Singapore Expats Forum
 

Uber or Grab?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:01 pm

Max Headroom wrote: And this is my point; rather than simply diluting the number of taxis, increasing competition and dragging down rates, these new players are more sophisticated, instead, operating on a take-it-or-shake-it Dutch Auction basis, always ensuring they get maximum $$$ from their trips.

At the customer's expense.
Grab hasn't gone that way, in Singapore and Philippines, yet. Even the grab surge fare in Manila is cheaper than the local fixed rate coupon taxis.

bgd
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1680
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 4:09 pm

Re: RE: Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by bgd » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 12:10 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Grab hasn't gone that way, in Singapore and Philippines, yet. Even the grab surge fare in Manila is cheaper than the local fixed rate coupon taxis.
I've downloaded Grab - will give it a try. Last night Uber was 2.5x the normal fare at 10pm. Caught a bus.

joemeow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 10:21 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by joemeow » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 3:41 pm

I tried Uber but not Grab, although i will do a try though ;)

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Bigjohn32819 » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 4:13 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Uber introduced cash in India, also there are aggregator apps which query uber, grab, ola, menu and half a dozen others to get you the best price.
It's a field day if you are a customer.
i read somewhere that uber was banned from surge pricing ... at least in delhi ...

joemeow
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 10:21 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by joemeow » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 5:34 pm

Bigjohn32819 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Uber introduced cash in India, also there are aggregator apps which query uber, grab, ola, menu and half a dozen others to get you the best price.
It's a field day if you are a customer.
i read somewhere that uber was banned from surge pricing ... at least in delhi ...
No i don't think its banned

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Bigjohn32819 » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 7:57 am

joemeow wrote:
Bigjohn32819 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Uber introduced cash in India, also there are aggregator apps which query uber, grab, ola, menu and half a dozen others to get you the best price.
It's a field day if you are a customer.
i read somewhere that uber was banned from surge pricing ... at least in delhi ...
No i don't think its banned
http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/21/11477 ... elhi-india

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/742d189a-0785 ... ition=intl

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 10:35 am

I think uber was banned from surge pricing in Bangalore too! The state Govt stepped in and said all taxis need to follow Govt established rates, they had to fall in line and comply or gtfo.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Bigjohn32819 » Thu, 08 Sep 2016 11:09 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I think uber was banned from surge pricing in Bangalore too! The state Govt stepped in and said all taxis need to follow Govt established rates, they had to fall in line and comply or gtfo.
seems other states may follow suit ...

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis ... 25063.html

Delhi's stand getting tougher against it ...

http://qz.com/664131/another-region-of- ... e-pricing/

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:31 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 8:14 pm

I'm all for industry shake-ups and for government laissez-faire, but with surge, consumers go from the frying pan into the fire. So well done to India there.

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Bigjohn32819 » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 9:38 pm

joemeow wrote:No i don't think its banned
and your opinion is based on ................. ?????

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Bigjohn32819 » Sun, 11 Sep 2016 9:41 pm

Max Headroom wrote:So well done to India there.
oooohhh aarrr ... hell yeah buddy ...

:D :D :D

btw, i just love the anambas (in yr sig) :) :) :)

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2829
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:45 am
Location: Singapore

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 12 Sep 2016 4:22 am

Max Headroom wrote:I'm all for industry shake-ups and for government laissez-faire, but with surge, consumers go from the frying pan into the fire. So well done to India there.
I agree, uber and ola are finding countering local unions and the government is very difficult. The local unions are trying to rightly fight for driver rights ( # of hours of driving, health issues ) while uber and ola are trying to entice drivers into working more. Its quite a hazardous occupation, driving in India i.e
The last straw for customers came when these companies charged 500 times the price i think during the recent heavy rains and the roads were all waterlogged.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Bigjohn32819 » Mon, 12 Sep 2016 10:59 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I agree, uber and ola are finding countering local unions and the government is very difficult. The local unions are trying to rightly fight for driver rights ( # of hours of driving, health issues ) while uber and ola are trying to entice drivers into working more. Its quite a hazardous occupation, driving in India i.e
absolutely. but i have to say i feel sorry for the black cab drivers in london who go thru the gruelling "knowledge" test to get a licence to drive a cab ... but from a customers' POV, uber is substantially cheaper normally compared to the black cabs ... and about 1/3 from heathrow to central london !!!

but in bombay for example, it's the other way around ... a Rs. 20 journey in a black & yellow cost about Rs. 200 + in an uber ...
rajagainstthemachine wrote:The last straw for customers came when these companies charged 500 times the price i think during the recent heavy rains and the roads were all waterlogged.
agreed ... having a flat premium of say 10%-15% is one thing, but uber indulges in rip off pricing IMHO ...

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Re: RE: Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 12 Sep 2016 11:28 am

Bigjohn32819 wrote: agreed ... having a flat premium of say 10%-15% is one thing, but uber indulges in rip off pricing IMHO ...
A friend in Singapore posted a 175 $ uber surge price. :)

User avatar
Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 791
Joined: Wed, 08 May 2013 11:31 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 12 Sep 2016 2:28 pm

Bigjohn32819 wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:So well done to India there.
btw, i just love the anambas (in yr sig) :) :) :)
:-)

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests