Singapore Expats

Agents .v. Direct Submission and General Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
canecent

Agents .v. Direct Submission and General Chances

Post by canecent » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 2:22 pm

Hi everyone,

I would love and appreciate any comments or advise from those with previous experience with the PR application process.

1) Are there added benefits of using an agent other than them essentially saving you time by preparing the documents for you? Are chances truly higher via an agent or do you have the same chance of success (or rejection) based purely on your credentials?

2) In terms of my credentials, I would appreciate any feedback or comments regarding the below.

Education / Diplomas:
-N/A

Nationality:
- Born Canadian, secondary citizenship in Israel

Current Status:
- EP (Canadian nationality)
- Nearing 3 years in the country, 2 tax filings completed

Work:
- Listed Director in two companies (telecom & investments), Commercial Director in one of those companies
- Private investor (minority shareholder) in 3 local Singaporean businesses

Salary:
- 12k SGD base
- Various minor allowances

Involvement in Society / Misc:
- Volunteering as instructor 3x per week at local martial arts gym with a focus on kids and teenagers
- Completed CPR and AED training at local Red Cross
- Taking Mandarin classes with a tutor
- Active relationship with a local Singaporean girlfriend
- Attending local church services

While I realise no one can say definitively, I would love to hear the comments of anyone with experience in terms of what you feel are the chances of the above application type.

Thanks!

- A hopeful PR applicant

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Agents .v. Direct Submission and General Chances

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 2:52 pm

Age?
Previous postings (countries) & duration's?

No. Most agencies only will take you on if they feel you have an almost sure thing as if they aren't successful, then their "success" claims goes down. (Usually will be found in the fine print somewhere on their website that they reserve the right not to take on your business). Therefore, you can fill out the forms as well as they can. In fact, the forms are all designed for the average O level hold to be able to understand and complete. Looking at your business acumen I'd say there should be absolutely no need for an agency.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

canecent

Post by canecent » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 2:56 pm

Thanks!

I have lived in various countries but the majority of my life has been in either Canada or Israel. Everywhere else were very brief stays on behalf of the group / companies I am a Director of here in Singapore.

On that note, although no educational / diploma documents are available, my CV does contain active working experience in my fields for the past 10-12 years.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 3:02 pm

Give it a shot. If you have active related working experience in the 10 year range, I'd say go for it. Does your company hire locals employees? This would be a BIG bonus (as opposed to you incorporating in every country you work in as a single person company).

My question (if I were ICA) is if your working life has been a series of moves on behalf of your group of companies, the chances of you moving again would probably be rather good. Therefore why take up a PR slot that might be better invested on someone who looks like they may stay around for a while.

I say go ahead and give it a try. The worst they can do is say no. And, if they do, it allows you to start making a Plan B if necessary or to wait a couple more years and apply again.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

canecent

Post by canecent » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 3:06 pm

Thanks for the comments! Very much appreciated.

The local hires for now is admittedly and unfortunately limited. We have a very small handful of EP holders on board currently.

My only "counter-argument" to the concern of potentially moving again in terms of concrete facts (apart from my positive emotional / feelings towards Singapore) would be the fact that one of the two companies I am a Director of here is intended to be the global Parent company of all other entities we maintain. My hope is that this would indicate a long-term interest in Singapore purely from a work / business standpoint.

Thanks once again for your comments :)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 3:19 pm

Be very careful. If all you have are foreigners working in the company, it doesn't bode well at all. In fact, you could find yourself in a position where you cannot hire any more foreigner if it looks like you are not trying to help the country. Paying taxes doesn't matter as it just a small amount compared to the the rest of the world - only Hong Kong is SG's competition on tax rates. What matters to them is that you are helping Singapore, e.g., employing Singaporeans. Sadly, actual actions and intended intent seem rather far apart. However, as I said. Give it a go. You never know.

canecent

Post by canecent » Mon, 25 Jul 2016 3:22 pm

Very clear. I appreciate your comments, thank you!