Singapore Expats

Refresh driving lessons advice

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
bak_kwa
Regular
Regular

Refresh driving lessons advice

Post by bak_kwa » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 9:57 am

Hi,

I have not driven since 2005 when I came to Singapore from India. I used to drive a car in India before I came over to Singapore. Since coming over to Singapore I have been using the public transport, since then, for work as well as for my personal errands / trips. However now I would be joining a new company in one month's time from now and this job requires me to drive both in Singapore and overseas (this job requires me to travel overseas frequently where I would need to drive as well for work).

Honestly my driving is, for obvious reasons, "rusty" and I think I need to refresh myself after a very long hiatus of almost 11 years. Hence I am seeking advice from you all whether taking up private lessons from a good experienced driving tutor is good or am I better off joining a driving school like the one at Bukit Batok (if I am not Wrong).

Thanks in advance for the advice :)

saran

Re: Refresh driving lessons advice

Post by saran » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:50 am

you can try "Class 3 Refresher course" from driving school to check your confident. I assume you have valid driving license.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:52 am

You can only drive like you are still in India if you own a black BMW. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bak_kwa
Regular
Regular

Post by bak_kwa » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 3:26 pm

Thanks Saran. I assume you mean that this driving course would be taken in a driving school like the one in Bukit Batok.

I wish it was a BMW ;).....have to see what that company is going to give me :D

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 9:44 pm

Do you have a valid Singapore license? Or a valid Indian license? You might be able to convert a valid Indian license at this late date, otherwise, if you have neither you will have to do the whole driver training course to get a license.

bak_kwa
Regular
Regular

Post by bak_kwa » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 4:27 pm

hi Strong Eagle,

I had an Indian driving license with an IDP attached with it when I first arrived in Singapore 11 years back. It has expired and hence as you indicated I will have to do from "scratch".

Usually what kind of a time frame am I looking at in order to get a proper Singapore driving license assuming I start taking driving lessons and then obtaining a learner's license before I get the formal driving license? Also, in your opinion, is the driving school at Bukit Batok a good one?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 4:45 pm

It takes about 6 months for a motorcycle license, based on a friend's recent experience. I guess the same for a car.

bak_kwa
Regular
Regular

Post by bak_kwa » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 5:42 pm

hmmm...OK

thanks bgd :)

bak_kwa
Regular
Regular

Post by bak_kwa » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 5:44 pm

However.....can it be said that the driving school at Bukit Batok is a good one for my purpose?

Thanks

saran

Post by saran » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 8:34 pm

It seems you can renew if expiry date of Indian driving license is less than 5 years.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 9:23 pm

bak_kwa wrote:hi Strong Eagle,

I had an Indian driving license with an IDP attached with it when I first arrived in Singapore 11 years back. It has expired and hence as you indicated I will have to do from "scratch".

Usually what kind of a time frame am I looking at in order to get a proper Singapore driving license assuming I start taking driving lessons and then obtaining a learner's license before I get the formal driving license? Also, in your opinion, is the driving school at Bukit Batok a good one?

Bukit Batok would be as good as any driving center, and yes, six months is sort of the norm but can be done faster if you have the time to take the lessons and tests closer together.

Your best bet would be to see if you can get your Indian license renewed. Check the requirements for a Singapore conversion of an Indian license and make sure the terms are all met. Singapore makes exceptions to the one year rule and you sound like a candidate for whom they would make an exception.

bak_kwa
Regular
Regular

Post by bak_kwa » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 11:01 pm

I take note.

thanks Strong Eagle :)

bak_kwa
Regular
Regular

Post by bak_kwa » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 9:42 am

Hello All,

I got in touch with BBDC and Comfort Delgro.......all of them are fully booked, on the driving classes, all the way up till sometime middle of August (BBDC is all the way up till November). Since I would not be able wait that long, I am once again seeking your advice on good private instructors who I reckon could be flexible with the timings / days for taking driving lessons.

Thanking you in advance :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Refresh driving lessons advice

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 11:32 am

bak_kwa wrote:Hello All,

I got in touch with BBDC and Comfort Delgro.......all of them are fully booked, on the driving classes, all the way up till sometime middle of August (BBDC is all the way up till November). Since I would not be able wait that long, I am once again seeking your advice on good private instructors who I reckon could be flexible with the timings / days for taking driving lessons.

Thanking you in advance :)
If you use Google (ahem) you maybe spoilt for choices ..

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Aug 2016 9:23 pm

Is there any chance you can get your Indian license renewed? That would be a lot faster.