Singapore Expats

PR chances for Japanese

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: PR chances for Japanese

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Aug 2016 8:19 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:If somebody asks a question, a simple reply goes a long way, than giving a long reply including impossible scenarios..
Short also no work. No read as yes, black read as white. No can win.
Sometimes people want A specific reply and no other reply will satisfy them. In that case, I give up - than prolonging a pointless conversation ;) I know, I forget that rule, but I try to stick to that as much as possible ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: PR chances for Japanese

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 2:46 am

BBCWatcher wrote:So just be a bit careful here, to make sure ICA doesn't have any reason to believe you're the only real director.
Again, this is false, false, false. He is a director for his own company. He is normally resident because of his EP. He doesn't need any kind of outside director because JunJun is considered to be normally resident, that is, his primary address is in Singapore.

And yet, you will not stop with your stupid nonsense to the contrary just because you seem to think that one sentence on the ACRA web page is the end all, be all.

A citizen is normally resident. A PR is normally resident. An EP is normally resident. A DP is normally resident. A LTVP is normally resident. ANY pass that grants you more than 183 days in Singapore makes you normally resident.

Again, YOU mislead the OP with statements that are simply false. The comprehension problem lies with you, not me.

I'll say it again. A person can be a director of a company if he holds an employment pass issued to that company. JunJun doesn't need any other director. If you weren't so damn thick and so sure of your own infallibility, you'd understand that this is how foreign companies setup shop in Singapore all the time.

From: https://www.acra.gov.sg/uploadedFiles/C ... _final.pdf

You provide false information that only confuses the conversation.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 9:15 am

JunJun1993 wrote:I need to check about this with our company secretory.
Checking, the other person's existence, and the LoC are all excellent.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 11:31 am

BBCWatcher wrote:
Keep digging your hole deeper, you fool.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR chances for Japanese

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 11:38 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:
He gets enough accolades to fuel his energy ;)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:03 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote:Checking, the other person's existence, and the LoC are all excellent.
OK, your post evidently means you disagree with the post you quoted. Please tell us how, specifically. Do you recommend that JunJun1993:

(a) Not check with the corporate secretary? or
(b) Get rid of the corporate secretary? or
(c) Work in Singapore without a Letter of Consent while holding a DP? or
(d) Some combination of (a), (b), and/or (c)?

On edit: Simple English version: "11 BBCWatcher words you no like. What word bad?"

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 12:34 pm

Simple English summary of my recommendations, with JunJun1993's reply:

1. Always tell truth to ICA.
2. ACRA Web sites no match. MoM has rules. Add word to "Director" if truth. No hurt, may help.
3. Letter of Consent good, no worry.

[U.S. Average Grade Level = 2.6.]

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 4:05 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:Simple English summary of my recommendations, with JunJun1993's reply:

1. Always tell truth to ICA.
2. ACRA Web sites no match. MoM has rules. Add word to "Director" if truth. No hurt, may help.
3. Letter of Consent good, no worry.
i believe BBCW has the best of intentions when replying to threads here. it does appear that he gets chewed for possibly giving some wrong advice from time to time.

this is not the first time i've seen it happen, but i try to give him the benefit of the doubt, or at least think he has no bad intentions whatever the accuracy/reliability of his replies may be.

my understanding from the OP is: he has worked for 4 years in Singapore, first on a DP (2012-2014), then EP (2014-2016), and just got a fresh 3-year P2 EP.

he mentioned he is a "Director" of his family-owned business in singapore.

but in BBCW's reply, whatever the reader's level of comprehension...
BBCWatcher wrote: First, be a little careful with the term "Director." Legally, for a company formed in Singapore, at least one "Director" of the company must be "ordinarily resident in Singapore." Part of the meaning of "ordinarily resident" is having Singaporean citizenship, Permanent Residence, or an EntrePass. You don't have any of those statuses. That ordinarily resident director also has to be a real director with a real, legitimate role in the company. So just be a bit careful here, to make sure ICA doesn't have any reason to believe you're the only real director.
does not mesh with:
BBCWatcher wrote: Maybe I'm being "paranoid." My default assumption is that everything is fine. However, just in case, I thought I'd mention these possible issues.
because as BBCW has astutely picked up, the OP is not an SC, SPR or on entrepass... so why mention that, if it wasn't (and isn't) pertinent to his situation?

