Singapore Expats

Visiting SG soon--what should I prepare myself for as an obese American?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
fatguyinSG

Visiting SG soon--what should I prepare myself for as an obese American?

Post by fatguyinSG » Sun, 21 Aug 2016 8:01 pm

I am visiting SG for work at some point. I am an obese white American male. I'm not proud of this by any means, but it is what it is. I have never been anywhere in Asia before, and while I have read enough to know obesity is uncommon, I guess I'm curious about how I will be treated. Am I going to be a laughingstock? Should I just avoid the hawker centres altogether because it will look bad if I'm eating unhealthy food? Also to give a frame of reference, I am 5'9" and 240 lbs, although I am a semi-competitive weightlifter so it's not 100% fat. Thanks for any input, I just want to prepare myself mentally.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Visiting SG soon--what should I prepare myself for as an obese American?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 21 Aug 2016 8:31 pm

fatguyinSG wrote:I am visiting SG for work at some point. I am an obese white American male. I'm not proud of this by any means, but it is what it is. I have never been anywhere in Asia before, and while I have read enough to know obesity is uncommon, I guess I'm curious about how I will be treated. Am I going to be a laughingstock? Should I just avoid the hawker centres altogether because it will look bad if I'm eating unhealthy food? Also to give a frame of reference, I am 5'9" and 240 lbs, although I am a semi-competitive weightlifter so it's not 100% fat. Thanks for any input, I just want to prepare myself mentally.
As long as you don't need assistance, you are good.

Locals and foreigners alike, sometimes may take a second look but there are locals too who tip the scale at 240. Heck, some local chicks are bigger than you and have no qualms wearing tights ...

Fret not.

Advice about unhealthy food ? Unless you asked, everybody here mind their own business. Or post on social media if they see something worth ;)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Visiting SG soon--what should I prepare myself for as an obese American?

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 8:49 am

I don't think you will face many problems.. Try the hawker center food, some of it is unhealthy not all of it...,bus seats are rather small though, and if you want to shop for clothes there are limited options.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:30 am

Maybe you can find something in this reddit thread that will help re: clothes

https://www.reddit.com/r/singapore/comm ... s_for_men/
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:40 am

fatguyinSG wrote:I am visiting SG for work at some point. I am an obese white American male. I'm not proud of this by any means, but it is what it is. I have never been anywhere in Asia before, and while I have read enough to know obesity is uncommon, I guess I'm curious about how I will be treated. Am I going to be a laughingstock? Should I just avoid the hawker centres altogether because it will look bad if I'm eating unhealthy food? Also to give a frame of reference, I am 5'9" and 240 lbs, although I am a semi-competitive weightlifter so it's not 100% fat. Thanks for any input, I just want to prepare myself mentally.
Mate, 109kg and you ask this sort of question? I could understand if you were over 200kg. You will be treated as any other person. From your post you should be more concerned about self-esteem than the obesity.

BTW, the claim about low obesity in Asia is debatable. It's a different body built with perhaps different genetic based physiology.
https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/obesity-pr ... ease-risk/

I believe I've seen some papers claiming SE Asian overweight/obesity to be close to 30% within some large population groups.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 11:02 am

x9200, based on BMI calculators (which are notoriously out of sync depending one muscle mass). his height and weight put him in the Obese range (35.4), so he's correct (partially) in his description of himself. I was there and I believe you were as well at one point. You know me. He's only 5 cm taller than me.

"For example, athletes with dense bones and well developed muscles or people with large body frames may be obese by BMI standards (i.e. they have BMIs greater than 30), but yet have little body fat. On the other hand, inactive people may seem to have acceptable weights when, in fact, they may have too much body fat."

http://coolconversion.com/heath/bmi-fee ... s__240_lbs_
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 11:12 am

SMS, I am not saying he is not obese (I am still obese myself BTW), I am saying I found it strange that the OP is so much bothered by it. Have you ever been bothered what some people thought about it having actually pretty mild obesity?

Besides, with the given obesity rate in the States and a known fact that Singapore is a tourist magnet, how likely is it that Singaporeans would not be familiar with a sight of an obese American? There must be hundred thousands of them visiting Singapore every single year.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 11:20 am

You're right. I never worried what others thought about me weight or anything else for that matter. And yeah, obesity here in Singapore is already at alarming levels (around 30%).

http://www.genre.com/knowledge/publicat ... ng-en.html

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 11:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You're right. I never worried what others thought about me weight or anything else for that matter. And yeah, obesity here in Singapore is already at alarming levels (around 30%).

http://www.genre.com/knowledge/publicat ... ng-en.html
You're right, SMS... I've never thought about your weight or lack thereof... it's that damn bald head and beard!!! :cool: :twisted: :devil:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:01 pm

:tongue: I always say doG only made a few perfect heads. He hid the rest with hair. :mrgreen:

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote::tongue: I always say doG only made a few perfect heads. He hid the rest with hair. :mrgreen:
Which explains why your hair appears on your face instead. :mrgreen:
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:26 pm

OP - Your going to be just fine... the ladies at Four Floors of Whores may want a few dollars extra for a full body massage but that's about it.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:36 pm

It is great that OP is taking the first step in ensuring his own well-being. Kudos to you for trying to arm yourself with knowledge and empowering yourself. Chinese (and most Asian?) culture is quite comfortable commenting about somebody's physical feature. It is usually not done to put the person down or make them feel bad. And a lot of times, that is how they endure with each other. Just like this HK celebrity. She is affectionately known as 肥肥 (fei fei = chubby/ loose fitting) due to her stature. She is very well-loved and her nick name is not meant to be a put down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Shum

One thing that I can think of, some escalators are especially narrowly-built. Not sure what the builders were thinking? Can be a bit troublesome for those with larger girth?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:45 pm

earthfriendly wrote:It is great that OP is taking the first step in ensuring his own well-being. Kudos to you for trying to arm yourself with knowledge and empowering yourself. Chinese (and most Asian?) culture is quite comfortable commenting about somebody's physical feature. It is usually not done to put the person down or make them feel bad.
They will do it in front of you right in your face just using a language they think you don't understand but with their body language and all other possible signs making it more than obvious for just about anybody to understand.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:54 pm

Aiyoh, so mean one! I don't live there. How common is it? Concentrated in which area or sector of society?