Singapore Expats

Damsel in distress

Announcements, promotions, news, help. Ask about registrations, avatars, PM and others. Post all your forum and Singapore Expats site related questions here.
njscarrott

Damsel in distress

Post by njscarrott » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 4:15 am

Hi folks

I am hoping to relocate to Singapore and get a job in the field of education. I have over 25 years experience in education.I am trying to find like- minded individuals who have worked/are working in Singapore in the education arena. I have searched endlessly on Google and have come up with the conclusion that there is too much conflicting information and would seriously appreciate some real people to talk to or any other routes you would encourage me to try.

•I have worked in 3 secondary schools and held leadership responsibilities, senior leadership positions in these.
•Been an Education Consultant across the UK.
•Held Senior Lecturer posts in 3 Universities teaching both undergraduate and post graduate students. However, I only have an MA and Universities in Singapore all seem to demand a PhD.
•My current post is training undergraduate and post graduate students to become teachers where I am a Senior Lecturer.

I have spent some time looking at opportunities, to obtain work in schools, universities and education consultancy and any guidance would be greatly appreciated, no matter how small.

Thanking you in advance for your time.

Best wishes

Nicola Scarrott

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Damsel in distress

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 8:17 am

I can only help with information about High Schools. Sorry.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 2:26 pm

Hi I am interested in schools too so any help is appreciated please . Thank you .

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 2:41 pm

have you tried reaching out to some junior colleges and polytechnics and sending them your resume? I know of two people who initially started their teaching careers working on contracts and part time here in poly's and junior colleges before they ended up getting full time work.

unrelated :I dated a girl with that nick name ( damsel in distress) once, but later found out that we didn't have anything in common so we continued to date each other casually until we found someone else.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 3:05 pm

raj, isn't that commonly referred to as F*** Buddies? LOL
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 3:51 pm

I've made some posts on this before but International School Search (aka ISS) might be a place to start.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 5:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:raj, isn't that commonly referred to as F*** Buddies? LOL
You are such a blunt old man! Lol...
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 6:04 pm

Just call a spade a spade. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 6:14 pm

njscarrott wrote: I am hoping to relocate to Singapore and get a job in the field of education. I have over 25 years experience in education.I am trying to find like- minded individuals who have worked/are working in Singapore in the education arena. I have searched endlessly on Google and have come up with the conclusion that there is too much conflicting information and would seriously appreciate some real people to talk to or any other routes you would encourage me to try.
The bigger question would be, what would be your pressing need to move to Singapore.

As it is Education is a field that is being progressively localised, with a lot of locals being re-skilled.

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 6:19 pm

Dear Both
Thanks for you replies .
Do you have any contacts I could connect with who do teach as that would be really helpful .
That is a total coincidence you went out with a girl called Damsel in distress but I can confirm it was not me !

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 6:22 pm

Ok so if it is being localised do you now think that internationals like me are getting pushed out of the picture so it will be wry hard to get in?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 8:02 pm

njscarrott wrote:Ok so if it is being localised do you now think that internationals like me are getting pushed out of the picture so it will be wry hard to get in?
No offense, but if you meant "are internationals like me are getting pushed out, so it will be very hard to get in" .. the answer is YES.

As I said, progressively more and more Singaporeans are encouraged to take up teaching, and I know a few Ex-corporate type who took up teaching, fully paid by SG Ministry of Education.

Then again, I asked you why Singapore. Having some form of residency will open up doors in education line, not necessarily teaching though.

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 9:09 pm

Ok thank you.
So if my experience is in education , teaching and lecturing are there any other jobs you think I could do in Singapore?
Thanks again for your guidance .

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 9:16 pm

njscarrott wrote:Ok thank you.
So if my experience is in education , teaching and lecturing are there any other jobs you think I could do in Singapore?
Thanks again for your guidance .
Any other job ? As of now, I will say it is getting harder and harder.

Especially since MOM started matching past qualification / experience with the job description of the job applied for.

So again, why Singapore ? :)

njscarrott

Post by njscarrott » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 9:21 pm

Hi
What s MOM?
I want to come to Singapore from the Uk as the education system out there is highly regarded across the idle and it s a relatively safe place to live I understand . Also they were offering attractive packages for internationals .

Return to “Announcement, Help & FAQ”