bringing that up makes it appear to the OP that it is something he should be mindful of, or that he's doing something wrong (to be fair, he has had 2 successful EP applications).

and what's wrong with the OP being the sole company director?

further, BBCW appears to be assuming/insinuating that this applicant may try to be untruthful with ICA - i find nothing to suggest this is the case and this is the main reason why i'm speaking up.

the OP has, afterall, filled out two EP applications that requires a truthful declaration of his work history. and the OP is japanese... whom i find to be a truthful people on the whole.

(what's more, you appear to actually support eagle's view while protesting that everyone else has misunderstood you in your most recent reply! first bit of #2 was definitely not what you were going on about in your first reply to the OP.)
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 9:26 pm

Exactly what you said, Taxico.

His misinformation and unnecessary information does nothing but create worry and confusion for the OP.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 9:39 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:[OK, your post evidently means you disagree with the post you quoted. Please tell us how, specifically. Do you recommend that JunJun1993:

(a) Not check with the corporate secretary? or
(b) Get rid of the corporate secretary? or
(c) Work in Singapore without a Letter of Consent while holding a DP? or
(d) Some combination of (a), (b), and/or (c)?

On edit: Simple English version: "11 BBCWatcher words you no like. What word bad?"
You just don't get it, do you? JunJun has had multiple renewals of his EP. He is working legally as the manager (director, in the eyes of ACRA). He is asking about his chances of getting PR, especially because he is Japanese.

YOU take this simple request for information and twist and distort it in every conceivable way. None of your bullet points above have any relevancy to the question JunJun asked.

You distort and misinform. You tell him he can't legally be a director. You tell him ICA might be interested in him. You tell him that he should have another director besides himself. And in your bullet points above you are asking if he was working on a DP without a LOC, yet another reference to him having done something wrong, when in fact, there is no indication at all in his post that he has done anything wrong. Quite the contrary, it looks like he and his father have done everything right.

The question was about PR. I judge his chances are better than most.

You, however, continue with your blathering, scattershot approach by tossing in irrelevancies, pointless sidebars, and out and out false information. You are a disservice to posters with legitimate questions. You're getting close to crossing the line.

JunJun1993

Post by JunJun1993 » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 3:37 am

Thank you guys for giving lots of opinions and adivices.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 4:52 am

Hi JunJun,

I will try to answer your original question about your chances for PR. Without knowing all the factors that the ICA likes to consider in granting PR, I'd say:

The positive:
  1. You have been working for four years
  2. You are MD of a successful business in Singapore
  3. Your business is the kind that can/does employ Singaporeans without the need for a degree
  4. You have paid 3 years of taxes
  5. You are young
The negative:
  1. You are Japanese and don't fit "desirable" demographic characteristics
  2. You are young and single and might be inclined to move on after a while
  3. Your salary is OK but not great
  4. You don't have a degree
Although Singapore seems to like to grant PR's to technical people with degrees, I still think you've got a good chance because you are running a business which may/might eventually become yours... in any event, it's a family business. It keeps you tied down in Singapore. You have a reason to stay.

My sense is also that having a small business is good... you are less likely to be made redundant by some large MNC when it cuts costs or moves operations. And again, running what is essentially your own business provides you an incentive to stay... it is less likely that you will be transferred out for a promotion.

I judge that the nature of your business is will also be considered to be beneficial to Singapore, even though it isn't a tech business. Not everyone in Singapore is a PMET and you offer "average" people a job. It's also the kind of business that will have staying power... the need for auto parts isn't going to go away.

Now, I could be completely wrong, and the only way to find out is to make application for PR and see what happens. Unlike a lot of people who post about PR on this board, you meet the minimum qualifications of time in country and minimum number of tax assessments. That's a positive right there.

If you do apply for PR, I'd make a point of putting together a business history and a business plan. It's what I did. If you can, emphasize the hiring of Singaporeans, and the use of Singaporean firms and banks in support of your business, for example, accounting firms, secretarial services, package delivery firms... you get the idea. The point is to strengthen your hand by showing that you know what you are doing, and that your business is viable, now and into the future.

Finally, ignore BBCWatcher's comments to you. He is simply wrong. You have a complete right to be a director in a company for which the EP has been issued to you. Your EP makes you ordinarily resident in Singapore. You don't need any other kind of rented director.

Also, ignore BBCWatcher's comments about being a "real director" versus a "Director of Sales". ACRA doesn't care what you call yourself... manager, CEO, president, chief grunt... if you have the primary management function within the company, you are a director for all purposes under the law.

Also, have a good laugh about BBCWatcher's comments about your work history, especially the part about "past 10 years of your Employment History." Clearly, at age 22, you graduated from high school at age 18 and have been working ever since. You don't need 10 years, and if you want you could list part time jobs as a youth to bolster yourself. Of course, if you've been a runner for the Yakuza since age 10, maybe BBCWatcher has a point.

Good luck... hope you are successful... let us know how things turn out.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 9:55 am

So even English below a U.S. third grade reading level is too difficult to comprehend? Wow.

Here's the advice, again:

(a) Tell ICA the truth.

(b) If truthful, and out of an abundance of caution, add a word to your "Director" title in your PR application. If you are the "Sales Director," say so. If you are the "Regional Director," say so. Won't hurt, might help.

(c) JunJun1993 had a Letter of Consent when he needed one, so no problem there.

Is that too complicated, still? Lord, I hope not. This advice shouldn't be controversial!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:14 am

Your intransigent stupidity amazes me.
BBCWatcher wrote:So even English below a U.S. third grade reading level is too difficult to comprehend? Wow.

Here's the advice, again:

(a) Tell ICA the truth.
About what? Why are you so focused on this? Seems like OP has been truthful from the git go, and you keep making this asinine suggestion. Everyone should tell the truth... even you... but you seem to be failing your own yardstick because...
(b) If truthful, and out of an abundance of caution, add a word to your "Director" title in your PR application. If you are the "Sales Director," say so. If you are the "Regional Director," say so. Won't hurt, might help.
You once again mislead and suggest that he lie. He stated that he is the DIRECTOR. This is a legal term, a management position with primary decision making responsibility in the company. He RUNS THE COMPANY. You are suggesting he lie. And to what end?

Why the hell would he want to say anything different? WHY? He has the absolute right to be a director (a managing director, in fact) in his company for which the EP has been issued. How can you be so f*cking thick? Why would you suggest he give false and misleading information, AGAIN?
(c) JunJun1993 had a Letter of Consent when he needed one, so no problem there.

Is that too complicated, still? Lord, I hope not. This advice shouldn't be controversial!
That shoots your theory of him being dishonest or, not above board all to shit, doesn't it BBCW.

This is your last warning. If you persist in this nonsense, I am going to ban you from posting. Capiche?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 10:31 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
You once again mislead and suggest that he lie.
OK, I must ask: do you have any English language proficiency? I've tried sub-third grade English, I've tried middle school level English, and I've tried secondary school level English. Nothing seems to work with you.

If he is the Sales Director, Managing Director, Regional Director, Sales and Marketing Director...whatever is the truth, I recommend that he be precise and use his full title.

The "Director," full stop, literally means he's the only director. If he is -- if that's the truth -- then so be it. (In that event, I might recommend he not apply for PR.) If it isn't the truth, then I suggest he tell the truth and use his full title. Please note: JunJun1993 never posted that he is the only director. He never used the definite article "the." I don't know whether he is the only director or not. I try to avoid drawing conclusions without evidence.

Complicated? No, one wouldn't think so. Controversial? Shouldn't be!

I have literally, repeatedly, explicitly told him to tell the truth, the full truth. And you've questioned otherwise? Are you telling him to prevaricate? (Look up that word in a dictionary if you need to.) I don't get it!

Have you ever been assessed for your English language proficiency? At what level?