Singapore Expats

Visiting SG soon--what should I prepare myself for as an obese American?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Re: Visiting SG soon--what should I prepare myself for as an obese American?

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 1:11 pm

Not mean at all lah, just factually correct. At least for a majority of the commenting in public concerning Angmohs (and such). For the obesity issue, I don't really think anybody would even bother especially if the OP is 109kg only.

But I wonder another thing, being fat used to be a status symbol and in Singapore people still great you with "have you eaten yet?" so actually being fat and from the US (not sure if the OP is an Angmoh) could be seen as something even positive. Or this is already a past thing?

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 1:22 pm

You are correct. During my mom's generation, who is in her 80's. They have gone thru poverty. And they suffered from hunger during WWII. But I don't think it holds thru anymore since my generation. They wanna be slim as it is associated with being attractive. Exposure to the media and pop culture. As for myself, I do not define beauty in only one way i.e. physical. Beauty can come in many forms, shapes and sizes

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 3:24 pm

EF, if you caucasian and don't speak any of the other three languages, then it's the whole island! lol
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 8:23 pm

Rule of thumb - if you can fit inside an economy airline seat, then you won't have a 'problem' in many countries.

Bus seats and train seats aren't that wide, so if you're shy about rubbing shoulers or worried about making others uncomfortable, then just stand.

As for comments from others - I had two shop assistants comment about me (made comments such as joking if I was travelling here and if I freak any whores) right in front of me at the front counter- I understand Mandarin a little, I felt like telling them to freak off. Instead I simply told them I speak mandarin and walked away.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 23 Aug 2016 10:46 am

You might find the heat a little uncomfortable, but then so do most of the locals it seems.