Singapore Expats Forum

Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: RE: Re: Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Postby taxico » Mon, 29 Aug 2016 11:56 pm

Mollythekitten wrote:
ecureilx wrote:I asked why one day in a hostel, and the answer was, Landlord checks the house every Sunday ;)


Screw that noise. What kind of hell hole forces weekly inspections? People in AUS were annoyed with 3 inspections a year.


LOL, i found that Singaporean are scared to break rules and they are really scared of strangers, i don't know why. That's why ecureilx friend's landlord check his/her place every Sunday, are they afraid of terrorism or other things? Because for illegal immigrants, it's none of the LLs business, and i think Singapore also have lots of illegal immigrant, it is something that cannot be prevented. My friend LLs also checks her place every week! :?[/quote]

LLs can get into trouble if illegal immigrants are in their property. not necessarily actual charges filed, but the threat and the investigation before such charges that will inconvenience and stress out any LL.

this is why all TAs will have a "no illegal immigrant" clause...

further, there should be no short term (<6 months) letting of any property. you say "my mom's staying for 1 night" but... nothing's free in this world. you may think otherwise, but a quick look at local judgements say the judges don't agree with you.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9288
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: RE: Re: Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Postby x9200 » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 4:45 am

taxico wrote:further, there should be no short term (<6 months) letting of any property. you say "my mom's staying for 1 night" but... nothing's free in this world. you may think otherwise, but a quick look at local judgements say the judges don't agree with you.

Could you please quote some of these judgements?

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: RE: Re: Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Postby taxico » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 7:08 pm

x9200 wrote:
taxico wrote:further, there should be no short term (<6 months) letting of any property. you say "my mom's staying for 1 night" but... nothing's free in this world. you may think otherwise, but a quick look at local judgements say the judges don't agree with you.

Could you please quote some of these judgements?


not right now, but i'll poke through lawnet or SLW when i have time.

my opinion, after having read more than a few judgments, is that a the singapore bench is unlikely to believe that someone would do something for nothing especially when it comes to breaking rules/laws...

letting a random homeless stranger stay in your home in the dead of winter for one night in fear that he/she may freeze to death is different from letting your mom stay in your home for 1 night.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9288
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Postby x9200 » Tue, 30 Aug 2016 7:18 pm

I don't get it. Why the Singapore bench can not believe my mom stays at my place for free? It completely makes no sense to me. Besides, I don't think it is illegal per se (see the other thread on the work permit candidate awaiting the pass) or even illegal at all.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3186
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Postby taxico » Thu, 01 Sep 2016 6:49 pm

because... as a related party, i suppose a judge may think it's more quid pro quo than pro bono.

what i said before was: saying a friend or a relative is staying for free at your house is no excuse for (possibly?) breaking the law because a judge will likely not believe (from me reading past legal judgments) that you are not benefiting in some form (however intangible the benefit may be).

anyway, that's about all i can add to this without searching through lawnet/SLW pdfs.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9288
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Postby x9200 » Thu, 01 Sep 2016 8:07 pm

taxico wrote:because... as a related party, i suppose a judge may think it's more quid pro quo than pro bono.

what i said before was: saying a friend or a relative is staying for free at your house is no excuse for (possibly?) breaking the law because a judge will likely not believe (from me reading past legal judgments) that you are not benefiting in some form (however intangible the benefit may be).

anyway, that's about all i can add to this without searching through lawnet/SLW pdfs.

I could understand this sort of logic if it was a rookie overzealous tax officer saying it, but not a judge under some general civil law proceedings. Sorry Taxico, I found it simply unbelievable. The law is made to serve social justice and it is both common, customary, fair and reasonable to host your own parents*. In my 15years in SIngapore I've never seen any court decision that would surprise me to that extend as the one you are suggesting here is being frequently made.

Besides, it is also counter-logical - from my experience, when renting the whole apartment the LL would just don't mind having one extra person on board, so where would be this imaginary benefit?

If you have some time one day, I would really appreciate to point me to such ruling.

*)we are talking about periods not exceeding the short term visa validity.

JeremyJGreen
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 04 Jan 2010

Re: Unpleasant Stay experience is Singapore!!!!!!

Postby JeremyJGreen » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 12:42 pm

Write a letter via the agent saying stating that this is harassment and affecting the enjoyment of the property.

Say that you expect no further interruption unless there is a breach of the rental agreement.

Should you be forced to leave due to further ongoing harassment you will be suing the landlord for not dealing with the situation.

If you ever needed to do this you would lodge the case through small claims court at low cost. I am not sure if you would sue your landlord or the lady complaining to him, I suspect the landlord but you could do both!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests