Singapore Expats

EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 10:46 am

The LoC could cause a devaluation of the individuals worth when he's trying to find another/next position in Singapore because of that dreaded "last Salary" thing in another thread. Not trying to be a MCP here, but as the wife is currently the sponsor (or would be he gets the DP - which, by the way, I didn't say not to get) The OP doesn't want to really have a major shift to his last drawn as this, at least in this country, will take longer to overcome. As noted in the other thread, probably 80% of of the employers here will just toss CVs to the side if the requested "last drawn" or current salary isn't included in the initial application.

By all means, get the DP if possible. Just be careful IF you go for the LoC that the salary is something that will not disrupt your vertical ladder if possible.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 11:21 am

BBCWatcher wrote: (*) Sure, an EP would be "perfect," I agree. But the original poster was just rejected for an EP. Maybe an EP is not possible!.
In the midst of so many MAYBEs, why did MOM reject his EP ? Because????

I am with SMS, pushing for DP in this unstable market is not the most brilliant idea.

saiyan

Post by saiyan » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:23 pm

ecureilx wrote:
BBCWatcher wrote: (*) Sure, an EP would be "perfect," I agree. But the original poster was just rejected for an EP. Maybe an EP is not possible!.
In the midst of so many MAYBEs, why did MOM reject his EP ? Because????
I am with SMS, pushing for DP in this unstable market is not the most brilliant idea.
Yes I also have he same question which only Mom can answer. :???: :???:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: By all means, get the DP if possible. Just be careful IF you go for the LoC that the salary is something that will not disrupt your vertical ladder if possible.
This might give me some better options. Get a DP, which allows me not to relay on visit Pass and not to worry about duration for interviews etc.. but still I need to get an offer with suitable salary for EP and I need to push the employer that "I can start the job with LoC but at parallel I need my EP to be processed"

Is something like this possible?? say I start working with LoC and at parallel the employer can raise an EP for me. SO if the EP is pending for 2 months, I can work under LoC till it clears..

Pls correct me if I am wrong.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:I am with SMS, pushing for DP in this unstable market is not the most brilliant idea.
I'm not following this logic at all.

STVP-based job searches are perilous. They are time limited, and there is a much higher risk of being denied entry into Singapore. Moreover, stays are limited to 30 days (or less), and the original poster has a wife already in Singapore. Most spouses love (or at least like!) each other and want to be together. The original poster has already stated that he wants to support his wife's career aspirations in Singapore. For most couples, living apart doesn't do that, or at least it does not help the marriage.

If available, a DP would give the original poster the ability to live in Singapore. To work the original poster would then try to obtain an EP (per normal) or a Letter of Consent. BOTH are better options than the status quo (no job, no right to live in Singapore with his beloved spouse). Moreover, a DP does not require staying in Singapore all the time (or even very much of the time). In principle, a Singapore DP holder can work in, say, India and visit his wife in Singapore on vacations (as many as desired, as long as desired) -- and with no visa risk.

I really, really don't think this is complicated. If a DP is an option, why not grab it?

To Salyan's question, "Maybe." But BOTH the LoC and EP are better options than what you have now (no job), aren't they?

I really don't understand the objections. If you want to move to Singapore with your wife, then move to Singapore! A DP gets the job done and only expands the options available to you. Right now the only option you have is to be a tourist in Singapore, and even that isn't a given. A DP is an upgrade in every way, no matter what you end up doing with it (or not). So if it's available, grab it. Not complicated!

saiyan

Post by saiyan » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:38 pm

BBCWatcher wrote: Most spouses love (or at least like!) each other and want to be together.
:lol: :lol: =D> Sarcastic :P :lol: :lol:
I really, really don't think this is complicated. If a DP is an option, why not grab it?

To Salyan's question, "Maybe." But BOTH the LoC and EP are better options than what you have now (no job), aren't they?
Yes, that's exactly I told in my previous post.

I think the objections are not for DP but to settle in lower salary job with LoC, which will affect future EP chances.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:47 pm

saiyan wrote: I think the objections are not for DP but to settle in lower salary job with LoC, which will affect future EP chances.
As I said, along with the current spate of firings going on, if your wife is out, so will you be.

Now I don't get something.

Does your wife qualify for a DP in the first before beating around the bush?

4.5k is cutting is very close for DP ?

Edited, she needs to earn "minimum" 5k to apply DP.

So what are you on BBCW ?
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:49 pm

saiyan wrote:I think the objections are not for DP but to settle in lower salary job with LoC, which will affect future EP chances.
DP holders (as long as the DPs are valid) have all of the following options:

1. Visit Singapore as long as they want as often as they want;
2. Live in Singapore with their spouses, without working;
3. Work in Singapore with a Letter of Consent, subject to approval;
4. Work in Singapore with a EP or other permit/pass (in replacement of the DP), subject to approval.

STVP holders have these options:

1. Visit Singapore occasionally, for short durations, and with risk of entry denial as the number and/or length of stays grows;
2. Work in Singapore with a EP or other permit/pass (in replacement of the DP), subject to approval.

And that's it.

Now, you were just rejected for an EP. Maybe you will be again, even repeatedly. Maybe you'll get a job offer you like on a LoC. Or maybe not. Regardless, you have at least 4 options available after obtaining a DP. Sounds good to me!

