Singapore Expats

airplane seating etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
the.pr.holder

airplane seating etiquette

Post by the.pr.holder » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 9:15 pm

Hi,

So, this is just a small incident, but still, I'm a quite shocked by it. So, I was on a plane. during the flight, a girl sitting at window seat across the aisle from my seat was going to the toilet. the guys sitting next to her adjusted their sitting position so that she can pass through. to my surprise, this girl asked them to get up from their seat and stand on the aisle so that she can pass through. "I'm a girl, so I can't go out like that", she said something like that :shock:
the guys were also a bit shocked (which is not surprising), but they didnt want to argue, so they got up from their seats for this "princess" to pass through. the same also for when she returned from the toilet, these poor "royal guards" got up so that "her majesty" can get back to her window seat unobstructed. =D>
This is very shocking to me. I was thinking that perhaps this girl was some descendant from the Ming dynasty or something? or just some rude girl with no manners who wasn't educated properly by her parents?
what are your thoughts, everybody? I mean, I've been flying for as long as I can remember, and during those times, if window-seat passenger wants to get out, guys and girls alike, the other passengers just need to adjust their sitting position. the only exception is if you're very tall that your knee will always touch the seat in front of you, you have no choice, you need to stand up.
in my opinion, it's no different from when you're inside the movie theater. if you sit next to the wall, does that mean 5-10 people sitting next to you must all get up to "clear the path" for you? =D>
what do you guys think? is it normal for girls to ask for "royal" treatment like this?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: airplane seating etiquette

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 9:52 pm

the.pr.holder wrote:Hi,

So, this is just a small incident, but still, I'm a quite shocked by it. So, I was on a plane. during the flight, a girl sitting at window seat across the aisle from my seat was going to the toilet. the guys sitting next to her adjusted their sitting position so that she can pass through. to my surprise, this girl asked them to get up from their seat and stand on the aisle so that she can pass through. "I'm a girl, so I can't go out like that", she said something like that :shock:
the guys were also a bit shocked (which is not surprising), but they didnt want to argue, so they got up from their seats for this "princess" to pass through. the same also for when she returned from the toilet, these poor "royal guards" got up so that "her majesty" can get back to her window seat unobstructed. =D>
This is very shocking to me. I was thinking that perhaps this girl was some descendant from the Ming dynasty or something? or just some rude girl with no manners who wasn't educated properly by her parents?
what are your thoughts, everybody? I mean, I've been flying for as long as I can remember, and during those times, if window-seat passenger wants to get out, guys and girls alike, the other passengers just need to adjust their sitting position. the only exception is if you're very tall that your knee will always touch the seat in front of you, you have no choice, you need to stand up.
in my opinion, it's no different from when you're inside the movie theater. if you sit next to the wall, does that mean 5-10 people sitting next to you must all get up to "clear the path" for you? =D>
what do you guys think? is it normal for girls to ask for "royal" treatment like this?
If you were In economy class, what she did wasn't wrong at all. Maybe in the past she had guys feel her legs when she had to pass by ...

Now, unless the flight was full, the check in person should have not placed a single lady among men like you ;) don't take the last statement seriously!!

By the way,

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 9:54 pm

Being as

a) I almost always get an isle seat.
b) I'm tall with long legs

I always have to get up.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:22 pm

You mean an aisle seat not isle seat strong eagle :lol:
Same here, I'm tall and there's no point in me trying to contract my legs..so I get up irregardless of gender
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

the.pr.holder

Re: RE: airplane seating etiquette

Post by the.pr.holder » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:27 pm

ecureilx wrote: Now, unless the flight was full, the check in person should have not placed a single lady among men like you ;) don't take the last statement seriously!!

By the way,
oh, I missed this one. I'm a mother by the way, so, it should've been "among women like you"
Last edited by the.pr.holder on Mon, 01 Aug 2016 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:43 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:You mean an aisle seat not isle seat strong eagle :lol:
Same here, I'm tall and there's no point in me trying to contract my legs..so I get up irregardless of gender
I had to laugh at this one raj, while there isn't any isle seat neither is there an irregardless! It's regardless only. Hoist by one's own petard, perchance? Be careful, BBCW will give you a whole ration of poo on the subject. :lol:[/quote]
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: airplane seating etiquette

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:50 pm

the.pr.holder wrote: really? this is really weird. every girl that I can remember in the flights, none of 'em ever done this. if this is true, does that mean in a movie theater, everybody (5-10 people) must get up so that the princess near the wall can go through?
They maximum seat spread on planes are 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 or so, in large wide bodies. So a passenger needs to just pass 2 at the most, or in middle rows they just hop across 1 Pax. Don't dramatize it ... Nothing for you to be shocked !!!

