Singapore Expats

Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
zp1995

Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 3:35 am

I'm asking for my girlfriend who is Singaporean.

She needs to go back to Singapore to collect inheritance money but has outstanding student loan debt.
She left Singapore last October and hasn't made a payment since. She thinks with interest her loan could now total over 10k and she is worried about being arrested on arrival or not being allowed to leave to come back.

Can she enter and leave Singapore without any trouble? She has not been contacted about it (as far as she knows, unless a letter has been sent to her home)

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 7:51 am

zp1995 wrote:I'm asking for my girlfriend who is Singaporean.

She needs to go back to Singapore to collect inheritance money but has outstanding student loan debt.
She left Singapore last October and hasn't made a payment since. She thinks with interest her loan could now total over 10k and she is worried about being arrested on arrival or not being allowed to leave to come back.

Can she enter and leave Singapore without any trouble? She has not been contacted about it (as far as she knows, unless a letter has been sent to her home)

Thanks
If she hasn't left a valid local contact address, and if she's been declared default, she can be in lot of trouble when she arrives.

Banks don't call, they send letters.

What's this "inheritance" ? Image

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:40 am

She will be ok provided she hasn't been made a bankrupt in her absence.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

zp1995

Re: RE: Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 3:26 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Thanks
If she hasn't left a valid local contact address, and if she's been declared default, she can be in lot of trouble when she arrives.

The inheritence is from a family member who passed away and the money was delayed until she and her siblings were 21.

So theres basically no way to know unless she goes and sees if she gets arrested or not?

zp1995

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 3:27 pm

PNGMK wrote:She will be ok provided she hasn't been made a bankrupt in her absence.
Is there any way to find out if you've been made bankrupt?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:00 pm

zp1995 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

Thanks

The inheritence is from a family member who passed away and the money was delayed until she and her siblings were 21.

So theres basically no way to know unless she goes and sees if she gets arrested or not?
Hang on. I missed something. She's a Singaporean but visiting Singapore ?

Now she doesn't have a permanent address in Singapore ?

Never mind.

Since she's a Singaporean, she can login to IPTO site and find out if she's been declared bankrupt (not likely but be prepared ... ) or Credit Bureau and see what the bank has marked her loan status as. The latter is warning, former - Oh Sh*t.

She won't be arrested per se, if I recall correctly, unless there's more than one reason - not updating the local residential address is serious - but leaving without settling the loan maybe trouble "If" she's declared bankrupt. Bankrupts aren't allowed to depart without prior permission. And generally that happens after one court appearance or meet with the official assignee.

I believe this "bank" can be reached via phone call ? If so, why not call and ask, unless she's planning to disappear with the inheritance money...

zp1995

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:18 pm

Yes shes Singaporean.

Her address would be her mom's place still (in SG). I dont know if that makes a difference

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:23 pm

zp1995 wrote:Yes shes Singaporean.

Her address would be her mom's place still (in SG). I dont know if that makes a difference
If that's the address on her IC, then fret not.

If something has taken place, it will be with letters sent to that address.

I am sure as a Singaporean she knows the severe punishment for not having a valid address.

zp1995

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:30 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zp1995 wrote:Yes shes Singaporean.

If that's the address on her IC, then fret not.

If something has taken place, it will be with letters sent to that address.

I am sure as a Singaporean she knows the severe punishment for not having a valid address.

Ah, so basically don't worry? I will get her to check her bankruptcy status on the website you said.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Entering/Exiting Singapore with Student loan debt

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 4:47 pm

zp1995 wrote: Ah, so basically don't worry? I will get her to check her bankruptcy status on the website you said.
She should be asking mummy if there have been any letters from lawyers or government ;)

If nothing, then don't worry.

Btw. If it's the student loan, bank may have gone after the guarantors if she was MIA.

zp1995

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 6:01 pm

Thanks for all of your advice so far.

Sorry for all of the questions but is there any other way she can check if she has been declared bankrupt? She cannot access the site you gave me before as she doesn't have the code or anything.

Sorry for being a pain in the ass hahah

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 8:13 pm

zp1995 wrote:Thanks for all of your advice so far.

Sorry for all of the questions but is there any other way she can check if she has been declared bankrupt? She cannot access the site you gave me before as she doesn't have the code or anything.

Sorry for being a pain in the ass hahah
Look for the Ipto official site, look for insolvency search, pay 7$ and login with Singpass for the same to find out if the IC is declared bankrupt.

For Credit Bureau too, login with Singpass and pay 7$ and get your own credit report.

As I said, if the bank called the loan and if she had guarantors, the guarantors would have been made to pay by now.

zp1995

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 9:48 pm

I did a search for her and paid the money. The results came back saying
"There is no receiving and adjudication/bankruptcy orders made in the respect of the above mentioned"

Does this mean she is 100% safe?

(Stupid question, i know but i want to be sure. Also my last question)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:08 pm

zp1995 wrote:I did a search for her and paid the money. The results came back saying
"There is no receiving and adjudication/bankruptcy orders made in the respect of the above mentioned"

Does this mean she is 100% safe?

(Stupid question, i know but i want to be sure. Also my last question)
It means she has no serious drama. Legally. As of NOW :)

As I said, as long as she's communicating with mummy and no legal letters have been received at her address, you could have saved the IPTO search fees.

zp1995

Post by zp1995 » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 10:15 pm

She didnt want her mom to find out shes bankrupt for obvious reasons hahaha.

Anyway thanks for the help! I would buy you a beer if I could!