As already mentioned upthread, at the very beginning, when I suggested getting a DP, there are two principle requirements:

(a) Your wife must have a fixed monthly salary of at least $5,000/month;
(b) Her employer must cooperate in your obtaining the DP. Without their agreement to lodge the application, it won't happen.

If both those hurdles are cleared, great. That makes a DP application possible. (Still may or may not be approved.) If either hurdle isn't cleared, then a DP won't be an option.
Last edited by BBCWatcher on Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:52 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
saiyan wrote:I think the objections are not for DP but to settle in lower salary job with LoC, which will affect future EP chances.
DP holders (as long as the DPs are valid) have all of the following options:

1. Visit Singapore as long as they want as often as they want;
2. Live in Singapore with their spouses, without working;
3. Work in Singapore with a Letter of Consent;
4. Work in Singapore with a EP (in replacement of the DP).

STVP holders have these options:

1. Visit Singapore occasionally, for short durations, and with risk of entry denial as the number and/or length of stays grows.

And that's it.

Now, you were just rejected for an EP. Maybe you will be again, even repeatedly. Maybe you'll get a job offer you like on a LoC. Or maybe not. Regardless, you have at least 4 options available after obtaining a DP. Sounds good to me!

As already mentioned upthread, at the very beginning, when I suggested getting a DP, there are two principle requirements:

(a) Your wife must have a fixed monthly salary of at least $5,000/month;
(b) Her employer must cooperate in your obtaining the DP. Without their agreement to lodge the application, it won't happen.

If both those hurdles are cleared, great. That makes a DP application possible. (Still may or may not be approved.) If either hurdle isn't cleared, then a DP won't be an option.
Enough. At 4.5k salary, His wife can't get him a DP.

saiyan

Post by saiyan » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
saiyan wrote: I think the objections are not for DP but to settle in lower salary job with LoC, which will affect future EP chances.
As I said, along with the current spate of firings going on, if your wife is out, so will you be.
Understood. That's why I told "I need to push the employer for giving me EP" and I have to accept the offers only if it provides EP, not completely relying on LoC.
Does your wife qualify for a DP in the first before beating around the bush?

4.5k is cutting is very close for DP ?
She is expecting a hike, its not immediate but at least in near future and she can talk with the HR about this now. Just a try 8-)

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 1:56 pm

ecureilx wrote:Enough. At 4.5k salary, His wife can't get him a DP.
We don't know that. Fixed monthly salary is different than basic monthly salary, and we don't know (a) whether that $4.5K/month figure is basic or fixed (or something else), or (b) whether that salary will be increased. [On edit: And now we do. It's (b).]

Let's try treating the original poster as the married adult he is, OK? The very first post where I raised the DP as a suggestion mentioned the minimum requirements. I just mentioned them again.

My goodness, if I didn't know any better people are trying to actively discourage the original poster from pursuing any/all available, legal options he may have to join his wife in Singapore. How about presenting those options and let him (and his wife) decide, OK? He came here to solve a problem, so let's offer suggestions that might help him accomplish his goals. That, too, is not complicated.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 2:00 pm

saiyan wrote: She is expecting a hike, its not immediate but at least in near future and she can talk with the HR about this now. Just a try 8-)
No. Don't bother. Seriously.

I checked and she needs to earn 5k and above.

If her boss raises it to say 5,200 tomorrow, based on experience, MOM will ask her to come back 6 months later with proof to confirm it wasn't a cash back scheme.

But do listen to BBCW, as always he is on to something.

PS, check your in box, I sent you a message
Last edited by ecureilx on Thu, 18 Aug 2016 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 2:01 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
Let's try treating the original poster as the married adult he is, OK? The very first post where I raised the DP as a suggestion mentioned the minimum requirements. I just mentioned them again.

My goodness, if I didn't know any better people are trying to actively discourage the original poster from pursuing any/all available, legal options he may have to join his wife in Singapore. How about presenting those options and let him (and his wife) decide, OK? He came here to solve a problem, so let's offer suggestions that might help him accomplish his goals. That, too, is not complicated.

Whatever!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 2:05 pm

BBCWatcher wrote: We don't know that. Fixed monthly salary is different than basic monthly salary, and we don't know (a) whether that $4.5K/month figure is basic or fixed (or something else), or (b) whether that salary will be increased. [On edit: And now we do. It's (b).]
Giving needless suggestions which won't work is your speciality ! Let me leave it there.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 2:12 pm

Ecureilx, you're being ridiculous. It would be surprising if there weren't periodic salary increases.

Saiyan, please do keep us posted, notwithstanding the pessimism and hostility in this forum. :(

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 2:17 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:Ecureilx, you're being ridiculous. It would be surprising if there weren't periodic salary increases.

Saiyan, please do keep us posted, notwithstanding the pessimism and hostility in this forum. :(
Nobody is being hostile to OP, if you think stating the obvious (and disputing you is hostile... ) though I will let it pass.

I posted what I know based on experience and dealing with MOM. Did you even read what I wrote about how MOM sees sudden pay rises, especially (no offence) when it comes to sub cons.

You past of possibilities and hypothesis and what nots..

Good for you, and for the record I am not trying to steal credit from you.