It's not like 5 people need to get up.

So "cry baby", how long was this flight and how many times did you have to get up ?

Are you not gentleman enough to get up and let a lady pass ? Long legs or not ?

Oh, getting up is good for your health as it helps lower the risk of DVT.

If you still hold so much grudge, A) write to the airline about it or B) pay more and get "choice" seats more leg room or better still, fly Business class !

How old was this lady who riled you up ? Which airline was it ?

PS, I am not fat but with the herring bone seats, the effective leg room has actually reduced.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I had to laugh at this one raj, while there isn't any isle seat neither is there an irregardless! It's regardless only. Hoist by one's own petard, perchance? Be careful, BBCW will give you a whole ration of poo on the subject. Image
Please avoid ad homi attacks please Image

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 10:59 pm

:tongue: [-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the.pr.holder

Re: RE: Re: RE: airplane seating etiquette

Post by the.pr.holder » Sun, 31 Jul 2016 11:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
They maximum seat spread on planes are 3-3-3 or 3-4-3 or so, in large wide bodies. So a passenger needs to just pass 2 at the most, or in middle rows they just hop across 1 Pax. Don't dramatize it ... Nothing for you to be shocked !!!

It's not like 5 people need to get up.

So "cry baby", how long was this flight and how many times did you have to get up ?

Are you not gentleman enough to get up and let a lady pass ? Long legs or not ?

Oh, getting up is good for your health as it helps lower the risk of DVT.

If you still hold so much grudge, A) write to the airline about it or B) pay more and get "choice" seats more leg room or better still, fly Business class !

How old was this lady who riled you up ? Which airline was it ?

PS, I am not fat but with the herring bone seats, the effective leg room has actually reduced.
no lah, why should I hold grudge, I was merely an observer. she's young by the way, around 20, 25 tops, cant be older than that. a healthy young girl basically, not an elderly woman. the flight was around 7 hours I think. not sure how many times she went to the toilet, got asleep most of the flight. it's qantas.
it's not about being a gentleman, but a young healthy girl being independent and not spoiled. because, this is the first time this happened, and I;ve flown for decades now.

the.pr.holder

Post by the.pr.holder » Mon, 01 Aug 2016 12:11 am

hmm, that's weird, when I tried to quote the same post again, it edited my previous post.
I was responding to ecureilx's post.
Now, unless the flight was full, the check in person should have not placed a single lady among men like you
a lady here, not a guy.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 01 Aug 2016 8:35 am

the.pr.holder wrote:during the flight, a girl sitting at window seat across the aisle from my seat was going to the toilet. the guys sitting next to her adjusted their sitting position so that she can pass through. to my surprise, this girl asked them to get up from their seat and stand on the aisle so that she can pass through.
The gentlemen should have acted like gentlemen and gotten up off their butts immediately, without prompting. I'm assuming either the seat belt sign was turned off or there was an emergency. It's widely considered rude not to provide enough space for someone to pass in any context, at least in civilized parts of the world. In economy class that always means getting up. I'm shocked you're shocked.

Articles on airline etiquette barely consider the scenario you've described (since thoughtful, polite passengers would always get up) except when the aisle seat passenger is asleep. Then the question becomes whether to wake that passenger to ask him/her to clear access to the aisle. The short answer is yes, but "be reasonable."

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Mon, 01 Aug 2016 8:59 am

I always try to get an aisle seat and have always stood for anyone (male/female) who wants to go to the toilet.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 01 Aug 2016 9:07 am

I always get up to the aisle in the situations like this, partly for the reason I am a big guy, but mostly because for me this is about preserving ones and mine personal space. For the same reason I don't lean on someone's back while queueing and don't enter packed elevators.
If I occupy the middle seat, and the person on the aisle seat does nothing, then I stand up on the seat.

This whole thread resembles a discussion I had some longer time ago about pissing under the shower.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Aug 2016 9:37 am

Much better than pissing in the wind, x92!