Singapore Expats

Obligations before employing a LTVP holder

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
johnsmith1234

Obligations before employing a LTVP holder

Post by johnsmith1234 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 6:41 pm

Hi there,

If a company wants to employ a LTVP or LTVP+ holder (sponsored by Singapore Citizen spouse) by obtaining a LOC, does the company have to list a job ad on the jobsbank.gov.sg website first? (as required for an EP).

Assume the company has over 25 employees and the pay for the position is less than 12k but more than 3.3k.

I guess what I'm getting at is, are the obligations as onerous as they are for an EP application? I had a look at the MOM website but couldn't find a clear answer.

Thanks for any help.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Obligations before employing a LTVP holder

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 7:58 pm

As your are still considered a foreigner (otherwise you would be a PR or SGC) yes, they would still have to advertise. Also, the LoC is not a given anymore. There have been rejections recently as too many were taking administrative jobs that could be done by any O or A level graduate. Now you have to have a semblance of knowledge / experience but you don't really need the academic qualifications *(to the degree of a EP holder) but you are not going to get it if you are a high school dropout.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

johnsmith1234

Post by johnsmith1234 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As your are still considered a foreigner (otherwise you would be a PR or SGC) yes, they would still have to advertise. Also, the LoC is not a given anymore. There have been rejections recently as too many were taking administrative jobs that could be done by any O or A level graduate. Now you have to have a semblance of knowledge / experience but you don't really need the academic qualifications *(to the degree of a EP holder) but you are not going to get it if you are a high school dropout.
Thanks. So for a university educated mid-career professional who is not a superstar but not a chump either, getting an LoC with a LTVP+ is just as hard as getting an EP?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 11:03 pm

Noooo, that's not what I said. You have a degree, so you won't have any problems I wouldn't think.

What I said was those with O or A levels will no longer find it a cakewalk to a position here if they are a trailing spouse. If you have a degree you shouldn't have any problems at all. The administrative positions are normally filled by O/A levels grads but there were situations where LoC were given out to spouses who didn't even finish their O's or High School but because they were cheap (trailing spouses rarely get market value as the employers know you are not in a demanding position but trying to find a job).

However things have changed somewhat now, with the allowing of Foreign Spouses on LTVPs being allowed to obtain a LoC. I think this is why it is now not as easy to pick up the low paying positions any more as it was to level out the playing field as the DP holder could work (with EP spouse) but the LTVP spouse of a PR/SC couldn't. The DP/LoC was tied to the EP. EP lost, so was the LoC. But it's different with the LoC tied to a SGC. It does, however, have to be renewed annually (not a big deal) but it's now longer term and not tied to the expire of the EP so qualify for the position is a wee bit more difficult - not for a degree holder but for anybody lesser educated.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers