Singapore Expats

EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
saiyan

EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by saiyan » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 6:29 pm

Hi,

I am from India, came to SG on may (visit visa) to find a job in Data Analytics and Business intelligence fields. I was selected in a bank under an agency payroll with offer of 5k SGD per month. My EP was applied by the agency on June 20.

My EP application was in reject status on Aug 15th. I contacted the agency and at first they told they don't know the reason and when I insisted more they told the reason for rejection was “ Candidate not eligible for EP”

I am little confused on this reason, below is my details,
4 Year B.Tech Degree from a reputed Engineering College.
5+ Years Experience in a Top IT MNC company.
Offered Salary in SG 5,000 SGD per Month
My Wife work in SG under EP, her Sal 4.5k SGD per month.

The reason I am surprised is that my college classmate - same degree, same company worked with me for 5 years - his profile is almost same is now in Singapore under EP and mine got rejected saying not eligible. One difference is that he is on same company onsite and I was to direct SG comany.

Few questions
Is the reason has to do something with my profile? - I doubt because my classmate/colleague got EP.
or is may be because of my agency profile?
or is it a uncertain decision by MoM that we can't question?
Will it affect any of my future visit visa or EP?

Please help/advice on this guys....

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 7:14 pm

saiyan wrote:Hi,

I am from India, came to SG on may (visit visa) to find a job in Data Analytics and Business intelligence fields. I was selected in a bank under an agency payroll with offer of 5k SGD per month. My EP was applied by the agency on June 20.

My EP application was in reject status on Aug 15th. I contacted the agency and at first they told they don't know the reason and when I insisted more they told the reason for rejection was “ Candidate not eligible for EP”

The reason I am surprised is that my college classmate - same degree, same company worked with me for 5 years - his profile is almost same is now in Singapore under EP and mine got rejected saying not eligible. One difference is that he is on same company onsite and I was to direct SG comany.

Few questions
Is the reason has to do something with my profile? - I doubt because my classmate/colleague got EP.

Welcome to Singapore.

No, you can't know exactly why it was rejected other than what the agency saw.

And, you should be getting 6 to 6.5 or more, for that job description unless you can't prove your experience or pass related experience as true.

Or try a different employer.

saiyan

Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by saiyan » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 7:36 pm

Thanks for the reply ecureilx.

My experience is real and I don't have any issues in proving it, because i worked for a top MNC.

I agree this salary is low, I came to know that from my other friends as well. May be instead of direct hire I got through via an agency so I missed a good negotiation with them. I will correct this in future.

I doubt that the salary may be a reason for EP rejection and the agency is not letting me know :-k they are not willing to appeal.

Also can you explain what u meant "Or try a different employer" - You telling me to leave this offer and try for other jobs or to ask any other agency to apply for the same bank offer ?

Thanks.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 7:57 pm

saiyan wrote: I doubt that the salary may be a reason for EP rejection and the agency is not letting me know :-k they are not willing to appeal.
No my friend, as of now Salary is a big reason for rejections. No two words about it.
Also can you explain what u meant "Or try a different employer" - You telling me to leave this offer and try for other jobs or to ask any other agency to apply for the same bank offer ?

Thanks.
Maybe your agency is one of those being monitored for sourcing, in this case, only Indians?

Look for another employer or agency with a better pay.

saiyan

Re: RE: Re: EP Rejected - Need help on few questions

Post by saiyan » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 8:25 pm

No my friend, as of now Salary is a big reason for rejections. No two words about it
Noted!!
Maybe your agency is one of those being monitored for sourcing, in this case, only Indians?

Look for another employer or agency with a better pay
Got it!! I will do the same. From your answer I assume I won't have any issues with my future Visa because of this EP Rejection. 8-)

I knew its tough time in SG to look for jobs, but my wife like the country and her job very much and want to spend few years in SG. I don't to be separated also don't want to spoil her career dream, so I need to try even thought its tough O:)

I will come to SG and start my job search again, may be by next week. Wish me Luck :D :)

Thanks

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 8:33 pm

saiyan wrote:Hi,

Few questions

Since April 2016, everything has changed. If your friend joined the company before April, then his case was evaluated under different circumstances. Since April, MoM is heavily cracking down on companies that have high number of EP holders on their payroll compared to locals. Even renewals are under scrutiny. It doesnt matter whether they bring you onsite from India or whether they recruit your here. What matters is number of EP holders vs number of locals on that company payroll.

So, your best bet is if you get a permanent job directly with a bank, your EP should be a breeze. Since banks have non IT staff that are mostly locals, mainly in front office, operations etc. So although IT is usually filled with Indians, the non IT brings the average of EP holders v/s locals down.Through an IT body shopper like TCS, it will be dicey. I see big problems for the business model of companies like TCS. A good idea will be for them to acquire a local company in Singapore, which has lots of locals in it and bring them under TCS umbrella. Indian companies need to become more innovative. They have the cash, they are behemoths. So they can do it if they want.

Good luck!

saiyan

Post by saiyan » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 9:20 pm

Wd40 wrote: Since April 2016, everything has changed. If your friend joined the company before April, then his case was evaluated under different circumstances.
Yes, he joined last year itself.
Wd40 wrote:Since April, MoM is heavily cracking down on companies that have high number of EP holders on their payroll compared to locals. Even renewals are under scrutiny.
Agreed. I noted the issues after may '16 in conversations of many posts in our forum.
Wd40 wrote:So, your best bet is if you get a permanent job directly with a bank, your EP should be a breeze. Since banks have non IT staff that are mostly locals, mainly in front office, operations etc. So although IT is usually filled with Indians, the non IT brings the average of EP holders v/s locals down.
Valid point and I will concentrate on this as much as possible. Thanks.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 9:35 pm

Note that if your wife's fixed monthly salary increases to at least $5,000/month, and if her employer is cooperative, her employer can sponsor you (her spouse) for a Dependant's Pass. As a DP holder you can stay in Singapore, and you can work if your employer obtains a Letter of Consent (or Employment Pass).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 9:50 pm

As there is absolutely no benefit in working on an LoC (letter of consent) if your salary is in EP range. You would be better placed to keep trying to find a company where you will be successful in getting an EP. In fact, getting hired on an LoC usually results in lower salary AND if you spouse loses her job, you lose your job as well as the LoC is tied to her EP. Not good. Having your own EP prevents total disaster as one will still have a job. Don't go that route if you can possibly help it.
saiyan wrote:
No my friend, as of now Salary is a big reason for rejections. No two words about it
Noted!!

Got it!! I will do the same. From your answer I assume I won't have any issues with my future Visa because of this EP Rejection. 8-)
That is not what ecureilx is saying. He's just saying you will probably stand a better chance, but again, you may still be rejected for a reason unknown. Or you may be just stalled by MOM like so may since April.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

saiyan

Post by saiyan » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:07 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:Note that if your wife's fixed monthly salary increases to at least $5,000/month.....
Yes I knew about DP and LOC, Thanks for the reply. :)
Last edited by saiyan on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

saiyan

Post by saiyan » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:As there is absolutely no benefit in working on an LoC (letter of consent) if your salary is in EP range. You would be better placed to keep trying to find a company where you will be successful in getting an EP. In fact, getting hired on an LoC usually results in lower salary AND if you spouse loses her job, you lose your job as well as the LoC is tied to her EP. Not good. Having your own EP prevents total disaster as one will still have a job. Don't go that route if you can possibly help it.
Correct, the salary will be low when in LoC. Having 5+ years exp in Analytics and BI, I dont want to rush and settle with something not worth and certain. I like to take my time and find a permanent solution, rather than sticking into LoC and worrying about my wife's EP. She will help me with the finance and the only issue will be the visit visa duration, I have 30 days only per visit. My try of extension got rejected previous time without a reason.
saiyan wrote:
Noted!!
That is not what ecureilx is saying. He's just saying you will probably stand a better chance, but again, you may still be rejected for a reason unknown. Or you may be just stalled by MOM like so may since April.
Ok, my future applications will have its own plus minus.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:30 pm

Saiyan, don't push the visit pass too much. You might get blacklisted forever from entering Singapore if you abuse it. Do it the correct way, ask your wife's company to sponsor DP for you. You can keep entering and exiting Singapore as you like on a DP no issues. Employers too will take you more seriously if you have a long term pass already here than a visit pass

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

saiyan

Post by saiyan » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 10:35 pm

Wd40 wrote:Saiyan, don't push the visit pass too much. You might get blacklisted forever from entering Singapore if you abuse it. Do it the correct way, ask your wife's company to sponsor DP for you. You can keep entering and exiting Singapore as you like on a DP no issues. Employers too will take you more seriously if you have a long term pass already here than a visit pass

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
Oh.. I am not aware of such effect on Visit visa. Thanks for the warning message. I will keep it in mind.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 6:43 am

saiyan wrote:Thanks for the reply ecureilx.

My experience is real and I don't have any issues in proving it, because i worked for a top MNC.

I agree this salary is low, I came to know that from my other friends as well. May be instead of direct hire I got through via an agency so I missed a good negotiation with them. I will correct this in future.

I doubt that the salary may be a reason for EP rejection and the agency is not letting me know :-k they are not willing to appeal.

Thanks.
The gov tries to cut down on cheap labor. They know what should be an appropriate salary for your education and experience. If for the given salary it is not possible (within some standard scheme) to find a local guy, only then you will get the EP. If a company says, you are better than the locals for a specific position and that's why they want you to be hired, then they should also offer you a better salary. As simple as that.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 9:09 am

Thank you, Wd40! The whole reason I mentioned the DP is that it positions the other spouse for either the LoC or EP options (as mentioned).(*) It puts you in a position to search for a job in Singapore, on the ground, as long as you want, without STVP short stay risks, as you note. (Well, as long as the EP holder has a valid EP, and as long as the couple is married.) Not to mention the ability to stay with your beloved spouse! If a DP is an option, I recommend taking it.

(*) Sure, an EP would be "perfect," I agree. But the original poster was just rejected for an EP. Maybe an EP is not possible! Maybe he would prefer a job and a LoC (and being with his spouse) to not being in Singapore with his spouse. That seems like a reasonable plan, doesn't it? If "perfect" is unobtainable, "better" is still better.