Singapore Expats

Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
stephanielau1992

Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by stephanielau1992 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 3:17 pm

1. Whether a bank has to show the official document to customer if the bank wants to close or freeze a customer's savings bank account?

2. On the premise of no official written documents from police or relevant law enforcement departments, whether a bank has the right to close a customer's bank account?

3. Do the police have the right to ask me to return money back to an unknown person without any court order or official document?

okonu
Regular
Regular

Re: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by okonu » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 3:58 pm

1 & 3 no idea

2. Of course they have the right, they are private companies, and can choose not to do business with you

stephanielau1992

Post by stephanielau1992 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 4:05 pm

okonu wrote:1 & 3 no idea

2. Of course they have the right, they are private companies, and can choose not to do business with you

Thanks for your reply :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 4:31 pm

stephanielau1992 wrote:1. Whether a bank has to show the official document to customer if the bank wants to close or freeze a customer's savings bank account?

2. On the premise of no official written documents from police or relevant law enforcement departments, whether a bank has the right to close a customer's bank account?

3. Do the police have the right to ask me to return money back to an unknown person without any court order or official document?
1, no documents needed. They can freeze first and then let you run around. Banks follow MAS and Court instructions.

3, wait. What's that? Ill gotten money ?

stephanielau1992

Re: RE: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by stephanielau1992 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 5:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:
stephanielau1992 wrote:1. Whether a bank has to show the official document to customer if the bank wants to close or freeze a customer's savings bank account?

1, no documents needed. They can freeze first and then let you run around. Banks follow MAS and Court instructions.

3, wait. What's that? Ill gotten money ?

I am in a bit trouble now. I feel that I was set up by someone behind, and I don't know how to do.

The Situation:
1. Some unknown person deposited $20k++ into my OCBC bank account without my permission
2. Some unknown person accused me kidnapping her son
3. Police made investigation against me for 10 months
4. Proven that I am the victim and innocent to the case
5. During the 10 months, OCBC bank closed and frozen my bank account
6. My shop closed due to short of money and I was very stressful during the 10 months
7. Now the bank informed me to take out all money and closing my bank account soon
8. The police asked me to send back the unknown source money to the unknown person without showing me any court legal documents.

I feel that the police should show me the court order to return the money, because I totally don't know the person who sent money to my bank account. The police cannot just ask me return back the money to an unknown person.Because there is no proof that the money belongs to the unknown person, even though the person has the receipt, but he may be the accomplice in the criminal case.
I really don't know what to do, and I lose so much money during the investigation period, nobody can help me to get back.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 5:31 pm

stephanielau1992 wrote: I am in a bit trouble now. I feel that I was set up by someone behind, and I don't know how to do.

The Situation:
1. Some unknown person deposited $20k++ into my OCBC bank account without my permission
6. My shop closed due to short of money and I was very stressful during the 10 months
7. Now the bank informed me to take out all money and closing my bank account soon
8. The police asked me to send back the unknown source money to the unknown person without showing me any court legal documents.

I feel that the police should show me the court order to return the money, because I totally don't know the person who sent money to my bank account. The police cannot just ask me return back the money to an unknown person.Because there is no proof that the money belongs to the unknown person, even though the person has the receipt, but he may be the accomplice in the criminal case.
I really don't know what to do, and I lose so much money during the investigation period, nobody can help me to get back.
What did you do with the 20k ?

Did you engage a lawyer ?

stephanielau1992

Re: RE: Re: RE: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by stephanielau1992 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 5:36 pm

ecureilx wrote:
stephanielau1992 wrote: I am in a bit trouble now. I feel that I was set up by someone behind, and I don't know how to do.

The Situation:

What did you do with the 20k ?

Did you engage a lawyer ?
Actually, I just hope the police to find out the real criminal behind, the money can be returned to the real victim. if the money belongs to the criminal, the money should be confiscated by police, but the criminal must get punished.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 5:39 pm

stephanielau1992 wrote: Actually, I just hope the police to find out the real criminal behind, the money can be returned to the real victim. if the money belongs to the criminal, the money should be confiscated by police, but the criminal must get punished.
So you are trying to fix the problem of the police ?

So what did you do with the $ ?

Did you get a lawyer?

PS. In hind sight there is some law says you must immediately report any suspicious transactions in your account or you can be considered to be part of the crime - good luck getting out of this mess.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 5:56 pm

You should follow the directions of the police in this case or risk being charged with holding stolen property. If in doubt engage a solicitor.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

stephanielau1992

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by stephanielau1992 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 5:59 pm

ecureilx wrote:
stephanielau1992 wrote: Actually, I just hope the police to find out the real criminal behind, the money can be returned to the real victim. if the money belongs to the criminal, the money should be confiscated by police, but the criminal must get punished.
So you are trying to fix the problem of the police ?

So what did you do with the $ ?

Did you get a lawyer?

PS. In hind sight there is some law says you must immediately report any suspicious transactions in your account or you can be considered to be part of the crime - good luck getting out of this mess.
I hope I can take my personal money, and the unknown source money continues to hold in the bank waiting for police to find out the truth behind.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 6:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:You should follow the directions of the police in this case or risk being charged with holding stolen property. If in doubt engage a solicitor.
+1

Add hindering an active investigation !

Stephanie, seems like you didn't report the suspicions 20k immediately.

No, once cops ask to freeze the account, it's all frozen, not part of it. You may get your money in 2 years time.

So, my last 2 cents, Pray Hard.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 6:13 pm

OP could technically insist on a court order before returning the money but this risks putting the cops offside and I would avoid that.

stephanielau1992

Re: RE: Re: Please help to answer some legal questions, Thanks in advance

Post by stephanielau1992 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 6:15 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:You should follow the directions of the police in this case or risk being charged with holding stolen property. If in doubt engage a solicitor.
+1

Add hindering an active investigation !

Stephanie, seems like you didn't report the suspicions 20k immediately.

No, once cops ask to freeze the account, it's all frozen, not part of it. You may get your money in 2 years time.

So, my last 2 cents, Pray Hard.
because the scammer sent the money to my account without my permission, and I reported the unknown source money the second day

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 6:19 pm

There is no free lunch in this. What if the initial source of money, who is no doubt a hardened criminal, decides engage in physical violence with you?

stephanielau1992

Post by stephanielau1992 » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 6:24 pm

PNGMK wrote:There is no free lunch in this. What if the initial source of money, who is no doubt a hardened criminal, decides engage in physical violence with you?
Yes, this is what I also scare, and I hope the police can catch him, and put the criminal into jail.