Singapore Expats

Spouse sponsored PR - Male

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Spouse sponsored PR - Male

Post by NZinSG » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 2:59 pm

I've been reading this forum on an off for a while now, and I've gleaned info which I just need clarification on:

My wife is SPR
Son just born, we applied SPR and it is still pending
Me:
Education: Computer Science Degree
Nationality: New Zealand
Married: 1 year 8 months
Employment: Unemployed

As my job search is not netting any results (as of yet), we figured it would be easier to get a position if I was PR, namely because people who I've spoken to, both recruiters and Health Insurance agents, don't understand the changes made to LTVP and LOC. As I'm not even being contacted back on my applications I can't educate them and say I'm not tied to her EP etc, I don't incur any application fees for LOC, no quota etc.

Now the questions I need clarification on:
NS - anecdotal given by several of the forum regulars state that I would be given a waiver, this isn't guaranteed, but it appears likely given my age (29). As I'm unemployed currently, would this play into NS requirements and would it make me more likely to not be given a waiver?

Employment - Is becoming a PR going to give a noticeable improvement to my chances at securing a job in Singapore?

The alternative is to simply push ahead with applying for positions and hope I get one via LOC, remain an LTVP, and become PR on my own merits, or via the family scheme in several years time.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Spouse sponsored PR - Male

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 3:48 pm

NZinSG wrote:I've been reading this forum on an off for a while now, and I've gleaned info which I just need clarification on:

My wife is SPR
Son just born, we applied SPR and it is still pending
Me:
Education: Computer Science Degree
Nationality: New Zealand
Married: 1 year 8 months
Employment: Unemployed

As my job search is not netting any results (as of yet), we figured it would be easier to get a position if I was PR, namely because people who I've spoken to, both recruiters and Health Insurance agents, don't understand the changes made to LTVP and LOC. As I'm not even being contacted back on my applications I can't educate them and say I'm not tied to her EP etc, I don't incur any application fees for LOC, no quota etc.

Now the questions I need clarification on:
NS - anecdotal given by several of the forum regulars state that I would be given a waiver, this isn't guaranteed, but it appears likely given my age (29). As I'm unemployed currently, would this play into NS requirements and would it make me more likely to not be given a waiver?
unemployment will not be related to the waiver.

Employment - Is becoming a PR going to give a noticeable improvement to my chances at securing a job in Singapore?
Generally yes, but cant comment on that as you have not said much about your work experience and what industry are you trying to get a job.

The alternative is to simply push ahead with applying for positions and hope I get one via LOC, remain an LTVP, and become PR on my own merits, or via the family scheme in several years time.
The best way would be to be to try the LOC route, as PR processing may take time and the result is not guaranteed to be in your favor.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Spouse sponsored PR - Male

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 3:56 pm

NZinSG wrote: NS - anecdotal given by several of the forum regulars state that I would be given a waiver, this isn't guaranteed, but it appears likely given my age (29). As I'm unemployed currently, would this play into NS requirements and would it make me more likely to not be given a waiver?
Take it from me, though some guys may say other wise - you won't get called for NS.
NZinSG wrote: Employment - Is becoming a PR going to give a noticeable improvement to my chances at securing a job in Singapore?
Yes. But how soon ? Or how far ? And what's the guarantee SG likes you to be PR ?
NZinSG wrote: The alternative is to simply push ahead with applying for positions and hope I get one via LOC, remain an LTVP, and become PR on my own merits, or via the family scheme in several years time.
Look for agents who are more knowledgeable while on LTVP.

If you are on LTVP, and employed, you will still be under family scheme, I think.

What's your domain ?

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 4:48 pm

Apologies, I left my career experience out as this isn't the career's section.

I have 4 years experience in Application/Software Support - I was a Technical Support Manager for a software company in Australia before moving here.

Yup, I understand I'm not guaranteed PR, but the concerns were around NS and whether we apply for PR with that risk hanging over our heads - not that I'm too opposed to the idea of it, more that it doesn't fit my lifestyle with a wife and newborn son.

I would still be applying for positions and hope to be granted one under LOC while the PR was processing/being approved.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 5:29 pm

It took me three years to get PR using Family Ties. But that was a quarter of a century ago......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 5:38 pm

Yeah - it's not an ideal situation - wife strong armed me into moving to Singapore from Australia. I was aware it would be a struggle for me to get a position, not lke I'm looking for expat wages or lifestyle either. :\

My wife is PRC, she thinks it will be like her and her friends (PRCs) who got their own PR, then spouse PR fairly easily.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 5:42 pm

NZinSG wrote: I have 4 years experience in Application/Software Support - I was a Technical Support Manager for a software company in Australia before moving here.
You should be able to get a job based on what you have said above, even to work on LOC is what I feel. Not sure if you have posted your resumes in the job portals and if you are contacting the right consultants.

NZinSG
Regular
Regular

Post by NZinSG » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 5:46 pm

I'd welcome any suggestions for job portals or consultants to contact.

I've been applying via Jobstreet and Linkdin thus far. The consultants I did contact were referrals from a friend (who was in sales), and couldn't assist or find suitable positions. Though this was back in April/May which I understand to be a busy period.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 13 Aug 2016 6:05 pm

This will be tough.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!