Singapore Expats Forum

Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Kardin25
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby Kardin25 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 3:31 pm

Question: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal with MoM?

Background:

Age:23
Work Experience: 8 months in Tesco Stores Malaysia. (Supply Chain Analyst)
Education: Degree

First Job Summary:

Work Period: 1 Month
Work Visa: Employment Pass
Salary: $2,200
Position Held: Operation Assistant
Company Size: 51-200
Industry: Logistics
Reasons for Leaving: work for 12-15 hours a day, 1 hour lunch break, no OT Claims.

Note:
1. I know $2,200 shouldn't be getting an Employment Pass but don't ask me how but I actually had it, so just ignore it. I'm only stating it for the sake of comparisons between jobs.

Current Job Summary:

Work Period: Third Week
Work Visa: Work Permit (In Process)
Salary: $1,800
Position Holding: Procurement & Logistics Executive
Company Size: 12 People, Family Business
Reasons for Wanting to Leave: Below average pay, foreseen it's not challenging, accepted out of desperation

Note:
1. I know I shouldn't jump jobs but what if the offer is really really much better?
2. I did have my temporary work permit letter.

Potential Job Summary:

Work Visa: TBD
Salary: TBD
Position: TBD
Company Size: Well Known FMCG MNC
Reasons for Joining: Internal Connection

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Feed backs? Thanks!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 3:57 pm

Kardin25 wrote:Question: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal with MoM?

Background:

Age:23
Work Experience: 8 months in Tesco Stores Malaysia. (Supply Chain Analyst)
Education: Degree

First Job Summary:

Work Period: 1 Month
Work Visa: Employment Pass
Salary: $2,200
Position Held: Operation Assistant
Company Size: 51-200
Industry: Logistics
Reasons for Leaving: work for 12-15 hours a day, 1 hour lunch break, no OT Claims.

Note:
1. I know $2,200 shouldn't be getting an Employment Pass but don't ask me how but I actually had it, so just ignore it. I'm only stating it for the sake of comparisons between jobs.

Current Job Summary:

Work Period: Third Week
Work Visa: Work Permit (In Process)
Salary: $1,800
Position Holding: Procurement & Logistics Executive
Company Size: 12 People, Family Business
Reasons for Wanting to Leave: Below average pay, foreseen it's not challenging, accepted out of desperation

Note:
1. I know I shouldn't jump jobs but what if the offer is really really much better?
2. I did have my temporary work permit letter.

Potential Job Summary:

Work Visa: TBD
Salary: TBD
Position: TBD
Company Size: Well Known FMCG MNC
Reasons for Joining: Internal Connection

Thoughts? Opinions? Ideas? Feed backs? Thanks!

In the past, no

Now, yes.

But since you are Malaysian, you may escape ;)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby x9200 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 5:03 pm

So your 1st company likely declared higher salary to get you the pass and now you accepted a job paying ca 50% or less? Surely this must rise some eyebrows.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby BBCWatcher » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:20 pm

The previous discussion about the EP v. salary discrepancy is here.

OK, so here's the (likely) problem. The Ministry of Manpower apparently thinks/thought you were earning a fixed monthly salary of $3,300 or higher. You're now attempting to hop to a job offering barely half of your previously reported salary. As Mr. Spock used to say, "Curious."

Kardin25
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby Kardin25 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:25 pm

Can I actually check with MoM how much my past salary was reported to MoM?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby BBCWatcher » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:29 pm

Sure, you can contact the Ministry of Manpower and ask.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:29 pm

Kardin25 wrote:Can I actually check with MoM how much my past salary was reported to MoM?

Then be prepared to go to jail if there was discrepancy in your basic pay !

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby BBCWatcher » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:38 pm

ecureilx wrote:Then be prepared to go to jail if there was discrepancy in your basic pay !

No, it's not that simple. Let's be especially careful here.

The employer has a serious problem, financial at least, if there was an infringement and if the Ministry of Manpower becomes aware of the infringement -- that's pretty clear. The employee may or may not. It'll chiefly depend on whether the employee had a role in the infringement and, if no role, what the employee did (or didn't do) once he/she became aware of the infringement, if he/she became aware of the infringement. And if the employee does have a problem the penalty might be discretionary denial of all future pass/permit applications and renewals. It depends on the nature and severity of the problem as the MoM sees it.

Kardin25
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby Kardin25 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Kardin25 wrote:Can I actually check with MoM how much my past salary was reported to MoM?

Then be prepared to go to jail if there was discrepancy in your basic pay !


Bruh, you're exaggerating the whole situation.

1. I did Eligibility Test on MoM's site. The result recommended either S Pass or Employment Pass.

2. Even if that is an offense, it was not made by me. It was the company that made the offence, I sensed something is not in order, I seek clarifications.

3. I did showed them my employment pass in MoM itself and told them I am getting paid for far less than the minimum. If it was a serious offence like u exaggerated it, I won't be able to leave the building that day and sitting here typing.

Kardin25
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby Kardin25 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 8:42 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
ecureilx wrote:Then be prepared to go to jail if there was discrepancy in your basic pay !

No, it's not that simple. Let's be especially careful here.

The employer has a serious problem, financial at least, if there was an infringement and if the Ministry of Manpower becomes aware of the infringement -- that's pretty clear. The employee may or may not. It'll chiefly depend on whether the employee had a role in the infringement and, if no role, what the employee did (or didn't do) once he/she became aware of the infringement, if he/she became aware of the infringement. And if the employee does have a problem the penalty might be discretionary denial of all future pass/permit applications and renewals. It depends on the nature and severity of the problem as the MoM sees it.



Exactly

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:45 pm

....
Last edited by ecureilx on Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 9:50 pm

Kardin25 wrote:3. I did showed them my employment pass in MoM itself and told them I am getting paid for far less than the minimum. If it was a serious offence like u exaggerated it, I won't be able to leave the building that day and sitting here typing.


MOM investigators always have their plate full and it's not they will arrest you and lock you on the spot for your case.

Good luck.

Btw, did you see the IPA and make a copy ? And are you sure you were on EP, not S Pass or WP ?

Kardin25
Member
Member
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue, 01 Mar 2016

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby Kardin25 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:31 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Kardin25 wrote:3. I did showed them my employment pass in MoM itself and told them I am getting paid for far less than the minimum. If it was a serious offence like u exaggerated it, I won't be able to leave the building that day and sitting here typing.


MOM investigators always have their plate full and it's not they will arrest you and lock you on the spot for your case.

Good luck.

Btw, did you see the IPA and make a copy ? And are you sure you were on EP, not S Pass or WP ?


Im sure I know how to spell Employment Pass. Here,

E.M.P.L.O.Y.M.E.N.T P.A.S.S

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9508
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:47 pm

Kardin25 wrote:
Im sure I know how to spell Employment Pass. Here,

E.M.P.L.O.Y.M.E.N.T P.A.S.S


Thanks. I know my English is terrible.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: Does Job Hopping affect your Pass Renewal?

Postby BBCWatcher » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 9:39 am

I also don't understand how you can be working legally in Singapore at S$1800/month, as you mentioned, while your Work Permit is pending. Employment must strictly come after work permission, not ahead of it. (A fixed monthly salary of $1800 is below the minimum for a S Pass, for the record.)

It appears you have some problems (plural). I recommend getting those problems cleaned up. If you're working for shady, rule breaking employers then your experience (including salary experience) will reflect that. And if you have aspirations to stay in Singapore, this path isn't helpful. Just some friendly advice. I think you're getting ripped off if nothing else.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests