Singapore Expats

airplane seating etiquette

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by x9200 » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 3:54 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
x9200 wrote:Can not. That's the problem. It's a quixotism. You should talk, but don't expect any impact.
i'll just leave this here..this is the sort of shitstorm that these type of things eventually lead to.

https://storify.com/cbccommunity/plane- ... een-passen
It's up to you Raj (and me) where this is going to end up. That's the whole secret.

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Post by poodlek » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 3:55 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:This isn't a voluntary squeezing contest.
I'm not so sure about that anymore...the last Tiger flight I took was rather like a clown car, and I did subject my own self to it.

Also, I guess I must be a sumo wrestler because there's no way I could easily or comfortably fit past a person in that gap. Plus there's the issue of disturbing the person in the seat ahead, which would be inevitable.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 4:45 pm

poodlek wrote:Also, I guess I must be a sumo wrestler because there's no way I could easily or comfortably fit past a person in that gap.
Agreed. Nobody can, with the possible exception of Karen Carpenter in her last days trying to get past Emmanuel Lewis as a child, and carefully rehearsed at that. Regardless, what's the "damn good reason" the aisle seat passenger cannot simply get up off his/her butt? Are people so lazy and disrespectful of others that this is a problem? Come on.

As for the "commonality" argument, it's ridiculous. Many people litter, fail to turn away and bury their faces in their sleeves when they cough/sneeze, urinate/defecate in public even when restrooms abound, or otherwise engage in rude, obnoxious, inconsiderate behaviors. The overwhelming consensus is that those behaviors are still rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate. The fact they happen doesn't mean they aren't. Most people quietly tolerate random acts of rudeness and incivility while still being upset. That female window seat passenger, on that occasion, did not.

I have had a couple window and middle seat passengers try to barrel over me while I'm still seated in the aisle seat, without being allowed even two seconds to act courteously (as I would, of course). I have had to let them know, politely, to wait just a moment so that I can get up, gladly so. On one occasion somebody tried to barrel through/pole vault over me while I was working on a cabled-up laptop. NOT cool! Passengers should, by default, know that it's rude, obnoxious, and inconsiderate to that aisle seat passenger to attempt to pole vault (or whatever) over him/her. There is absolutely no reason, no justification for such rude behavior. Getting up is simply not a problem, with very rare circumstantial exceptions. Those rare exceptions include truly physically challenged aisle seat passengers, an illuminated seat belt sign with no genuine emergency, and perhaps during meal service(*) -- with brief, polite discussions between passengers to find mutually agreeable solutions in these exceptional cases.

(*) I can lift and hold my tray while I stand -- gladly so, not a problem. It's not heavy, and I shouldn't be on an airliner if I can't lift a tray. However, that middle or window seat passenger probably won't get far when there's a service cart in the aisle. Hence the brief, polite discussion.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 7:09 pm

the.pr.holder wrote: hey hypocrite,
ecureilx wrote:Please avoid ad homi attacks please
and yet,
That wasn't directed at you and you won't get the context in any case! Just for your info. (And what's ad homi ??? Image )

Happy now ?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 10:31 pm

the.pr.holder wrote:yes, correct. this behavior is too much. I'm glad that the majority still think that this behavior is impolite. most passengers that I encounter would just walk through the other passengers, unless of course they're tall, which is quite often. and again, I'm angry because it just doesnt make sense to give special treatment because of gender.
a girl carrying a lot of stuff, so if you're a guy, you should help her. I agree with this, but not because the one carrying tons of stuff is a girl, but because humans help each other. if I see a guy, even younger than me carrying a lot of stuff, I'll still offer my help. or perhaps I'll hold the door for him.
in this case, she could just walk through the passengers without any issues, and yet, she decided to "invoke" gender-based royal treatment when most people dont. and she does that to guys old enough to be her dad. that's just not right. asians always respect their elders. even when the guys were not that old [..]
Was it that or rather the possible sexual connotations? You know, being forced into some physical contact with the males? I can not justify properly my feeling *, but I have the impression the local girls (culture?) are sort of obsessed with it.

*) other than that the sexuality seems to be much stronger taboo in Singapore than in most of the Western countries.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:13 pm

Looking at the fact that SG has the lowest TFR in the developed world, you may well be on to something!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 7:57 am

Singapore also has the lowest total fertility rate in the world, not only in the developed world. But no, that has nothing whatsoever to do with getting off your butt and letting middle and window seat passengers in and out, as common courtesy requires.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 9:54 am

Ee..ee..not that way. This way: the expectation of someone for the others to get their butts off the seats may have the same source as the set of factors contributing to low fertility rate.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 11:12 am

I'd phrase it this way: we should all hope that adults (of either gender) who don't have enough common sense, without prompting, to get up off their butts to let middle and window seat passengers in and out are not passing their genes on to future generations.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 12:19 pm

No no BBCW. You missed the point. Most men in Singapore live in fear of some f....g princess accusing them of molestation and getting a compounded payment (in lieu of a court sentence for the man) - you can blame the women's charter.

I avoid Singapore's women's bodies like the plague because of the off chance she'll scream "he touched my butt even though it was my fault I was climbing over him in the aisle seat and say on his hands as I fell!".
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 12:39 pm

PNGMK wrote: I avoid Singapore's women's bodies like the plague because of the off chance she'll scream "he touched my butt even though it was my fault I was climbing over him in the aisle seat and say on his hands as I fell!".
Agreed, Unless it was some orientation camp, most males here live in eternal fear of being accused....

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 1:27 pm

Wow, this airline seating etiquette is getting more complicated by the day. Gotta love this forum :P .

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 2:22 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Wow, this airline seating etiquette is getting more complicated by the day.
No, it's all pointing (up) in one direction: getting up off your butt. Not complicated!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: airplane seating etiquette

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 4:01 pm

ecureilx wrote: Unless it was some orientation camp
Somewhere they get sent as part of NS induction to determine if they're heterosexual?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

the.pr.holder

Post by the.pr.holder » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 4:35 pm

ok, perhaps the "I'm a girl" part really got me worked up. it just sends a very wrong signal to me. and the drama caused by her when nothing should've happened over such small matter.