Singapore Expats

Long Term Visit Pass Help!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Karl1988

Long Term Visit Pass Help!

Post by Karl1988 » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 8:54 pm

Hi All,

Wondering if you guys can help. I've accepted a job to re-locate with my current company in the UK to move to Singapore.

Sponsored employment pass shouldn't be an issue for myself. However I'm a little concerned with respect to my partner. She is to join me on a Long Term Visit Pass but we're not married and the UK does not recognise a 'common-law' relationship.

Does anyone know what documentation can be used to prove that we are in a genuine relationship or is the only choice to get married? We don't really have the finances at the moment and don't want to rush our wedding day either!

Thanks in advance, any help or advice would be appreciated! I really want this move!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Long Term Visit Pass Help!

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 9:08 pm

Karl1988 wrote:We don't really have the finances at the moment and don't want to rush our wedding day either!
I'm not sure I understand. You can get married in Denmark (to pick one example) for a couple hundred euro. Whether and when you have a big wedding party -- and how much you spend on it -- is an entirely separate question.

Singapore wants some official evidence of either civil legal marriage or, in certain cases, official recognition of a partnership. Singapore does not care at all how big and expensive your wedding party was, or even whether you had one at all. I don't think the United Kingdom offers official recognition of a partnership other than a civil marriage. Other countries do.

Karl1988

Post by Karl1988 » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 9:14 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
Karl1988 wrote:We don't really have the finances at the moment and don't want to rush our wedding day either!
I'm not sure I understand. You can get married in Denmark (to pick one example) for a couple hundred euro. Whether and when you have a big wedding party -- and how much you spend on it -- is an entirely separate question.

Singapore wants some official evidence of either civil legal marriage or, in certain cases, official recognition of a partnership. Singapore does not care at all how big and expensive your wedding party was, or even whether you had one at all. I don't think the United Kingdom offers official recognition of a partnership other than a civil marriage. Other countries do.
I guess what I mean is we'd always wanted to plan it and have the wedding and celebration with family and friends etc at the same time. If there's no other option then we'd have to get married and celebrate the way we'd want to at a later date, I was just wondering if there was any other way of proving that we're in a genuine relationship.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 9:46 pm

No - Because, as you said, the UK does not recognize common law marriage, hence, the high commission in Singapore will not issue the documentation you would like to have, and Singapore won't accept anything else.

Karl1988

Post by Karl1988 » Wed, 20 Jul 2016 10:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:No - Because, as you said, the UK does not recognize common law marriage, hence, the high commission in Singapore will not issue the documentation you would like to have, and Singapore won't accept anything else.
My company has recommended proceeding with the Employment Pass and then speak further with the MOM with regards to the Long Term Visit Pass. If it is required then we'll go ahead and get married. Is there any other documentation required to support this or will the marriage certificate suffice?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 21 Jul 2016 1:41 am

The marriage certificate is fine, and in that case it'd be a Dependant's Pass not a LTVP.

Your partner could also hypothetically qualify for a pass on her own merits, such as her own Employment Pass or a Student's Pass to pursue full-time studies at a university in Singapore.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Jul 2016 3:36 am

Evidencing of de facto marriage used to be enough, I did it myself to get an LTVP several years back. We got married before that pass came up for renewal as I knew I was on borrowed time [as such].
I agree it's not comfortable or ideal to have visa requirements force your hand on making that big step [marriage]. But if it's right, and it's going to happen 'eventually' then just get on with it, it makes life so much simpler. The moment you internally do it acceptingly, 'with joy', even if earlier than planned, it will be a wonderful thing. Well, that's IME anyway :) Then you'll likely look back in later years and wonder what the reticence was all about...
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

MikeH22

Post by MikeH22 » Thu, 08 Dec 2016 1:42 am

Hi Karl

I was wondering what happened in the end (and any extra info you have found out) regarding the situation with your girlfriend getting a visa as I am in an almost identical situation now myself!

Thanks

Mike