Singapore Expats

PR application questions and approval chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR application questions

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 1:42 am

dynamic.dante wrote:PTS is just one of the paths to PR.
Yeah, but with all the new financial regulations. Indonesian Chinese are not the hot commodity they were before. They also stopped the LPR scheme as well a few years back (around the time you first started Secondary, I'm guessing. And they quit offering PR application letters to Seniors in the Uni's as well around 4, maybe 5 years ago. We've also seen fair numbers who did not take up the offer when it was made in Uni and decided to apply a couple of years after work here and they were rejected. As the funds from Indonesia have dried up due to new banking regulations it's getting rough.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 1:45 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Yeah, but with all the new financial regulations. Indonesian Chinese are not the hot commodity they were before. They also stopped the LPR scheme as well a few years back (around the time you first started Secondary, I'm guessing. And they quit offering PR application letters to Seniors in the Uni's as well around 4, maybe 5 years ago. We've also seen fair numbers who did not take up the offer when it was made in Uni and decided to apply a couple of years after work here and they were rejected. As the funds from Indonesia have dried up due to new banking regulations it's getting rough.
I've been here for so long already and I feel I meet a lot of the criteria when it comes to cultural integration (Ethnically Chinese) and educational attainment (Bachelor Degree from NTU) and I'm also still young, early to mid 20s :/ If not 6 months then when should I apply?
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: PR application questions and approval chances

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 2:24 am

I had a read of a number of PDF pages, and I find that you have mis-interpreted what you have read, and you can be forgiven for that as it is written very poorly. To wit:

Q32. You can also be self-employed and fulfill your bond. Self-employed people do not have EP's (Most of these people are PR who are under the same scheme.

Also under Q32. First Job point 2 Scanned work pass (if applicable) e.g., not a PR. Not an Employment Pass but work pass which could mean one of three different passes currently available.
Completion of 3-year Service Obligation
 Letter from company (same requirements as above), AND
Relevant work pass / NRIC
Sadly, they have also used the term Employment Pass indiscriminately but they can be forgiven as they are not the MOM but the School's FAQs.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 2:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I had a read of a number of PDF pages, and I find that you have mis-interpreted what you have read, and you can be forgiven for that as it is written very poorly. To wit:

Q32. You can also be self-employed and fulfill your bond. Self-employed people do not have EP's (Most of these people are PR who are under the same scheme.

Also under Q32. First Job point 2 Scanned work pass (if applicable) e.g., not a PR. Not an Employment Pass but work pass which could mean one of three different passes currently available.
Completion of 3-year Service Obligation
 Letter from company (same requirements as above), AND
Relevant work pass / NRIC
Sadly, they have also used the term Employment Pass indiscriminately but they can be forgiven as they are not the MOM but the School's FAQs.
Hmm what about Q27 though, your employer applying for you an Employment Pass? And if you go to the website to check if you're eligible for which work pass, they offer Employment Passes and not just S-Passes if you're on a 3 year bond even if your salary doesn't meet the EP requirement
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 2:54 am

See my last paragraph. That was what I was referring to. As I said, there is not an EP for a self-employed person. and they would have specifically said upon completion of the 3 year obligation an Employment Pass and not 'RELEVANT' WORK PASS. Q27 it the reason why I said it's poorly written. Prior to S passes there were on Work Permits and Employment Passes. The old P3 pass was later renamed the S pass but it is still generically an employment pass. And yes, the salary level of 3K would fall in the S pass range.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 4:14 am

WoShiDavid95, I would look at your Tuition Grant agreement for the absolute truth. If your agreement says you're promised an Employment Pass specifically, great. If it doesn't, then you aren't, and (for example, as SMS points out) an S Pass may be in your future.

Which is fine. Other than salary level (of course), there's no difference to you, the (future) employee, except that the law requires employers to provide S Pass holders with at least minimum medical insurance. You just work on finding the best employment opportunity for you, that's all. Compensation is one factor in determining "best," but it isn't the only factor.

Regarding your primary question, I have to assume that ICA asks for three Notices of Assessment for a reason and that, if you don't provide what ICA asks for, your chances for PR approval are lower.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 7:15 am

WoShiDavid95 wrote:](*,)
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can you give me a link? As this is the first time I've hear of this and I've been an HR Manager for 11 years and in HR for 21.
https://www.google.com.sg/search?safe=o ... K72-2ANjCw

Click the first PDF page, if you're bonded and a graduate of NUS/NTU/SMU they will award you an EP upon employment, even if your salary doesn't reach the required number... a question posted on NTU Confessions page on Facebook confirms that you will get an EP regardless of your salary
You mean here? https://tgonline.moe.gov.sg/tgis/files/TG-FAQ.pdf
I don't see anything what you claim in this document. Could you please quote the respective part?

Nb. if you search this forum you may found people with unpaid TGs asking what they had to do as MoM rejected their applications for work passes.

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 8:33 am

x9200 wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote:](*,)
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can you give me a link? As this is the first time I've hear of this and I've been an HR Manager for 11 years and in HR for 21.
https://www.google.com.sg/search?safe=o ... K72-2ANjCw

Click the first PDF page, if you're bonded and a graduate of NUS/NTU/SMU they will award you an EP upon employment, even if your salary doesn't reach the required number... a question posted on NTU Confessions page on Facebook confirms that you will get an EP regardless of your salary
You mean here? https://tgonline.moe.gov.sg/tgis/files/TG-FAQ.pdf
I don't see anything what you claim in this document. Could you please quote the respective part?

Nb. if you search this forum you may found people with unpaid TGs asking what they had to do as MoM rejected their applications for work passes.
Apologies, to clarify I mean they will be issued an EP should they be given a job offer by an employer who applies an EP for them... after all they are local university graduates who are bonded to the government, that is what I heard from international NTU students

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 8:44 am

David, this isn't in that document neither. As a chemical engineer you should have no problem securing a job and MoM will likely grant you a pass but it is not that TG provides any entitlement for the pass - not from our experience at least. It can still be refused. If you were educated in a domain where many locals compete for a job or had a bad luck choosing some shady employer, the application may be rejected.

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 9:00 am

8-)
x9200 wrote:David, this isn't in that document neither. As a chemical engineer you should have no problem securing a job and MoM will likely grant you a pass but it is not that TG provides any entitlement for the pass - not from our experience at least. It can still be refused. If you were educated in a domain where many locals compete for a job or had a bad luck choosing some shady employer, the application may be rejected.
Ah okay, thanks for the clarification. Anyway, may I ask how does one obtain his/her Notice of Assessment? Is it automatically given after 6 months of employment or what? I'll probably start work in August 2018 and if I wait 6 months, I'd apply on February 2019... will I have 2 NOAs for both 2018 and 2019? I need clarification for this.

Or do I just need to sign the last page of the PR application form (Appendix 1 (PR-PTS)) in lieu of this?

Also, is there any disadvantage of having your first PR application rejected should I apply after just 6 months, or do I have nothing to lose if my first time is rejected? As in, it's recommended I wait 2-3 years upon employment but if I can get it earlier with nothing to lose, I'd apply after 6 months of working, and if that's rejected in let's say 6 months, I can wait another year or two upon receiving the rejection letter before applying again as I'd have 2-3 years of employment by then.
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
this is especially true, start seeing some people moving back their assets out of Singapore.
plus ... as there are claims without basis from few high ranking individuals inside indonesian administration that Singapore is harboring untaxed monies serves nothing but to deteriorate the relations between two countries ... and whatever chances left for people seeking PR-ship here :???:

dynoto
Regular
Regular

Post by dynoto » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:23 am

WoShiDavid95 wrote: Also, is there any disadvantage of having your first PR application rejected should I apply after just 6 months, or do I have nothing to lose if my first time is rejected? As in, it's recommended I wait 2-3 years upon employment but if I can get it earlier with nothing to lose, I'd apply after 6 months of working, and if that's rejected in let's say 6 months, I can wait another year or two upon receiving the rejection letter before applying again as I'd have 2-3 years of employment by then.
you roll your dices, you get your chances. :-k

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:31 am

dynoto wrote:
WoShiDavid95 wrote: Also, is there any disadvantage of having your first PR application rejected should I apply after just 6 months, or do I have nothing to lose if my first time is rejected? As in, it's recommended I wait 2-3 years upon employment but if I can get it earlier with nothing to lose, I'd apply after 6 months of working, and if that's rejected in let's say 6 months, I can wait another year or two upon receiving the rejection letter before applying again as I'd have 2-3 years of employment by then.
you roll your dices, you get your chances. :-k
So do I have anything to lose or not... if not I'll apply after 6 months because I want the OR ASAP, otherwise I'll wait 2 years because if getting rejected before is a minus, I'd prefer not to take the chance
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 10:34 am

IRAS issues the Income Tax Notices of Assessment. They each follow roughly half a year after the previous taxable calendar year. So if you start work in August, 2018, then 2018 will almost certainly be your first taxable year, and your first Notice of Assessment would be generated sometime in mid 2019 (or perhaps early 2019). Thus the earliest your third Notice of Assessment will be available is sometime in early to mid 2021. A PR application lodged in early 2021 would likely fulfill the ICA's three Notices of Assessment "request."

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 11:45 am

BBCWatcher wrote:IRAS issues the Income Tax Notices of Assessment. They each follow roughly half a year after the previous taxable calendar year. So if you start work in August, 2018, then 2018 will almost certainly be your first taxable year, and your first Notice of Assessment would be generated sometime in mid 2019 (or perhaps early 2019). Thus the earliest your third Notice of Assessment will be available is sometime in early to mid 2021. A PR application lodged in early 2021 would likely fulfill the ICA's three Notices of Assessment "request."
Okay so my question is will I have anything to lose by applying early, other than lower chance of approval? Like will it affect my future applications for PR should my first be rejected? It's because I want to get my PR ASAP (6 months) after living here for so long, so if I have nothing to lose then I'll apply earlier with less than 3 NOAs.