Singapore Expats

Need a legal help

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Davaleksan

Need a legal help

Post by Davaleksan » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:31 pm

Singapore based company hired me and 8 more guys to work abroad. After a month of work the company lost contract and sent us home without paying salary. We have signed contracts and time sheets. The company is well known and well respected. We need a legal help as it is already three month since our departure.
We all live in different countries and it's complicated. But we are ready to sacrifice up to 30% of the money the company's owe us. Total sum the company owe us is about 150000 USD. Appreciate if anybody advice a decent lawyer to take our case.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Need a legal help

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:51 pm

Davaleksan wrote:Singapore based company hired me and 8 more guys to work abroad. After a month of work the company lost contract and sent us home without paying salary. We have signed contracts and time sheets. The company is well known and well respected. We need a legal help as it is already three month since our departure.
We all live in different countries and it's complicated. But we are ready to sacrifice up to 30% of the money the company's owe us. Total sum the company owe us is about 150000 USD. Appreciate if anybody advice a decent lawyer to take our case.
Before a lawyer, approach MOM, to help mediate.

You or one of your representative will have to turn up for that.

MOM should help, if the contract says "bound by Singapore laws" or something to that effect.

Davaleksan

Re: Need a legal help

Post by Davaleksan » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 6:07 pm

Thanks for prompt reply. Unfortunately despite Company's head office in Singapore contract says all disputes are under law of Western Australia. As I said it is complicated.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 7:24 pm

So what's your link to Singapore besides the employer?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 7:54 pm

Easy question. Where did you sign the contract? After you got into the air? And mailed or emailed it back while on location? We used to do that all the time many years ago when I was recruiting locals / PRs to work overseas. That way the employers has no obligation to Singapore as the contract was entered into outside of the country. (I honestly don't know if that loophole has been closed up as I've been out of the headhunting business for a dozen years.)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Davaleksan

Post by Davaleksan » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 8:14 pm

Contracts were signed at homes, sending to us by email. Before we got to the plane. Time sheets were signed at location and signed by representative of client and the company. At first company manager promised to pay and then stopped to answer the calls and mails. It driving us nuts, really. We just feel ourselves defenseless and need an advice how to proceed in this situation.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:49 pm

I think your best bet is to call a lawyer, usually they will answer a couple of questions in order to better understand the potential case (usually at no charge) in order to see if it's even got a chance at potential resolution in your favour. I'd be hesitant to offer any advice as a lot has changed in the dozen years since I left that industry to become a HR Manager. I have a sneaky suspicion that you will have to go through the Australian Courts if your contracts were sent to the company's offices there.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 8:47 am

You need a West Australia lawyer. This is actually an easy case for them to pursue and win I think. If you need help finding one PM me.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!