Singapore Expats

Insoles needed for Sport

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Nikki123

Insoles needed for Sport

Post by Nikki123 » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:36 am

Hi,
I've recently moved to Singapore from Northern Ireland and I've recently started up running again. After every run, I get pain around my ankle area but only on one foot. I think my trainers are either done or I may need insoles?Can anyone recommend an excellent Podiatrist? Preferably Private as I hear hospital clinics dont provide insoles unlike the NHS? :)
Thank you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Insoles needed for Sport

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 12:27 pm

It's been around 15 years ago, but I had insoles made for the alleviation of recurring shin spurs and assorted other foot problems. I just went to TTSH and they referred me to their podiatry centre (which used to be in one of the old ancillary building opposite the hospital proper on the other side of the road). They did the gait thingy and walking over the sand bed and then made up silicone inserts for my heels to correct the problem. Can't remember how much they cost but after all this time that would not be relevant anyway, but I'd be willing to be they'd be a damn sight cheaper than a private Podiatrist.

https://www.ttsh.com.sg/patient-guide/f ... px?clid=12
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Nikki123

Post by Nikki123 » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 10:52 am

Was there a consultation at TTSH and how much did the orthotics cost? My friend said polyclinics were nearly as expensive or even more so, she got charged for consultation running over the allocated time!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 12:18 pm

Nikki123 wrote:Was there a consultation at TTSH and how much did the orthotics cost? My friend said polyclinics were nearly as expensive or even more so, she got charged for consultation running over the allocated time!
sundaymorningstaple wrote: Can't remember how much they cost but after all this time that would not be relevant anyway, but I'd be willing to be they'd be a damn sight cheaper than a private Podiatrist.

https://www.ttsh.com.sg/patient-guide/f ... px?clid=12
I can't even remember if I had a referral letter from the Polyclinic. I went to TTSH and they sent me to the podiatrist clinic opposite. As I said that was 15 years ago and I only needed to use them for a while. Why not call them and ask them? :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jessie_t82

Post by jessie_t82 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 9:49 am

Hi Nikki,

May I ask if you've tried insoles before? Private tends to be a little pricey, I agree. No harm trying to get them done in public hospitals first (not sure how the system works in SG), if you're wary about cost. I do go private for myself and my kids though and I have no complaints. I'm quite happy with them.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 22 Aug 2016 9:31 pm

i suspect the podiatry department of hospitals may be much busier than the ones at polyclinics. if you can wait... go to your company's GP, ask for a referral letter to a polyclinic podiatrist.

i've been to the one at bukit batok polyclinic. call the polyclinic up directly (URL below) to make an appointment. be sure to let them know you have a referral letter. call around to find one that has the shortest wait before committing to an appointment.

as i wasn't in singapore, the soonest from the time i called until i saw the UK-trained expat podiatrist at the polyclinic was about 4 weeks. the orthotics took another 3 weeks or so (i can't remember) to build.

be sure to ask for a sweat proof cover/material for the top of your orthotics so they last longer. tell the podiatrist you have sweaty feet. bring along whatever shoes you want to wear them with as well - it's useful for him/her when making your prescription.

before this visit, i used to go to the foot clinic (used to be operated by TTSH but has since closed) and 2 private podiatrists... a polyclinic's cheaper than going private, and you get to keep the plaster cast of your feet for future use (some podiatrists in private practice keep the cast to ensure you go back to them).

if you're like me, you probably want to make a few pairs at a go... i can't remember the cost breakdown for the cast and each pair, so call and ask.

singhealth: Geylang & Tampines

nhg: Bukit Batok, Hougang, Jurong, Toa Payoh, Woodlands & Yishun

http://www.podiatry.org.sg/members/
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Hreckinl

Post by Hreckinl » Tue, 10 Oct 2017 5:33 am

From a painful leg that can't walk and with medication eaten also not getting any better. So I try orthotics and I found that Orthotics Lab Singapore offers professional expertise on the leg assessment. So after doing the insole, I mange to walk again with no pain. So maybe I think you can try the Orthotics Lab Singapore, the insoles there is really useful for me, hope this can help you. :-)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 28 Oct 2017 1:50 am

why does your orthotics website have a photo of ladies with stethoscopes around their necks?

the south asian lady has a made in china low budget version no doctor will willingly own.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam