Singapore Expats

Dependent pass

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
firemedic

Dependent pass

Post by firemedic » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:12 pm

Hey everyone, I'm in Thailand now and will be moving to Singapore next month. Company told me I needed a Certificate of Cohabitation to bring my Thai GF over next year. I can't find much in Thailand how to get that. Any suggestions?

x9200

Re: Dependent pass

Post by x9200 » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:18 pm

firemedic wrote:Hey everyone, I'm in Thailand now and will be moving to Singapore next month. Company told me I needed a Certificate of Cohabitation to bring my Thai GF over next year. I can't find much in Thailand how to get that. Any suggestions?
You need some sort of formal proof that you are a legally recognized couple (as you are not married). Whether you can get such proof at all heavily depends on your country. Probably the best way to check for such possibility is to contact the respective (Thai?) embassy.

firemedic

Post by firemedic » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:29 pm

I'm not sure if Thailand has that.....even though we've been together for 3 years.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:37 pm

Just check. Technically, for some other countries, you needed to prove in the embassy that you lived together (say bank accounts under the same name, utility bill etc. etc.) and if the embassy staff believed you, they could certify the cohabitation. The UK had it that way, but not any longer.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Dependent pass

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:45 pm

firemedic wrote:I'm not sure if Thailand has that.....even though we've been together for 3 years.
Just to let you know, from I have seen and heard, unless your partner is a westerner, you have low chance for approval for DP.

Especially if she's an Asian, conservative culture and all - she's supposed to be married ;)

Good luck, you will need it a lot.

Don't lose hope, in any case.

I doubt any Thai agency will certify a cohabitation arrangement.

On the other hand, curiously, Philippines allows "common law wife" to be legalized.

You should try getting a lawyer or Justice of peace or equivalent to certify your relationship.

firemedic

Post by firemedic » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 9:50 am

Ok guys thanks! Even the guys in Thaivisa haven't heard of it either........

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 10:30 am

firemedic wrote:Ok guys thanks! Even the guys in Thaivisa haven't heard of it either........
As I said. Plan B, get a Justice of Peace or Notary Public to draw up an affidavit and try.

Don't hold your breath for too long though. :(

firemedic

Post by firemedic » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 10:52 am

Ok, so then I guess the only follow up would be, if we are planning for her to come over in March of 17, when do we need to do the affidavit paper?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 03 Sep 2016 11:25 am

firemedic wrote:Ok, so then I guess the only follow up would be, if we are planning for her to come over in March of 17, when do we need to do the affidavit paper?
I don't know if Singapore, unlike other countries, expect a recent affidavit.

Can't help you there.

But, the earlier you apply for the DP, the better it is.