Singapore Expats

EP min salary to be raised to $3600 from Jan 2017

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

EP min salary to be raised to $3600 from Jan 2017

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 26 Jul 2016 8:25 pm

http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-re ... y-criteria

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: EP min salary to be raised to $3600 from Jan 2017

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 26 Jul 2016 8:50 pm

Wd40 wrote:http://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-re ... y-criteria

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
yeah, but at 3,600, the chance of getting an EP is like super low - aim higher, very much higher, if looking at that number ;) More like 4,400 ??

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jul 2016 9:03 pm

What it IS going to do is cut down on the additional baggage. By throwing a large number of EPs into the S pass range it will mean no spouse or kiddos for them. While it will probably not affect those on EP immediately, it will apply to them if they try to change jobs and find the wify will have to return to their native land unless able to secure their own EP/S pass/WP. They will probably add another $200 to the S pass starting salary as well up to $2400 to go along with the new $650 2nd tier S pass levy.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 26 Jul 2016 9:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:What it IS going to do is cut down on the additional baggage. By throwing a large number of EPs into the S pass range it will mean no spouse or kiddos for them.
I don't quite follow your logic, SMS. EP holders already have a $5,000 minimum income threshold to obtain DPs for spouses(*) and children.

The $5,000 minimum came into effect on September 1, 2015, up from $4,000 previously. Before 2012 it was a mere $2,800 (S Pass holders) and no minimum except the pass minimum (EP holders). In short, the government knows how to reduce "baggage," most directly, with an increase in that $5,000 threshold. So I don't think "baggage" reduction is what's going on here. It's really about raising the cost of foreign talent in the lower salary ranges relative to the resident workforce.

(*) Are you alluding to the scenario with two working spouses, both in the <$5,000 income range, both trying to obtain or renew S Passes or EPs? I guess there's something there, but two independently qualifying foreign workers -- husband/wife, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/husband, or whatever -- aren't really what I'd call "baggage." And if baggage happens to arrive (a child) then the DP is still impossible without somebody in the foreign household hitting the $5,000 threshold.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:25 pm

This is going to have an interesting effect in some of the smaller International Schools (they like to hire young teachers on the minimum for an S Pass).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!