Singapore Expats

Uber or Grab?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Luxmee

Uber or Grab?

Post by Luxmee » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:18 pm

Settling into SG and I'm wondering which app is more value for money.

Uber or Grab?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Uber or Grab?

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 10:22 pm

Luxmee wrote:Settling into SG and I'm wondering which app is more value for money.

Uber or Grab?
For Me, Grab never failed when I needed a car or taxi.

Even peak charges aren't exorbitant like Uber!

bgd
Manager
Manager

Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by bgd » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:26 am

I've found Uber ok but pricy. Will give Grab a try.

okonu
Regular
Regular

Post by okonu » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:25 pm

Uber when no surge pricing. Otherwise Grab.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 12:41 pm

Just adding on ..

I had just one complaint with Grab.

They thought they had problems with their payment gateway and decided to double charge few of my trips, and to confuse me, the card statement showed 5 trips by me at an odd hour to the same destination.

They could have communicated and clarified ahead instead of whacking me like that.

So after spending a few days proving to them the charges had been double charged, they agreed to refund and 30 days later, no refund yet.

Of course the help desk insists it will be reflected in my next card statementt though my card company says nothing reversed yet, so I don't know. Maybe by Christmas I should get it back.

Other than the above .. no issues with Grab

Honestly the booking and rest of the service is faultless !

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 1:27 pm

I'm curious. When Comfort taxi drivers are sharing a Taxi, does the driver who is off shift, if he needs a taxi, does he call Comfort or Grab/Uber? :-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 1:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm curious. When Comfort taxi drivers are sharing a Taxi, does the driver who is off shift, if he needs a taxi, does he call Comfort or Grab/Uber? :-)
Probably drive his own Merc ? ;)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 3:31 pm

ecureilx wrote:Just adding on ..

I had just one complaint with Grab...
That's a pretty major problem. If it happened to me I would have moved to Uber, or even, heaven forbid, the local guys.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Uber or Grab?

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 4:24 pm

bgd wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Just adding on ..

I had just one complaint with Grab...
That's a pretty major problem. If it happened to me I would have moved to Uber, or even, heaven forbid, the local guys.
Fortunately that specific card is not used for other things, hence my being able to catch the double charge.

Am sticking with Grab, since in Manila I had promo rides which ended up being free, and the driver refused the 100 peso tip I offered. And I never had any problem getting a cab or car from Grab. Vs Uber.

Plus, unlike uber, Grab has better coverage in Manila - so here I am hoping Grab doesn't repeat that mistake again.

The full email from Grab:

Thank you for using Grab.

We wanted to inform you about an isolated processing error by our vendor, which has resulted in an incorrect billing to your credit card that occurred between 21st July and25th July 2016.

This error was rectified immediately by our vendor and there is no action required on your part.

As such, you will notice that any incorrect billings to your credit card have been reversed and credited for the same amount. This will be reflected on your next credit card statement.

We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you require more information or have questions regarding this, please contact Global Payments’ Customer Care Representatives at +65 6622 1168 or any of our customer service representatives at+ 65 6570 3925.

Regards,
GrabPay Support Team

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 01 Sep 2016 6:40 pm

i had my uber account hacked abut a year and a half ago. i think i was visiting my in-laws in korea... and i had about 3 or 4 mad trips occur in NSW australia.

after that, i switched to grab and always paid cash. i think it's usually cheaper by cab though...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 01 Sep 2016 7:16 pm

taxico wrote:i had my uber account hacked abut a year and a half ago. i think i was visiting my in-laws in korea... and i had about 3 or 4 mad trips occur in NSW australia.

after that, i switched to grab and always paid cash. i think it's usually cheaper by cab though...
Yeah, forgot that advantage of Grab. Cash !

DrScrumMaster
Regular
Regular

Post by DrScrumMaster » Thu, 01 Sep 2016 8:29 pm

Uber are a bunch of cnuts. That leaves Grab.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 9:03 am

Uber introduced cash in India, also there are aggregator apps which query uber, grab, ola, menu and half a dozen others to get you the best price.
It's a field day if you are a customer.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 10:05 am

ecureilx wrote:
Yeah, forgot that advantage of Grab. Cash !
For me CC is an advantage. Don't have to worry about cash. I like just getting out of the car, no payment hassles.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 02 Sep 2016 10:15 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Uber introduced cash in India, also there are aggregator apps which query uber, grab, ola, menu and half a dozen others to get you the best price.
It's a field day if you are a customer.
I'm not sure that applies to customers in Singapore. If you look at the number of additional taxis now compared to pre-Uber, fares should be down. Rather, we find the rates are, at best, the same, but actually, most of the time we're now quoted higher rates than pre-Uber.

During the initial phase, yes, it was a field day. But the biskits just used that time to accrue trip data in order to leverage this accumulated knowledge to get the highest possible rates later on.

Case in point: we were quoted $60 for a Bedok to CCK trip last week! It was surge of course, but a regular cab usually ends up costing $25 max. naturally, we declined, but there must have been people despo enough to pay that much.

And this is my point; rather than simply diluting the number of taxis, increasing competition and dragging down rates, these new players are more sophisticated, instead, operating on a take-it-or-shake-it Dutch Auction basis, always ensuring they get maximum $$$ from their trips.

At the customer's expense.