Singapore Expats Forum

Applying for PR Again

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 1:13 am

Any advice will help. Got rejected 3 yrs back. No reason given.

Male/ Indian/ 40/ 30,000 monthly salary/ Director
kids, (2 boys)

Living in singapore for 5 yrs










Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by expatsgin on Sat, 03 Sep 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 12:00 pm

Sadly, Stamp duties nor the purchase of the apartment help in this case as which you are paying taxes on it, you will get in back on the resale in all probability and a lot more as well. Therefore it's your long-term gain not the country's. Income taxes are a different story. And yes you are, I assume, paying tidy income taxes.

But Your chances? We've seen rejections of people with 300~400K salaries being rejected (mostly in the financial industry). It's been three years. I'd say give it another shot. I don't know what industry you are in, but the 1st application would have been too soon in any case and the fact that 3 years ago, the pogrom against anybody from the Subcontinent was full on - and still seems to be but we've seen some improvement on that front, with the exception that now it seems to be across the board regardless of ethnic background as the government carries on reducing the reliance on FTs, to it's own detriment in the long run. What to do?

You say you are a director of the company. Is it your company? How many employees? How many local employees? Or did you have a local hired director to set up your company and then hire you as the employee and also director and you are basically running a one man show? If that's the case, I have my doubts you will be successful, but that would depend on the type of business it is and how portable it is. If a one man show and not necessarily locked into Singapore per se, you might still have a problem.

The worst they can do is say no and tell you that you are welcome to stay here as long as you can renew your EP.

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, Stamp duties nor the purchase of the apartment help in this case as which you are paying taxes on it, you will get in back on the resale in all probability and a lot more as well. Therefore it's your long-term gain not the country's. Income taxes are a different story. And yes you are, I assume, paying tidy income taxes.

But Your chances? We've seen rejections of people with 300~400K salaries being rejected (mostly in the financial industry). It's been three years. I'd say give it another shot. I don't know what industry you are in, but the 1st application would have been too soon in any case and the fact that 3 years ago, the pogrom against anybody from the Subcontinent was full on - and still seems to be but we've seen some improvement on that front, with the exception that now it seems to be across the board regardless of ethnic background as the government carries on reducing the reliance on FTs, to it's own detriment in the long run. What to do?

You say you are a director of the company. Is it your company? How many employees? How many local employees? Or did you have a local hired director to set up your company and then hire you as the employee and also director and you are basically running a one man show? If that's the case, I have my doubts you will be successful, but that would depend on the type of business it is and how portable it is. If a one man show and not necessarily locked into Singapore per se, you might still have a problem.

The worst they can do is say no and tell you that you are welcome to stay here as long as you can renew your EP.

Thank you for the detailed response.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by expatsgin on Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:38 pm

expatsgin wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sadly, Stamp duties nor the purchase of the apartment help in this case as which you are paying taxes on it, you will get in back on the resale in all probability and a lot more as well. Therefore it's your long-term gain not the country's. Income taxes are a different story. And yes you are, I assume, paying tidy income taxes.

But Your chances? We've seen rejections of people with 300~400K salaries being rejected (mostly in the financial industry). It's been three years. I'd say give it another shot. I don't know what industry you are in, but the 1st application would have been too soon in any case and the fact that 3 years ago, the pogrom against anybody from the Subcontinent was full on - and still seems to be but we've seen some improvement on that front, with the exception that now it seems to be across the board regardless of ethnic background as the government carries on reducing the reliance on FTs, to it's own detriment in the long run. What to do?

You say you are a director of the company. Is it your company? How many employees? How many local employees? Or did you have a local hired director to set up your company and then hire you as the employee and also director and you are basically running a one man show? If that's the case, I have my doubts you will be successful, but that would depend on the type of business it is and how portable it is. If a one man show and not necessarily locked into Singapore per se, you might still have a problem.

The worst they can do is say no and tell you that you are welcome to stay here as long as you can renew your EP.

Thank you for the detailed response. I am the only employee in the company. Its a subsidiary of a foreign company. I had grown the local operation from 200k to 45 million. First few years were loss making and now since two year making profit.( which reflects on my salary growth). This year we hired one employee who is a foreigner but certainly by end of the year we will atleast 1 or 2 working here.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 3:38 pm

I am not the owner, just an employee


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 5:01 pm

As it stands right now, I'm sitting on the fence. a) The company looks to be nothing but a vehicle for you to gain residency here - maybe from ICA's eyes; b) It's a one many show; c) now it not a one man show but has one additional employee (who is also a foreigner and I'd almost bet I could guess the ethnicity as well, yeah?) Not a good sign either. Plans to hire locals are only that.

I'm sitting on 50:50 but I'd still apply and see where it goes as it's been three years so that show staying power in any case. Give is a shot and let us know how it goes. I'd like to see some good news here for a change. ;-)

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 5:51 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As it stands right now, I'm sitting on the fence. a) The company looks to be nothing but a vehicle for you to gain residency here - maybe from ICA's eyes; b) It's a one many show; c) now it not a one man show but has one additional employee (who is also a foreigner and I'd almost bet I could guess the ethnicity as well, yeah?) Not a good sign either. Plans to hire locals are only that.

I'm sitting on 50:50 but I'd still apply and see where it goes as it's been three years so that show staying power in any case. Give is a shot and let us know how it goes. I'd like to see some good news here for a change. ;-)

To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 5:54 pm

expatsgin wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:As it stands right now, I'm sitting on the fence. a) The company looks to be nothing but a vehicle for you to gain residency here - maybe from ICA's eyes; b) It's a one many show; c) now it not a one man show but has one additional employee (who is also a foreigner and I'd almost bet I could guess the ethnicity as well, yeah?) Not a good sign either. Plans to hire locals are only that.

I'm sitting on 50:50 but I'd still apply and see where it goes as it's been three years so that show staying power in any case. Give is a shot and let us know how it goes. I'd like to see some good news here for a change. ;-)

To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do u think if i invest (personal funds) in a local company will strengthen my application?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 6:00 pm

expatsgin wrote:
expatsgin wrote:To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do u think if i invest (personal funds) in a local company will strengthen my application?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No,

Those days of putting few hundred K to get points for PR is long gone. Especially since that was exploited to the maximum by folks from mother land ;)

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 6:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
expatsgin wrote:
expatsgin wrote:To be candid, not worried about outcome. Either way am here to stay. If i really want, can get it, by GIP, but thats last resort. The company has nothin to do with any scheme. Its super legit as it is a subsidiary of a large MNC.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do u think if i invest (personal funds) in a local company will strengthen my application?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No,

Those days of putting few hundred K to get points for PR is long gone. Especially since that was exploited to the maximum by folks from mother land ;)

Not few hundred Kmillions ;) i dont deal in Ks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 8:23 pm

expatsgin wrote:Not few hundred Kmillions ;) i dont deal in Ks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Then I am sure you know the answer ...

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 8:39 pm

Thank you for the feedback. Not very optimistic as cannot do anything with my ethnicity here. But am glad u guys gave me a better perspective.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 11:13 pm

expatsgin wrote:Thank you for the feedback. Not very optimistic as cannot do anything with my ethnicity here. But am glad u guys gave me a better perspective


If the company is wholly owned by a parent MNC, then I'd have to say you stand a bigger chance of success as you are working for a fully owned, by the MNC, subsidiary, not a "franchise" sort of company (which is what I was thinking originally) e.g., operating using their name but privately owned franchise which would entail the paying of franchise fees to the parent company. If you've been here with them for the past four years then I'd have to say, based on the numbers you gave me earlier I'd have to up your chances today probably 70%. Yeah, it sucks that your countrymen who came here before you abused the system so badly as it's tended to tar the whole barrel as it were. And yeah, with the numbers you are talking, there is always the GIP way to go. In any case, Good luck.

expatsgin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat, 03 Sep 2016

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby expatsgin » Sun, 04 Sep 2016 12:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
expatsgin wrote:Thank you for the feedback. Not very optimistic as cannot do anything with my ethnicity here. But am glad u guys gave me a better perspective


If the company is wholly owned by a parent MNC, then I'd have to say you stand a bigger chance of success as you are working for a fully owned, by the MNC, subsidiary, not a "franchise" sort of company (which is what I was thinking originally) e.g., operating using their name but privately owned franchise which would entail the paying of franchise fees to the parent company. If you've been here with them for the past four years then I'd have to say, based on the numbers you gave me earlier I'd have to up your chances today probably 70%. Yeah, it sucks that your countrymen who came here before you abused the system so badly as it's tended to tar the whole barrel as it were. And yeah, with the numbers you are talking, there is always the GIP way to go. In any case, Good luck.

Thank you Sundaymorningstaple. Will let u know the outcome.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Applying for PR Again

Postby taxico » Sun, 04 Sep 2016 2:07 am

expatsgin wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
expatsgin wrote:Do u think if i invest (personal funds) in a local company will strengthen my application?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


No,

Those days of putting few hundred K to get points for PR is long gone. Especially since that was exploited to the maximum by folks from mother land ;)

Not few hundred Kmillions ;) i dont deal in Ks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


then why don't you just put down "millions" and get PR that way?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests