Singapore Expats

How can I move back to Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: How can I move back to Singapore?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 2:34 am

Strong Eagle wrote: It certainly can't hurt to make application and try to get an exception. I have generally found Singapore authorities to have flexibility.
In the case of citizens, nowadays, yes. Others aren't so lucky any more..
shine65 wrote:I did not get your PM.

Thk You
You should look for it, its at the top right corner.

shine65

Re: How can I move back to Singapore?

Post by shine65 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 2:36 am

Thks Ecurelix for the link!

Strong Eagle, I will give it another dhot with ICA. When I visited SIngapore last year, I did go to ICA about it... they are bias... the officer told me u need to apply for job... da...da..da..

I know of a Singaporean Chinese in Texas. She is 62 yrs old. She bought a ranch here. She has both US & Sing citizen.

Anyway, she decided to give up her singapore citizen to withdraw all her cpf funds to pay for her ranch... The ICA officer who was handling her case told her that not to give up Singapore citizen but she told him she needs to withdraw her cpf etc. He told her she can still do it and allowed her to keep her singapore citizenship... So, I guess it all depends on which ICA officer u get... SHe has both Sing & US citizenship and withdrew her cpf funds and living here..

Life is not fair!

shine65

Post by shine65 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 2:45 am

Ecureflix, sorry I am new to this site and was not aware about the PM. I did see your PM and replied to it. TIA!!!

shine65

Post by shine65 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 2:54 am

Yes, I have my savings here to show proof that i can support myself in singapore. Since I am in the US, the only way now is for me to communicate with them via email.

What is the right process to do what strong eagle recommended?

Thk You!

shine65

Post by shine65 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 3:32 am

Since my mom is a singapore citizen, Can I use this PR application form? On Part A, selecting the 1st option : Spouse/Child of a singapore citizen... since technically I am a child of a singapore citizen..

https://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/d ... 4Jan15.pdf

Thk You

shine65

Post by shine65 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 3:39 am

No, I can't ... I have be to under 21... Shoot!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 9:06 am

I think your only robust option is to get a work pass (unless you are in love and dating an SG citizen). Having a lot of overseas experience and a degree in a domain in demand in SG should help you. As mentioned, the only negative factor here may be your age, but this is not like a no go factor.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 9:07 am

shine65 wrote:However, been a single female... I am a bit nervous about living in Malaysia not knowing where is a safe area...
That should be easy enough to research. Start by looking where Singaporeans are retiring in Johor.

Statistically, on a national basis, Malaysia's homicide rate is much lower than that of the United States (3.9 v. 2.3 according to recent data). So if you want to lower your statistical risk of being murdered then moving to Malaysia would accomplish that, on average.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 9:35 am

BBCWatcher wrote:
shine65 wrote:However, been a single female... I am a bit nervous about living in Malaysia not knowing where is a safe area...
That should be easy enough to research. Start by looking where Singaporeans are retiring in Johor.

Statistically, on a national basis, Malaysia's homicide rate is much lower than that of the United States (3.9 v. 2.3 according to recent data). So if you want to lower your statistical risk of being murdered then moving to Malaysia would accomplish that, on average.
Image Image Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:33 am

shine65 wrote:My mom do have a US PR.
Not the best idea if she's not actually living in the United States since she is subject to U.S. tax and financial reporting. How long as she been a U.S. permanent resident?
shine65 wrote:Yes, Cisco is laying off 14,0000 employees.
5,500 actually, about 7% of its workforce. The 14,000 figure was rumored but inaccurate.

shine65

Post by shine65 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 10:45 am

Thks x9200, I did apply for jobs.. so far no success.. still trying...

BBCWatcher, my mom was living with me for a while and that's how I found out that she hates it here. Her PR just expired and I am not renewing it. She has no income to report. She is dependent on her kids to support her.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 7:47 pm

shine65 wrote:Her PR just expired and I am not renewing it.
OK, her green card expired. However, if she was a long-term resident then the mere expiration of her green card has zero impact on her IRS and Treasury responsibilities -- they continue. In that case, she has to file IRS Form 8854 to "check out." Checking out of the U.S. tax and financial reporting system is an entirely separate process. Quoting the IRS, "You are a long-term resident (LTR) if you were a lawful permanent resident of the United States in at least 8 of the last 15 tax years ending with the year your status as an LTR ends."

If she doesn't fit the definition of a LTR, OK, but it's still prudent (LTR or not) to let USCIS know by filing Form I-407. Filing that form assures that the LTR "clock" is stopped.
She has no income to report.
OK, but she still may have/have had a FinCEN Form 114 filing responsibility, and IRS Form 8854 still applies (if it applies).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 7:56 pm

BBCWatcher wrote: OK, her green card expired. However, if she was a long-term resident then the mere expiration of her green card has zero impact on her IRS and Treasury responsibilities -- they continue. In that case, she has to file IRS Form 8854 to "check out."
Does the above help get OP to Singapore? Image

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 8:07 pm

ecureilx wrote:Does the above help get OP to Singapore? Image
Although that's certainly not a requirement for a polite discussion, yes, it well could, as it happens. It's at least not pleasant when you're having to help a parent clean up an IRS-related mess. But more importantly, if Shine65's mother has not filed Form I-407 and still visits the U.S. (on vacation), and if her mother then ends up a burden to U.S. Medicaid (for example) -- something that happens often enough with elderly parents -- Shine65 could still be held financially responsible for her mother. That would be truly ugly and could affect Shine65's ability even to buy a plane ticket to Singapore. Filing Form I-407 assures that Shine65's financial sponsorship ends, and it's important to do at least for that reason.

If Form I-407 has already been filed, great, but a lot of people "forget" and a few then get caught in a bad situation that can be financially ruinous. That's why I mention it, because I care about Shine65 and her mother.

shine65

Post by shine65 » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 8:17 pm

Thks for your concern guys!!!