another passport immediately. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So I wish to leave passport A behind when I travel to country B.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 05 Sep 2016 11:37 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:inb4BBCWatcher's long elaborate confusing misleading post which will turn this thread into a shitstorm.
Did you guys ban him?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 06 Sep 2016 3:51 am

Cricketbay wrote:Strong Eagle, thank you for your reply.

I need to travel to country B on a regular basis. When I fly back to Singapore, not only will the airline staff check my visa or EP, but exit immigration control will ask for it as well. So I will be in big trouble if the EP does not match up with my passport, as immigration will be aware of the existence of another passport immediately. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is still rather confusing. If you get your EP with passport A, you enter into Singapore on passport A. No stamps are made in your A passport.

You leave for country B and arrive in country B with your country B passport. What's the issue? You think country B is going to want to know why you don't have any stamps in your passport when you arrive?

You could help by specifying which countries you are referring to.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 06 Sep 2016 3:54 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
Did you guys ban him?
I can definitely say that he is on sabbatical.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 06 Sep 2016 10:22 am

Also the EP itself does not state the passport details anywhere on it, and like SE mentioned use passport A to get in/out of Singapore.
Use passport B to get in/out of your mysterious country B. When you leave country B, they will ask you if you have a visa to Singapore, you will show them your EP.. That is it.

Cricketbay

Post by Cricketbay » Tue, 06 Sep 2016 12:26 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Cricketbay wrote:Strong Eagle, thank you for your reply.

This is still rather confusing. If you get your EP with passport A, you enter into Singapore on passport A. No stamps are made in your A passport.

You leave for country B and arrive in country B with your country B passport. What's the issue? You think country B is going to want to know why you don't have any stamps in your passport when you arrive?

You could help by specifying which countries you are referring to.
No, I am not concerned about my arrival in country B as I can use the automated gate to clear immigration. So no one will be interested in the stamps in my passport.

The problem occurs on my way back to Singapore. Country B happens to be one of the few countries that exercise exit immigration control. Thus both airline and immigration will check the visa or landing permit in your passport unless your destination has a visa waiver or visa-on-arrival program for country B citizens. Unfortunately Singapore is not on the list.

So if the EP is not linked to passport B, I would either have to travel via a third country, Thailand, Korea, Hong Kong where I may land without a visa, or cross my fingers at the airport, hoping they will never find out that the EP and passport are not connected.

Apart from that, I may not be able to renew my passport B if I have had it stolen in Singapore because the embassy will ask for a copy of the employment pass.
Last edited by Cricketbay on Tue, 06 Sep 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cricketbay

Post by Cricketbay » Tue, 06 Sep 2016 12:52 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Also the EP itself does not state the passport details anywhere on it, and like SE mentioned use passport A to get in/out of Singapore.
Use passport B to get in/out of your mysterious country B. When you leave country B, they will ask you if you have a visa to Singapore, you will show them your EP.. That is it.
Here is my concern. Most countries in the world including Singapore have implemented what is called Advanced Passenger Information. Your passport information is transmitted to your destination country when you check in at the airport. So the airport staff will be instantly notified of your visa status. In other words, they do not have to physically see the visa label in your passport to determine if you have the right of entry.

So if I want to board a flight with passport B, they may smile: Sorry sir, the EP belongs to another person.