Singapore Expats Forum

airplane seating etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby x9200 » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 10:58 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
x9200 wrote:What's wrong in shaming an AH? People may have different reasons but I guess nobody suggested to shame an old handicapped lady.


people seem to think the way to "shame someone publicly" is to take their picture and upload it somewhere..lost in the midst of trillions of other shamed pics, where shamed person isn't going to see it, the shamer thinks he's scored a point, in the end nobody gives a fish tit.

Frankly, I am not that sure. At least there is a pretty broad audience and some members of it may get the message. If what you "reported" is really unsocial you will also get pretty overwhelming support.
Now compare this to the situation when you confront such AH and pretty sure all your fellow passengers will prefer to stay out of the situation, because as we all know it is just convenient to be that way. You may end up with something opposite you intended to achieve.

I am not saying you should not react, unfortunately I do it all the time (remember, I ride a motorbike in Singapore, plenty of AHs every single day) and I don't post anything on-line, but for the sake of argument, I think posting it to STOMP could be actually more effective.

BTW and @SE post, I drink as much so I don't need to leave my place if I happen to occupy a middle or window seat.

the.pr.holder
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2016

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby the.pr.holder » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:02 am

x9200 wrote:The OP is angry with the girl for the way the girl acted, where I think majority including myself would consider her behaviour impolite but misses the fact, that it has nothing to do with getting up from the seat to help someone to pass through.


yes, correct. this behavior is too much. I'm glad that the majority still think that this behavior is impolite. most passengers that I encounter would just walk through the other passengers, unless of course they're tall, which is quite often. and again, I'm angry because it just doesnt make sense to give special treatment because of gender.
a girl carrying a lot of stuff, so if you're a guy, you should help her. I agree with this, but not because the one carrying tons of stuff is a girl, but because humans help each other. if I see a guy, even younger than me carrying a lot of stuff, I'll still offer my help. or perhaps I'll hold the door for him.
in this case, she could just walk through the passengers without any issues, and yet, she decided to "invoke" gender-based royal treatment when most people dont. and she does that to guys old enough to be her dad. that's just not right. asians always respect their elders. even when the guys were not that old, I still think that's not right. I've never even dreamed about telling young guys to get up for me, even when I can invoke age-based (not gender-based) privilege, well, unless of course he has a "long upper thigh", then no choice, you have to get up, sorry.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:04 am

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
x9200 wrote:What's wrong in shaming an AH? People may have different reasons but I guess nobody suggested to shame an old handicapped lady.


people seem to think the way to "shame someone publicly" is to take their picture and upload it somewhere..lost in the midst of trillions of other shamed pics, where shamed person isn't going to see it, the shamer thinks he's scored a point, in the end nobody gives a fish tit.

Frankly, I am not that sure. At least there is a pretty broad audience and some members of it may get the message. If what you "reported" is really unsocial you will also get pretty overwhelming support.
Now compare this to the situation when you confront such AH and pretty sure all your fellow passengers will prefer to stay out of the situation, because as we all know it is just convenient to be that way. You may and up with the opposite effect you intended to achieve.

I am not saying you should not react, unfortunately I do it all the time (remember, I ride a motorbike in Singapore, plenty of AHs every single day) and I don't post anything on-line, but for the sake of argument, I think posting it to STOMP could be actually more effective.


ok stop for a minute and think.. it was a one on one situation and now you've turned into a many vs one situation on a social media platform that now acts as a platform for some kind of justice/solace All it does is create more negativity and vitriol and hatred.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby x9200 » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:21 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
people seem to think the way to "shame someone publicly" is to take their picture and upload it somewhere..lost in the midst of trillions of other shamed pics, where shamed person isn't going to see it, the shamer thinks he's scored a point, in the end nobody gives a fish tit.

Frankly, I am not that sure. At least there is a pretty broad audience and some members of it may get the message. If what you "reported" is really unsocial you will also get pretty overwhelming support.
Now compare this to the situation when you confront such AH and pretty sure all your fellow passengers will prefer to stay out of the situation, because as we all know it is just convenient to be that way. You may and up with the opposite effect you intended to achieve.

I am not saying you should not react, unfortunately I do it all the time (remember, I ride a motorbike in Singapore, plenty of AHs every single day) and I don't post anything on-line, but for the sake of argument, I think posting it to STOMP could be actually more effective.


ok stop for a minute and think.. it was a one on one situation and now you've turned into a many vs one situation on a social media platform that now acts as a platform for some kind of justice/solace All it does is create more negativity and vitriol and hatred.

It also teaches the lesson and have a good chance to teach this lesson to more people. What's wrong with creating negativity towards unsocial habits? You know, I make an assumption that the person who posts it is not an idiot and will not do anything which has no base.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby BBCWatcher » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 12:05 pm

the.pr.holder wrote:this behavior is too much. I'm glad that the majority still think that this behavior is impolite.

Impolite but not the first. Her seat mates erred first. The default behavior must be to get up and to allow her (or him -- this is not gender or age specific) to pass without impediment, without an obstacle course. If the passengers want to make some other mutually agreeable arrangement, that's up to them, but that's not the default, common sense assumption in these circumstances.

and again, I'm angry because it just doesnt make sense to give special treatment because of gender.

There is no special treatment in getting up to let your fellow passengers in/out of their seats. That is ordinary, decent, common courtesy practically (or actually) everywhere in the world and should not require a request (rude or polite). Indeed, it's even more courteous to get up periodically and give your interior seat mates the same opportunity. All without your fellow human beings even needing to ask.

in this case, she could just walk through the passengers without any issues....

No, she (or he) cannot. It's economy class. It is impossible to enter/exit an interior seat while another passenger is seated in the aisle seat without acrobatics, gymnastics, leaping, and/or physical contact. Post a video if you would like to demonstrate otherwise, but I think it's fair to say nobody who has flown in economy class believes you.

It's the same with elevators, trains, or any other confined spaces. If somebody is trying to get in or out, get out of his/her way, even without being asked. Do the best you can in the circumstances, and sitting on your butt in economy class (when the seat belt sign is off) is not your best. It's not hard, it's not complicated, and it's not controversial. It's simple, ordinary human decency.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 12:34 pm

x9200 wrote:It also teaches the lesson and have a good chance to teach this lesson to more people. What's wrong with creating negativity towards unsocial habits? You know, I make an assumption that the person who posts it is not an idiot and will not do anything which has no base.


what you are proposing is a form of social vigilantism.
If you think you have moral immunity in how you respond to an act you deem wrong, if you’re bolstered by witnessing mutual reaction and views from others to the wrong act, this is essentially mob justice.And mob justice is not, in fact, justice due to the inherent unfairness
Shaming, it seems, has become a core competency of the Internet, and it’s one that can destroy both lives and livelihoods ( as we have seen with many cases on STOMP)
At its worst, it’s a weapon of mass reputation destruction, capable of amplifying slander, bullying, and casual idiocy on a scale never before possible.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the.pr.holder
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2016

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby the.pr.holder » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 1:30 pm

could only find this

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Jp895QTBfrE/ ... G_2769.JPG

that's the low cost carrier, Tiger Airways if I'm not mistaken. You can see that you can squeeze 3 legs there. I've been doing this for many years now, so I know it's very doable. unless you're a sumo wrestler where you butt can reach all the way to the passenger's nose, I'm pretty sure it's very doable.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby x9200 » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 1:36 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
x9200 wrote:It also teaches the lesson and have a good chance to teach this lesson to more people. What's wrong with creating negativity towards unsocial habits? You know, I make an assumption that the person who posts it is not an idiot and will not do anything which has no base.


what you are proposing is a form of social vigilantism.
If you think you have moral immunity in how you respond to an act you deem wrong, if you’re bolstered by witnessing mutual reaction and views from others to the wrong act, this is essentially mob justice.And mob justice is not, in fact, justice due to the inherent unfairness
Shaming, it seems, has become a core competency of the Internet, and it’s one that can destroy both lives and livelihoods ( as we have seen with many cases on STOMP)
At its worst, it’s a weapon of mass reputation destruction, capable of amplifying slander, bullying, and casual idiocy on a scale never before possible.

Your rage that started from the response to the BBCW posts is like attacking all the knives because the knives can kill. Perhaps you could reflect a bit and for a change assume you are not talking to some morons where you are the only one wise? Surely you are not there yet. What you assumed to be vigilantism is just your narrow view of the situation. If you want to continue this style, save your time. If you want to respond with something meaningful, try to counter-reason my arguments rather than flooding me with some emotionally loaded words that are nothing but just words.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 2:03 pm

x9200 wrote:Your rage that started from the response to the BBCW posts is like attacking all the knives because the knives can kill. Perhaps you could reflect a bit and for a change assume you are not talking to some morons where you are the only one wise? Surely you are not there yet. What you assumed to be vigilantism is just your narrow view of the situation. If you want to continue this style, save your time. If you want to respond with something meaningful, try to counter-reason my arguments rather than flooding me with some emotionally loaded words that are nothing but just words.


lol@rage - surely thats a bit too extreme of a reaction to BBCW's posts, you could describe it as disdain perhaps, not rage..it's not just my personal views on this matter, there are a lot more articles pertaining to the use of social media as a platform for doling justice and its fallacies.
I see your arguments as a rather long winded approach to a minor problem that can be dealt with face to face.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby x9200 » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 2:07 pm

Can not. That's the problem. It's a quixotism. You should talk, but don't expect any impact.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1035
Joined: Sun, 13 Sep 2015

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby BBCWatcher » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 2:34 pm

the.pr.holder wrote:You can see that you can squeeze 3 legs there.

No you can't. But, regardless, why is it the window seat passenger's obligation to "squeeze" anything? This isn't a voluntary squeezing contest. Get up off your butt and let the other passenger in and out! Even if a behavior were physically possible -- for example, drinking tea through your nose during a private audience with the Queen of England -- it doesn't mean it's socially acceptable.

You haven't found anybody arguing this point because there is no rational, reasonable argument in favor of laziness and acute lack of common courtesy.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 3:07 pm

x9200 wrote:Can not. That's the problem. It's a quixotism. You should talk, but don't expect any impact.


i'll just leave this here..this is the sort of shitstorm that these type of things eventually lead to.

https://storify.com/cbccommunity/plane- ... een-passen
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9286
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 3:29 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
x9200 wrote:Can not. That's the problem. It's a quixotism. You should talk, but don't expect any impact.


i'll just leave this here..this is the sort of shitstorm that these type of things eventually lead to.

https://storify.com/cbccommunity/plane- ... een-passen

And OP wanted drama, and drama is what she got !!!

the.pr.holder
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2016

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby the.pr.holder » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 3:42 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:No you can't. But, regardless, why is it the window seat passenger's obligation to "squeeze" anything? This isn't a voluntary squeezing contest. Get up off your butt and let the other passenger in and out! Even if a behavior were physically possible -- for example, drinking tea through your nose during a private audience with the Queen of England -- it doesn't mean it's socially acceptable.

You haven't found anybody arguing this point because there is no rational, reasonable argument in favor of laziness and acute lack of common courtesy.


I havent found anybody arguing, that is so true. it's not rational to argue about this. and yet, this is the first time someone invokes "I'm a girl" card over this small matter. lots of people, guys and girls have been doing this, i.e. just walking through other passengers, nobody's protesting.
nobody's telling you to get into any contest, but if you can just walk through without any difficulty, why make things difficult? if the guy wants to get up, good, but if he doesnt and you can pass, then why not?
this is not a rude behavior, like drinking tea through your nose. that's not even a comparison.

the.pr.holder
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2016

Re: RE: Re: airplane seating etiquette

Postby the.pr.holder » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 3:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:
And OP wanted drama, and drama is what she got !!!


hey hypocrite,

ecureilx wrote:Please avoid ad homi attacks please


and yet,

ecureilx wrote:So "cry baby", how long was this flight and how many times did you have to get up ?

Are you not gentleman enough to get up and let a lady pass ? Long legs or not ?


right back at you, you "gentleman" enough to rectify that comment?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests