Singapore Expats

Bitten by dolphin

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Bitten by dolphin

Post by menudown » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 4:05 pm

Why dont they just let the dolphins free :(

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/m ... attraction

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Bitten by dolphin

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 8:39 pm

It's totally disgusting.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 9:54 pm

Caged animals are awesome! The more intelligent the animal the more enjoyment I get from seeing them trapped.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 10:35 pm

Then you ought to like it here. We have over 3 million trapped in concrete cubes that reach vertically into the sky for upwards of 30 stories or more and each and every one has bars on the windows and doors. Granted not all of them are what you would call intelligent though. ;-)

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

ue

Post by NZinSG » Thu, 25 Aug 2016 10:46 pm

LOL

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:57 am

27? They have 27 dolphins there? For real? How can you ever need 27 dolphins? Utterly absurd.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Bitten by dolphin

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 10:09 am

Max Headroom wrote:27? They have 27 dolphins there? For real? How can you ever need 27 dolphins? Utterly absurd.
A side story.

The dolphins were being acclimatised in Philippines before being flown to Singapore .

The Philippine equivalent of WWF or somebody filed a case stopping the transfer from Philippines to Singapore , as the travel will be traumatic etc etc, and a private zoo guy supporting the case demanded the dolphins be transferred to HIS zoo, since they can't be released back in the wild !!!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:07 am

And you dangle your delicious looking toe in the bloody water and wonder why an animal nipped it? I can't believe that turd is a dentist.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 2:58 pm

i'm not sure if this is a suitable post... but a close friend of mine worked with captive dolphins in singapore for an extended period of time (2 years on an almost daily basis).

these intelligent but spiteful creatures bite more often than publicized by the media.

these dolphins essentially spend their time plotting how to get fed and kill humans. not necessarily in that order.

the ones that have carried out acts of "revenge" are usually kept in a small (literally un-swimmable) pen and neglected. from what i'm told, they get more and more vengeful and have very long memories...

worse are the mothers that are separated permanently from their offspring - these are very social/familial animals. over time, they become depressed and get into a zombie-like state. so near, yet so far (they can hear each other).

some start to think (???) of humans as the enemy and try to drown or maim them.

the unwanted dolphins are usually not relocated... i recall one reason was "bad publicity."
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 3:11 pm

Jesus wept.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 3:34 pm

ecureilx wrote:
The dolphins were being acclimatised in Philippines before being flown to Singapore .
Should have made them swim.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 4:49 pm

taxico wrote: these intelligent but spiteful creatures bite more often than publicized by the media.

these dolphins essentially spend their time plotting how to get fed and kill humans. not necessarily in that order.

the ones that have carried out acts of "revenge" are usually kept in a small (literally un-swimmable) pen and neglected. from what i'm told, they get more and more vengeful and have very long memories...
I remember something like that, and the dolphins in SEA aquarium had a lot of scars. When I asked the guide she said something like it's normal for dolphins to bite each other playfully ... makes sense now ...

bgd wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Should have made them swim.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 4:56 pm

PNGMK wrote:Jesus wept.
This!

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:02 pm

ecureilx wrote:
taxico wrote: these intelligent but spiteful creatures bite more often than publicized by the media.

I remember something like that, and the dolphins in SEA aquarium had a lot of scars. When I asked the guide she said something like it's normal for dolphins to bite each other playfully ... makes sense now ...
i believe the scars are inflicted amongst the dolphins... they do get separated when they behave boisterously. although this happens often because of frustration, and they are a frustrated lot, this may happen when they want to mate, too...

physically, the people in charge of the facility keeps the dolphins as healthy as possible. their diet is of the best quality and most nutritious. local fishermen get paid a premium for bringing their best catch to the facility.

in fact, the performing dolphins (and those not ostracized by their charge) are checked on (physically and pseudo-medically) a few times throughout the day.

the ostracized dolphins are checked on as well, but with less regularity. this is/was due to the lack of persons that can command the dolphin to adopt the various positions needed to carry out the examinations... and not being killed in the process of sticking a thermometer up its butt (not a joke).

the vet gets paid big bucks to drop in, so it's something they try to avoid by being on top of things.

mentally, though, that's totally not the case. having seen the "behind the scenes" videos regularly, to me it seems true that they are all basket cases by the time they mature. for creatures as intelligent as dolphins, i suppose such an environment can be hell...

my friend opined that these dolphins cannot be returned to the wild - they will die either as they don't know how (for those born in captivity) or no longer know how to survive/behave socially in the open ocean.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bitten by dolphin

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 27 Aug 2016 4:15 pm

my friend opined that these dolphins cannot be returned to the wild - they will die either as they don't know how (for those born in captivity) or no longer know how to survive/behave socially in the open ocean.
So what about those animal rights groups demanding the dolphins be released in the wild? :( including the Philippine WWF.

Return to “General Discussions”