Singapore Expats

Pokemon GO

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Pokemon GO

Post by menudown » Mon, 08 Aug 2016 5:00 pm

Its actually quite a bad game. But I guess the thrill is just about collecting, the whole point of this game is to collect :?

http://gamerant.com/pokemon-go-bad-game/

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Re: RE: Whats so good about Pokemon GO

Post by Sporkin » Mon, 08 Aug 2016 7:11 pm

menudown wrote:Its actually quite a bad game. But I guess the thrill is just about collecting, the whole point of this game is to collect :?

http://gamerant.com/pokemon-go-bad-game/
Feels more like a location based service to me, with graphics composition passed off as augmented reality. And from a technical point of view nothing revolutionary. But then popular things seldom are revolutionary.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Whats so good about Pokemon GO

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Aug 2016 9:50 pm

menudown, what's the matter? Your battery keeps running out of juice? ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 08 Aug 2016 10:22 pm

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Wed, 10 Aug 2016 5:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:menudown, what's the matter? Your battery keeps running out of juice? ;-)
nope..I just caught a few and haven't got much time to play. anyway I cant run the AR mode on my phone..i read somewhere playing with AR mode drains the battery

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Aug 2016 5:42 pm

From what I gather from having three 20 somethings living under my roof (and an 8 year old) The AR feature is a real hog and most of the blogs/sites with tips, etc. say the play is much better using the graphics only.

I decided to see what it was about and let my son install it on my Samsung Note 4 on Sunday morning and then went to the hardware store at NEX to get some wood putty, stain, varnish & good brush. After having to dodge zombie like hoards of people with their noses buried in their phones, I sat down on the step outside of NEX and fired it up. The biggest thing I noticed is that it locks up with great regularity, e.g., if you have another app open and you try to switch back and forth it will lock up and you have to minimize it and close it from the minimized cascaded screen and restart the app. I walked home from NEX and then took the bus all the way to work this morning (Serangoon North to Clement). Picked up something like 15 new critters enroute sitting on my butt in the bus. Plus reloading Pokeballs as well from the pokestops). But it's a bit of a bore after an hour. Only a little bit better than watching paint dry. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 10:25 am

Actually, my results are different.
I am separated from my kids and I went to lunch with them yesterday while they, and everyone else, was Pokemon hunting all around me. Anyway, I installed it and then spent a couple of hours actively engaged with my kids as I did something they liked, with them helping me along the way.
So while it looks like a socially inept game, my son was running around with his friends before, then walking around with me - all while moving around the outdoors together.
The revolutionary part is not the game, it is the popularity of a location based fun service that gets people out of their house and moving.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Pokemon GO

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 3:14 pm

Re: your last paragraph. That part I can agree with! If you keep an eye on them so they don't walk out in traffic like you see on the U-tube clips. Getting the pasty-faced PC geeks out into the sunshine is probably a good thing. It might even get them a social life (if they somehow manage to bump into someone they know from an online game). And if I had 'tweens still it might be a way for the family to get together, at least for a while anyway, until the gloss wears off. But, as a game, I still see it as about as exciting as watching my clear varnish dry. Maybe if I stuck in it long enough to get into the battle gyms it might brighten up a bit. I tried it again this morning on the way to work so now have 40+ critters, eggs hatching and evolving and am up to level 10 by sitting on my butt on the steps at NEX or on my butt on the 165 bus. ;-)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 3:29 pm

I observed the crowd last weekend in Bukit Batok Park, so highly attractive and recreational area, and they all behaved like lunatics in the formal and informal meaning of this word. All with their faces glued to the screens and processing the surrounding through the screens only. Seems similar outdoor and family qualities as if they opened the windows and play together on a playstation. It would be much safer this way.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 3:59 pm

My thoughts exactly, except they wouldn't be getting any natural Vit D but then again, the zombie players out in the parks at 3 am aren't getting any either.

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 11 Aug 2016 4:26 pm

covesg

Post by covesg » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 5:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My thoughts exactly, except they wouldn't be getting any natural Vit D but then again, the zombie players out in the parks at 3 am aren't getting any either.
well, at least they are moving around and not lying down on sofa and playing video games stationary.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 5:19 pm

Take a look at the Pokey hotspots. They are all sitting around on the curbs. even worse. Can get hemorrhoids sitting on concrete for hours on end because they threw a bunch of lures. Like the Bunch at Hougang. Same thing if you go to Plaza Singapura, all sitting in clusters under the trees and throwing lures.

covesg

Post by covesg » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 1:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Take a look at the Pokey hotspots. They are all sitting around on the curbs. even worse. Can get hemorrhoids sitting on concrete for hours on end because they threw a bunch of lures. Like the Bunch at Hougang. Same thing if you go to Plaza Singapura, all sitting in clusters under the trees and throwing lures.
haha i know what u mean. most of the time they need a rest.
i played it once... when the pokemons, the rare one, appears, the players will all start moving towards it... not that bad.

pokemon game also not stupid, the algorithm inside is that pokemons have a much higher rate of appearing if the player is moving instead of stationary...

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 19 Aug 2016 1:49 pm

There's a pokestop in front of a Buddhist temple in front of my condo - the first few days no drama.... last night though while on my run at 930pm I had to weave and thread my way through (no joke) 10 people standing staring at their phones on the sidewalk in front of the temple - this is a quiet street that is normally 100% deserted when I ran. I don't mind - just find it humorous and I wonder when the temple monks will start bitching....
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”