Singapore Expats

Snake control

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Snake control

Post by Guest » Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:48 am

Hi,

We had some unpleasant visitors in our garden last few days. Black jumpy snakes, possibly cobras.

So far they have been on and under our patio only, but is it common they enter houses too?

What can be done to keep this under control? I have heard of sulphur, is is efficient? Is is safe with kids? Will a dog keep them out? We have three small kids so we are very keen on sorting this in best possible manner.

We do live close to a junglish area so it is resonable to assume the problem will never go away, but there must be ways to keep it under control.

In case of a snake bite, is it survivable? Stories say you get as little as 30 seconds to live depending on species, but is that just scary tales?

Would be great with some help on this matter.

bill

Post by bill » Tue, 01 Feb 2005 3:54 pm

Hi I don't think that they would be Cobras. They may be the normal rat snakes which are aggressive and very fast moving. They are non poisonous but most people who get bitten go into shock and not due to the venom. I don't think sulfer will scare them off but try burning a few rags near your patio the smell usually makes them avoid the place.

Lastly snakes never like to come near humans and will keep their own distance. try to teach the kids not to pick up strange looking things in the garden or put their hands down holes as they may accidently get bitten.