Singapore Expats Forum

SC application approved

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
WoShiDavid95
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri, 19 Aug 2016

Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:13 am

ecureilx wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote:Seriously, is it even possible to bribe our way to NTU/NUS, if that's what you're implying... Singapore is like virtually free of corruption. I got into NTU purely on merit, I did well enough for O levels to get into a JC and well enough for my A levels to enter NTU's Chemical Engineering... that should mean I'm competitive enough, no?


Also means your parents could afford to let you study in Singapore, something those more competitive may not be able to do due to $.

Especially if an F&B worker is deemed competitive enough for PR...


That's not a good attitude. Everybody has their importance in society, and who knows, in the grand scheme of things, maybe Singapore doesn't need Chemical Engineers to be permanently anchored in Singapore? ;)

Can you feed a 1,000 people with your Engineering Degree ? ;)

PS are your local friends of the atas class ?



That's not what I meant, I'm just saying if you're basing it purely on competitiveness then it doesn't add up if an F&B worker gets approved whereas those with more qualifications don't.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:16 am

WoShiDavid95 wrote:That's not what I meant, I'm just saying if you're basing it purely on competitiveness then it doesn't add up if an F&B worker gets approved whereas those with more qualifications don't.


I still don't get it. Why compare yourself with an FnB staff ?

They know how to cook in a country where the vast majority eats outside, and are in demand, and, "may be" Singapore (as I mentioned) doesn't need Chemical Engineers become part of the country ?

WoShiDavid95
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri, 19 Aug 2016

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:24 am

ecureilx wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote:That's not what I meant, I'm just saying if you're basing it purely on competitiveness then it doesn't add up if an F&B worker gets approved whereas those with more qualifications don't.


I still don't get it. Why compare yourself with an FnB staff ?

They know how to cook in a country where the vast majority eats outside, and are in demand, and, "may be" Singapore (as I mentioned) doesn't need Chemical Engineers become part of the country ?


It's because someone else was using F&B as an example... when I say competitiveness, I assume it's the amount of time and study you need to be qualified for the job and that requirement is clearly lower for an F&B worker earning $2k/month compared to a degree holder from a local university here... unless you mean something else by 'competitive'.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:56 am

WoShiDavid95 wrote:It's because someone else was using F&B as an example... when I say competitiveness, I assume it's the amount of time and study you need to be qualified for the job and that requirement is clearly lower for an F&B worker earning $2k/month compared to a degree holder from a local university here... unless you mean something else by 'competitive'.


So those in FnB are below your level?

Do you know how many over qualified and experienced Asians in FnB take up jobs at 2K in Singapore as there is no job or poor pay back home ? And I am talking about some guys who even have masters back home !

And, on a similar vein, nurses with 4 years degree and lot of experience from nearby countries take up jobs for 2k plus, so does that make them lesser educated or not competitive as a Chemical Engineer ? Yeah, I guess so as they didn't have parents who could not send them to study overseas... and they are not competitive enough to have won the job over a thousands of applicants from their own country.

PS. I know some foreign doctors with 8 years plus training working in Singapore for 5K+, so what does that mean ? They are extremely incompetent and not competitive enough to earn twice or thrice that amount?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: SC application approved

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:59 am

Just a thought to mull over. If you have 500 Chemical Engineers graduating from the three Unis in one year, how many do you reckon will find jobs in their elective degree field? Not all of them but a lot will. If there are left overs then there is already an excess of Chemical Engineers here and therefore, with the country trying to cut back on foreigners. Will they find a job! Singaporeans first. You could spend 6 months looking for a job as MOM could theoretically pull the plug and not issue an EP or S pass thereby blocking you from employment (Yes you have a bond but that's with the MOE, not MOM. MOM doesn't care. All they care about is protecting and keeping jobs for locals.

F&B? Think about it. Singaporean hate the F&B industries with a passion. The Chinese mentality here is that servitude to others is low class, therefore they will only do it when there is no other choice. So the government, trying to cut down on foreign workers, makes some of those on S and WPs even, PR. They are grateful and will probably produce more the just one child and will not move to greener pastures so easily. And it fills up a traditionally foreign employee slot. Makes sense that way.

WoShiDavid95
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri, 19 Aug 2016

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 1:02 am

ecureilx wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote:It's because someone else was using F&B as an example... when I say competitiveness, I assume it's the amount of time and study you need to be qualified for the job and that requirement is clearly lower for an F&B worker earning $2k/month compared to a degree holder from a local university here... unless you mean something else by 'competitive'.


So those in FnB are below your level?

Do you know how many over qualified and experienced Asians in FnB take up jobs at 2K in Singapore as there is no job or poor pay back home ? And I am talking about some guys who even have masters back home !

And, on a similar vein, nurses with 4 years degree and lot of experience from nearby countries take up jobs for 2k plus, so does that make them lesser educated or not competitive as a Chemical Engineer ? Yeah, I guess so as they didn't have parents who could not send them to study overseas... and they are not competitive enough to have won the job over a thousands of applicants from their own country.

PS. I know some foreign doctors with 8 years plus training working in Singapore for 5K+, so what does that mean ? They are extremely incompetent and not competitive enough to earn twice or thrice that amount?



Alright I'm not here to start an argument and I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, but basically my point is that a person working in an area where higher expertise and knowledge is required should surely have a higher chance of approval if that's what you mean by competitive and that's the sole criteria, end of story... so you can stop your tirade and making me out to be the Antichrist or some form of evil...

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:21 am

WoShiDavid95 wrote:Alright I'm not here to start an argument and I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, but basically my point is that a person working in an area where higher expertise and knowledge is required should surely have a higher chance of approval if that's what you mean by competitive and that's the sole criteria, end of story... so you can stop your tirade and making me out to be the Antichrist or some form of evil...


No, cool.

I agree, you are God's gift to Man kind ;)

Are you Related to somebody I know ? Somebody who thinks they are of a special breed ? ;)

WoShiDavid95
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri, 19 Aug 2016

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:26 am

ecureilx wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote:Alright I'm not here to start an argument and I apologize if I rubbed anyone the wrong way, but basically my point is that a person working in an area where higher expertise and knowledge is required should surely have a higher chance of approval if that's what you mean by competitive and that's the sole criteria, end of story... so you can stop your tirade and making me out to be the Antichrist or some form of evil...


No, cool.

I agree, you are God's gift to Man kind ;)

Are you Related to somebody I know ? Somebody who thinks they are of a special breed ? ;)


Like I said, enough and stop with that holier-than-thou attitude... I apologize if my messages have rubbed anyone the wrong way, but it was not my intention to start an argument or belittle anyone or come off an entitled or whatever so it would be appreciated if you will stop what you're doing and making me out to be the personification of Satan or whatever. Peace out.
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:27 am

WoShiDavid95 wrote:, but basically my point is that a person working in an area where higher expertise and knowledge is required should surely have a higher chance of approval if that's what you mean by competitive and that's the sole criteria, end of story...


And somebody asked this in a different but related thread ..

Wanna say something about it ?

sgsince2009 wrote:In Singapore since 2009.
Indian, working in as Chemical Engineer in mulitnational company for 7 years(EP).
Annual income around 120K. Wife working as well. Have a kid.
PR rejected 3 times.
Would be applying again in September this year.
Unable to figure out the reason for rejections.
==================
Any insight would be helpful.
Thanks :)
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:F&B? Think about it. Singaporean hate the F&B industries with a passion. The Chinese mentality here is that servitude to others is low class, therefore they will only do it when there is no other choice. So the government, trying to cut down on foreign workers, makes some of those on S and WPs even, PR. They are grateful and will probably produce more the just one child and will not move to greener pastures so easily. And it fills up a traditionally foreign employee slot. Makes sense that way.


I Disagree : chemical engineers must be given priority ;)

WoShiDavid95
Member
Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri, 19 Aug 2016

Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:34 am

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:F&B? Think about it. Singaporean hate the F&B industries with a passion. The Chinese mentality here is that servitude to others is low class, therefore they will only do it when there is no other choice. So the government, trying to cut down on foreign workers, makes some of those on S and WPs even, PR. They are grateful and will probably produce more the just one child and will not move to greener pastures so easily. And it fills up a traditionally foreign employee slot. Makes sense that way.


I Disagree : chemical engineers must be given priority ;)


At this point, you're now just trolling... yes, you've made your point that a PR is far from assured. My initial point was merely to state that if you're purely basing it on competitiveness and qualifications, then the argument doesn't add up because of well, the example you just provided. Unless you meant something else by 'competitive'. That's all

I did not expect to rub anyone the wrong way or open a can of worms or whatever else that happened afterwards. I apologize for that, and it would be appreciated if you can stop what you're doing.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: SC application approved

Postby BBCWatcher » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 9:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Singaporean hate the F&B industries with a passion.

I don't think that generalization holds true any more, especially among younger generations. It's more (only?) a question of money, and now there's a great deal of money in dining. Many Singaporeans would love to be Michelin-starred chefs or to own successful restaurant groups. It's becoming the hip thing to do, actually. Lots of young Singaporeans -- with parental support, including financial support -- are going into the business. Consider this guy, for example. He moved from banking into a particular branch of chemical engineering: molecular gastronomy. However, he made his move in a financially smart way. That's the real issue, for better or worse.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: SC application approved

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:00 am

They are but a minuscule drop in the bucket. As of 2014 there were 6,859 F&B businesses comprised of 2,469 restaurants, 450 Fast Food joints, 394 caterers and 3,546 hawker businesses*. You are talking about owner/operators. We are talking about employees, not entrepreneurs/business(wo)men. Let's try to stay on topic for a change.

*Singstat

beard1
Regular
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue, 21 Jul 2015

Re: SC application approved

Postby beard1 » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 11:31 am

Dukunberanak wrote:It said you are welcome to stay on your existing pass


Just highlighting this for all the "kiss of death" believers out there.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: SC application approved

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:10 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:I don't think that generalization holds true any more, especially among younger generations. It's more (only?) a question of money, and now there's a great deal of money in dining. Many Singaporeans would love to be Michelin-starred chefs or to own successful restaurant groups. It's becoming the hip thing to do, actually. Lots of young Singaporeans -- with parental support, including financial support -- are going into the business.


Around 2000 or so, quite a few Singaporeans I know, who were in FnB got edged out by the competition, and changed career.

And post 2010, they are getting back to FnB. But, that is a small number.

It's not like the flood gates are open. Despite 95% government subsidy plus even allowance, FnB is not that glamorous as you describe it. And it's not even close to post SARS where every other guy wanted to jump into nursing and healthcare.

Nor do the bosses pay even decent salary.

No. Forget rich kids trying out businesses. That's not like a lot are doing it.

Heck, In Indonesia a rich kid even tried his dream of running an airline - with his parent's money... didn't mean all his compatriots jumped into the airline business.

WoShiDavid95 wrote:At this point, you're now just trolling... yes, you've made your point that a PR is far from assured. My initial point was merely to state that if you're purely basing it on competitiveness and qualifications, then the argument doesn't add up because of well, the example you just provided. Unless you meant something else by 'competitive'. That's all


Hang on, did I really say you have low or no chances? Where that come from? So that's what irked you ?

In all fairness, I do agree. Chemical Engineers are breed apart.


WoShiDavid95 wrote:I apologize for that, and it would be appreciated if you can stop what you're doing.


Yes, so should you, feeding my genuine thoughts on how you view the rest of the society!
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest