Singapore Expats

Voltage Converter (Step-down)

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
henryshaw80

Voltage Converter (Step-down)

Post by henryshaw80 » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 2:46 pm

Hi guys/gals,
I have a North American appliances (i.e. Electric Pressure Cooker from Canada). It can only take 110 Voltage, 900 Watt. In Singapore, the Electric Power Supply is 220 V. So I need to buy Heavy-Duty (3000 W) Step-Down converter, which weight more than 20 Kg.

Does anybody has experiences with U.S. appliances in Singapore?

Any insights would be most welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Voltage Converter (Step-down)

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 2:55 pm

Yeah, lots. Most don't sell. For a reason. Best advice? If it has a US plug on the end of the cord, either put it in storage or better, sell it in a garage/yard sale before you come here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

henryshaw80

Post by henryshaw80 » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 3:13 pm

I live in Singapore and the American appliance is in my kitchen.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 4:32 pm

As it is a heating element type of affair, it is drawing heavy amperage(?). (I'm not an electrician - bookwise) To get a step down transformer which is sturdy enough to stand that kind of use, it would probably be cheaper to just replace the pressure cooker.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Instant-Pot-Pr ... B0073GIN08 SGD$247 delivered to Singapore.

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Home-Convert ... Sw9VZXOyDg SGD$269.63 delivered to Singapore (but Korean product).

Transformers (Asian ones at least) also have a bad habit of going poof in a flameout so if you are going to go that route make sure you have it located somewhere that will not go up in flames and a fire extinguisher would also be a good idea (with or without a transformer - to me all kitchens should have one near the door to the kitchen but that is another story).

Maybe Strong Eagle will drop in later this evening and be a bit more help as he's an Electrical Engineer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 4:58 pm

henryshaw80 wrote:Hi guys/gals,
I have a North American appliances (i.e. Electric Pressure Cooker from Canada). It can only take 110 Voltage, 900 Watt. In Singapore, the Electric Power Supply is 220 V. So I need to buy Heavy-Duty (3000 W) Step-Down converter, which weight more than 20 Kg.

You already know the answer ... step down converter needed.

I brought over only one item that required 110 V (small motor for a hobby lathe), went to sim lim tower (not square), took a look at the size of the step down converter and gave up on the idea of using the item. Those converters ain't pretty or small.

Get ready to open up your wallet for 220 V appliances. They can be costly here. I invested in Blentec blender (simiar to Vitamix) and they are 200% what it would cost in USA. Same thing with juicers. But after dropping 20+ pounds and feeling/looking more healthy, it was worth it :)

If you online shop from oversee, make sure you only buy items that can take variable voltages (110-220V) (like most laptops).

henryshaw80

Post by henryshaw80 » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 6:22 pm

Thank you all for your insights.
I believe I should just sell it back to U.S./Canada via Amazon. Btw, it is InstantPot cooker with 7-in-1 functions.
I am quite saddened that I cannot use the pressure cooker. I had been wanting to make myself baby back ribs.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 8:38 pm

Well... I make baby back ribs without a pressure cooker and they are mighty good... :D 8-) :cool:

However, a pressure cooker is a resistive load, which means you don't need to worry about more complicated computations for total current draw as you might with an electric motor. 900 watts at 110 volts is slightly more than 8 amps of current, not huge in the scheme of things.

The rule of thumb is to double the wattage requirement of the appliance when purchasing a transformer so that you are not running it at or near its maximum load.

Even a perfectly manufactured transformer will generate heat... it's the nature of the hysteresis loop. Therefore, I agree with SMS and others... if you go this route, buy a quality transformer. You buy one with a cheaply made core or poorly laid and insulated windings, or with wiring size insufficient for your proposed current draw, and you will have issues.

In the US you'd pay around $100 for a decent beast... probably in the S$250 range if I recall prices at Sim Lim Tower correctly.

If your cooker has a timer, it won't work properly. US/Canada electrical frequency is 60Hz, Asia (and most of the rest of the world) is 50Hz.

I'd definitely stay away from electronic "choppers", the electronic switches that produce 110 volts by chopping a section out of a 220 volt sine wave. It's not that they won't work with a resistive load but that they're usually cheaply made, and it is hard to find electronic components that could handle your current load.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 9:48 pm

If you have two could series them together. Or use a resistive load similar to the crock pot (i.e. a number of light bulbs or a bar heater or oven). That's how we used to get around the problem in PNG when American missions donated 110VAC 60HZ appliances to a country that used 240VAC 50HZ. Of course the damn records always played at 5/6 of the speed they should have.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

maneo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by maneo » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 3:50 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Well... I make baby back ribs without a pressure cooker and they are mighty good... .
You could try a crock pot for this.
It might take a little longer, but the result should be quite tender.
Strong Eagle wrote:The rule of thumb is to double the wattage requirement of the appliance when purchasing a transformer so that you are not running it at or near its maximum load.
Agree.
A 3KW unit will give even more margin, but would be an unnecessary expense and much bulkier.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Transformers (Asian ones at least) also have a bad habit of going poof in a flameout so if you are going to go that route make sure you have it located somewhere that will not go up in flames and a fire extinguisher would also be a good idea (with or without a transformer - to me all kitchens should have one near the door to the kitchen but that is another story).
Strong Eagle wrote:Even a perfectly manufactured transformer will generate heat... it's the nature of the hysteresis loop. Therefore, I agree with SMS and others... if you go this route, buy a quality transformer.
You buy one with a cheaply made core or poorly laid and insulated windings, or with wiring size insufficient for your proposed current draw, and you will have issues.

In the US you'd pay around $100 for a decent beast... probably in the S$250 range if I recall prices at Sim Lim Tower correctly.
I came over with 2 step-down transformers (~ 20 years ago).
Neither lasted more than 6 months.
Luckily only a little smoke (no flame) in both cases.
Strong Eagle wrote:If your cooker has a timer, it won't work properly. US/Canada electrical frequency is 60Hz, Asia (and most of the rest of the world) is 50Hz.
If some of those 7 functions involve a timer that uses the line frequency, you will have to correct for the frequency difference - to avoid overcooking reduce cooking times by 17% (or multiply by 0.83, i.e. = 5/6).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 6:05 pm

henryshaw80 wrote:Hi guys/gals,

if you buy a heavy convertor, the shipping cost will be too high.

Solution, go to Sim Lim Tower, go up the escalator, and as you turn to your right, there is a shop that has off the shelf convertors for higher amps.

Though, there are a lot more shops in that building, who will custom make convertors.
PNGMK wrote:.. when American missions donated 110VAC 60HZ appliances to a country that used 240VAC 50HZ
Well, it's the thought that counts .. I guess ..

subhasg

Post by subhasg » Fri, 12 Aug 2016 10:37 am

Welome to SG .
I was just googling for Voltage convertor for instant POT 7 in 1 usabe in SG and found your posts. iam not sure whether you got the answer.

My sis gifted me 7 in 1 instant pot and my parents are bringing it to SG soon.
she had sent it without realising the voltage issues,

Here are my findings.

it many sites it says the actual product from USA is it's 120v. 60hz. 1000w. AC only.( need to verify frm the actual PRoduct )

As per my research transformer works

following are the evidences

USA instant pot FAQ confirms -
a) http://instantpot.com/faq/faq-before-yo ... stant-pot/
( scroll down last question)

b) http://list.qoo10.sg/item/INSTANT-POT-I ... tionAnswer
the seller who is selling here is importing from USA and asking teh customer to use the convertor.

c) http://list.qoo10.sg/item/SEVENSTAR-SAL ... dOptions=;

look at the link he is selling the transformer explaining the details .
it works for the following:

a)Voltage of your appliance must be between 110-120V and voltage of your power source must be 220/240V
b. Wattage of your appliance must be below 200W (preferably below 150W to have a buffer)
c. Check with manufacturer if voltage converter can be used with your appliance

Since i dont have the product details iam unable to check it.

Let me know whether you got any transformer and started using in SG.
Where did you get the transformer ( if you have already )

I was informed that SIM LIM Tower shops will have ( not SIM LIM SQUARE) it.

Thanks and based on your advise let me as well go ahead and act on it.

BTW i had used such transformers for medela Breast pump machine few years bak and it worked fine.

thanks .

Elington

Post by Elington » Tue, 13 Sep 2016 11:05 am

Depending on your term of stay in Singapore would probably be a decisive factor on whether you actually need the transformer.

For a longer period of at least 2 years estimated, I would recommend that you change your appliances to the local ones since I have personally tried good and bad quality transformers, while appliances may be expensive here compared to the imported ones.

Problems faced personally:
- USA Kitchen Aid, it was expensive when the transformer failed..
- The effect of loss of efficiency through multiple steps doesn't justify the extra bills I pay per month for it
- Warranty issues I get when parts do spoil since not all parts are locally replaceable or source-able
- Not all parts purchased from overseas are cheap to ship in

If you want to help, post on the open board so all can benefit. Otherwise, it looks like you are soliciting or you are working on commission with some retailer or are a retailer yourself. When we find those types they are summarily banned. - Moderator

aya6483

Post by aya6483 » Tue, 06 Dec 2016 5:25 pm

You can choose a voltage converter with the plug fit for your wall socket, and has two or three sockets on panel. Maybe you will buy another appliance from U.S. and then you can use the voltage converter for both two appliances :) There's a new automatic voltage converter on <spamming website removed> you may be interested in it.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 7:36 am

Mods - arsehole above is advertising some sleazy product.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 07 Dec 2016 9:01 am

PNGMK wrote:Mods - arsehole above is advertising some sleazy product.
Not any more. You are correct... not a single contact entry anywhere on that website.