Singapore Expats

PR application questions and approval chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
WoShiDavid95

PR application questions and approval chances

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:57 pm

Okay, I am 21 this year and I'm a 3rd year Indonesian-Chinese male student studying in NTU's Chemical Engineering. I've been studying in Singapore since 2008, which is from the start of Secondary 1, so I took both my O and A levels in Singapore and I will be completing my Bachelors' Degree here too and I also have a 3 year Tuition Grant bond which I have to serve upon graduation in 2018 by working in Singapore, but that is inconsequential as I wanted to work here anyway.

I intend to apply for PR 6 months after I start working, since one of the requirements is that we need 6 months of payslips. So the question is, I don't have to wait for 3 years of Income Tax Notice Assessments right when I start working here right?

What are my chances of approval then? Assuming I get a job with a starting pay of $3000/month which is the typical salary for an NTU graduate, and that I apply after 6 months. It would be less than the $3600/month required for an EP, but in my case I'd get an EP anyway because I am bonded to the government. I'm ethnically Chinese, I've been here since 2008 and I am conversant in Chinese (Took Chinese as a mother tongue in school) and Singlish as well as a result. I can easily pass as a Singaporean because of this since I also have an English first name, so I have pretty much integrated into Singaporean society. This is why I want to apply for PR, I've grown attached to the place and it feels more like home to me than Indonesia.

I would have preferred to become a PR far earlier, I wouldn't have minded serving NS but unfortunately the law doesn't allow it since my parents don't work here and can't apply PR for themselves and me. I'd like to ask if the ICA accepts cover letters along with the required documents? I intend to write a letter saying how much I love Singapore and how it feels more like home to me than Indonesia after living here for about a decade, and that I'll even volunteer part time in the SPF in the VSC section should my PR be approved since I never got the chance to serve NS like all my other male friends, and I feel left out as a result when they talk about it. I would still be in my mid-20s by then, so I'd still be in my physical prime.

So yeah. Long story short, should I apply 6 months after I start working here, assuming I get a salary of $3000/month under an EP with a 3 year bond? Or do I have to wait longer for the 3 years of Income Tax Notice Assessments? Will they read cover letters? And what are my chances of approval? I've lived here since 2008 and I've integrated really well into Singaporean society and I am also ethnically Chinese, so I want to get my PR ASAP.

Thank you if you've made it this far, and I'd love to hear your feedback.
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

Re: PR application questions

Post by dynamic.dante » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:07 pm

Hmm you didnt receive any letter invitation during your O A levels?
That's unusual.

Usually students will receive letter before uni, applied PR, do NS then go to uni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

Post by dynamic.dante » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:09 pm

That's what happened to my friend who did NS after his poly.

Anyway I'm indon too.

If you're looking to apply you can do it after the 6 months payslip.
Chances of approval, i don't know.
Probably the seniors of this forum could give a better insight

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:11 pm

dynamic.dante wrote:Hmm you didnt receive any letter invitation during your O A levels?
That's unusual.

Usually students will receive letter before uni, applied PR, do NS then go to uni

I believe that was long ago... it no longer applies when I came here, so I have to go the long way and apply after I graduate and start working. And besides I'm not on a scholarship so even back then I doubt I'd get an offer. The question is will it get approved quickly, considering all the factors I mentioned above? And will the ICA accept cover letters?
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

Post by dynamic.dante » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:15 pm

Nope.
I came 2009 doing poly.
My friend got it on 2009-2010.

So yeah, did you happen to move residence during your stay in here?

Also if you're now 21 it's really a ripe age to do NS

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:22 pm

dynamic.dante wrote:Nope.
I came 2009 doing poly.
My friend got it on 2009-2010.

So yeah, did you happen to move residence during your stay in here?

Also if you're now 21 it's really a ripe age to do NS

Hmm I was at some homestay in Lorong Chuan from 2009-2013, in 2008 I lived somewhere else with my mom but afterwards I was in Lorong Chuan all the way till 2013. Now I stay in Jurong West in a rented place.

And no, I never got any invitation whatsoever... the ICA website says that you have to work here first or let your parents apply for you?

I am aware I can no longer serve full-time NS because I'll be working then, which is why I intend to write a cover letter saying that I'll volunteer part time in the SPF... the question is whether or not they read cover letters, of course.
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

PR application questions

Post by dynamic.dante » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:27 pm

PTS is just one of the paths to PR.

dynamic.dante
Regular
Regular

Post by dynamic.dante » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:29 pm

Hmm the thing I'm not sure is that whether you can ask ICA whether they have send you a letter before.
I never tried either.

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:32 pm

dynamic.dante wrote:Hmm the thing I'm not sure is that whether you can ask ICA whether they have send you a letter before.
I never tried either.

If they did I would have already seen it in my mailbox by now... I guess I'll wait for advice from some senior members.
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR application questions

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:40 pm

WoShiDavid95 wrote:
dynamic.dante wrote:Hmm the thing I'm not sure is that whether you can ask ICA whether they have send you a letter before.
I never tried either.

If they did I would have already seen it in my mailbox by now... I guess I'll wait for advice from some senior members.
That invitation letter scheme has been curtailed, I won't be surprised if it's totally dropped now.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: PR application questions and approval chances

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:00 pm

WoShiDavid95 wrote: I would have preferred to become a PR far earlier, I wouldn't have minded serving NS but unfortunately the law doesn't allow it since my parents don't work here and can't apply PR for themselves and me. I'd like to ask if the ICA accepts cover letters along with the required documents? I intend to write a letter saying how much I love Singapore and how it feels more like home to me than Indonesia after living here for about a decade, and that I'll even volunteer part time in the SPF in the VSC section should my PR be approved since I never got the chance to serve NS like all my other male friends, and I feel left out as a result when they talk about it. I would still be in my mid-20s by then, so I'd still be in my physical prime..
I never seen promises being taken seriously by ICA.

Too bad, you missed NS.

Your Chinese ethnicity may work in your favour though, though depending on the wind direction, Indonesians are welcome and then not. There's a lot of love and hate there ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR application questions and approval chances

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 1:12 am

Gut feeling? You'll not get it with only 6 months of work. Yes, you might be a shoe in but at the moment all PR seem to be taking upwards of 18 to 24 months to be approved unless the person is a real winner and has something of value to give to Singapore. Are your a rocket scientist or a neuro surgeon? If not, I'll give you 50% odds of getting PR after you are employed here for two years. I can't explain it, but if you were not here on a scholarship and they let you do Uni. I doubt rather seriously you will get PR as they would have already taken into account when they let you stay for Uni how long it would take. Oh, you won't be getting an EP for 3K either (or should I say I have serious doubts as they cannot make you look like a white horse here. The fact that you are bonded means little to them. I've seen guys who couldn't get a related job after 3 years of trying so they just broke their bonds and when home. It isn't easy at the moment. Did you read today's Business Times?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 1:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Gut feeling? You'll not get it with only 6 months of work. Yes, you might be a shoe in but at the moment all PR seem to be taking upwards of 18 to 24 months to be approved unless the person is a real winner and has something of value to give to Singapore. Are your a rocket scientist or a neuro surgeon? If not, I'll give you 50% odds of getting PR after you are employed here for two years. I can't explain it, but if you were not here on a scholarship and they let you do Uni. I doubt rather seriously you will get PR as they would have already taken into account when they let you stay for Uni how long it would take. Oh, you won't be getting an EP for 3K either (or should I say I have serious doubts as they cannot make you look like a white horse here. The fact that you are bonded means little to them. I've seen guys who couldn't get a related job after 3 years of trying so they just broke their bonds and when home. It isn't easy at the moment. Did you read today's Business Times?
Yes, I entered uni here on merit as I did well enough for my A levels... the EP thing is basically for anyone who has graduated from NUS/NTU/SMU, employment shouldn't be that hard provided your grades aren't horrendous
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 1:31 am

Can you give me a link? As this is the first time I've hear of this and I've been an HR Manager for 11 years and in HR for 21.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

WoShiDavid95

Post by WoShiDavid95 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 1:36 am

](*,)
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can you give me a link? As this is the first time I've hear of this and I've been an HR Manager for 11 years and in HR for 21.
https://www.google.com.sg/search?safe=o ... K72-2ANjCw

Click the first PDF page, if you're bonded and a graduate of NUS/NTU/SMU they will award you an EP upon employment, even if your salary doesn't reach the required number... a question posted on NTU Confessions page on Facebook confirms that you will get an EP regardless of your salary
Last edited by WoShiDavid95 on Thu, 01 Apr 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.