Singapore Expats Forum

20M American- Looking for friends

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Jacruz

20M American- Looking for friends

Postby Jacruz » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 9:01 pm

Hey y'all,

My name is Alex and I'm from Memphis, TN. I have an internship here in Singapore until December so I'll be here for a little while.
I'm looking for people who would like to go out to the bars/clubs around here. I'm also planning on doing all the regular touristy stuff so I'd also like to meet people who want to explore the island more and travel to nearby cities.

If you're seeing this post on the same night it's posted I'll be going out to the clubs tonight so send me a message if you want to tag along! If you see it later still feel free to send me a message if you want to meet up and we can exchange numbers.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: 20M American- Looking for friends

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 9:07 pm

Whoa! You're definitely a fish outta water! No mountains here! Booze, got. Broads, got. Good music venues, no got. Count on one hand maybe and still have one left to point with (which is rude here - point with your thumb). ;-)

Jacruz

Postby Jacruz » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 9:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Whoa! You're definitely a fish outta water! No mountains here! Booze, got. Broads, got. Good music venues, no got. Count on one hand maybe and still have one left to point with (which is rude here - point with your thumb). ;-)

Memphis is actually a decent sized city so not many mountains where I am either haha and thanks for the tip! I went out last night to a club in CQ and it was pretty fun but definitely more pricey than I expected, but hey that's what the job is for :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 10:11 pm

I'm familiar with Memphis & Nashville due to Graceland and the Grand Old Opry which my wife sang in back in 1981. (She is also known as The Singapore Cowgirl - now retired). I also live in Louisiana in the late 70's-early 80's so am rather familiar with most of the larger cities in the "deep". I'm originally from MD but my sister is in FL & one of my step-brothers is outside of Birmingham niy but used to live in Atlanta and in Duram where he went to Duke many years ago. My mother is from the coal mining camps of W. 'by god' Virginia (Bluefield). But I came here on a 12 month contract in 1982 and never left. ;-)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: 20M American- Looking for friends

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:49 pm

Jacruz wrote: I went out last night to a club in CQ and it was pretty fun but definitely more pricey than I expected, but hey that's what the job is for

Drinking in Clark quay et al is the best way to spend $ on expensive drinks !

Not that other places are much cheaper

Jacruz

Postby Jacruz » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 9:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm familiar with Memphis & Nashville due to Graceland and the Grand Old Opry which my wife sang in back in 1981. (She is also known as The Singapore Cowgirl - now retired). I also live in Louisiana in the late 70's-early 80's so am rather familiar with most of the larger cities in the "deep". I'm originally from MD but my sister is in FL & one of my step-brothers is outside of Birmingham niy but used to live in Atlanta and in Duram where he went to Duke many years ago. My mother is from the coal mining camps of W. 'by god' Virginia (Bluefield). But I came here on a 12 month contract in 1982 and never left. ;-)

Ah, sounds like you definitely have experience with the states. I would like to formally apologize that you had to spend your time In Louisiana :lol: Hopefully you aren't an LSU fan because I go to Ole Miss!

ecureilx wrote: Drinking in Clark quay et al is the best way to spend $ on expensive drinks !

Not that other places are much cheaper

I think the best strategy is to drink beforehand and then just go out and split a $200 bottle between your group, so everybody pitches in like $40 (the price of 2 regular drinks) and then you can get way more to drink. Very economic :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Aug 2016 11:48 am

Jacruz wrote:Ah, sounds like you definitely have experience with the states. I would like to formally apologize that you had to spend your time In Louisiana :lol: Hopefully you aren't an LSU fan because I go to Ole Miss!

Good School!. I'm, as I said, a Marylander originally. But I hear you on the Louisiana bit. I'm a glutton for punishment sometimes. I did my Basic Training if Ft. Puke (Ft. Polk) La in 1965. Swore I'd never go back to that god forsaken state. Fast forward to 1977, I did just that. Moved to Morgan City on the Gulf of Mexico to work in the GOM oilfields as a commercial diver. Then in '82 I was sent to Singapore on a 12 month contract and have been here ever since.