Singapore Expats

PR Renewal - REP Process - Spouse of SG Citizen

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mskishor

PR Renewal - REP Process - Spouse of SG Citizen

Post by mskishor » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 1:27 pm

Hi,

I got PR through my SG citizen wife.

After few months of PR itself, we moved to USA for work and she is not working anymore. She is housewife in USA. Eventually we will come to Singapore after some years.

Now i need to renew my PR. Is it possible to renew the PR when both husband and wife is not working in SG.

Regards
MSK

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: PR Renewal - REP Process - Spouse of SG Citizen

Post by BBCWatcher » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 1:53 pm

To be precise, it's time to renew your Re-Entry Permit. If your REP renewal is not approved, and if you are outside Singapore without a valid REP, your PR status ends.

From your description the chances of REP renewal seem low. You can try, but don't be surprised if your REP renewal is denied. Use eREP to lodge a renewal application online if you can, or, if not, you can apply for a REP renewal through the Singaporean embassy or consulate serving your place of residence in the U.S. (Singapore has three diplomatic posts in the United States: Washington, New York, and San Francisco.) In your REP renewal is rejected, you have two options:

1. Let your PR status end. Apply for PR again (and a LTVP) when you and your wife want to move back to Singapore. The odds of LTVP approval are higher than the odds of PR approval, but there are no guarantees of either.

2. Return to Singapore before your REP expires, and remain within Singapore unless and until you can obtain a new REP. Your wife is not required (by Singapore) to accompany you.

Please note that since November 1, 2015, it is not free to maintain Singapore PR status (or Singapore citizenship for that matter). MediShield Life premiums are now deducted from your CPF account -- or, if you have insufficient funds in your CPF account, billed to you separately.

mskishor

Post by mskishor » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks for the reply BBCWatcher..

I am thinking to Return Singapore and apply for lodge eRep. But the point is, will they ask SG Salary certificates & tax returns ? which both me and wife don't have.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 2:42 pm

IF you are in Singapore, and you got your PR via Family Ties, I don't think you need to prove salary, etc. However, if you are without Singapore and you let your REP expire, then you will lose your PR. You need to return to Singapore and wait till you can apply for your REP renewal and remain here until it is granted. Or as BBCW noted, give up your PR until such time as you all want to return to Singapore. Getting the LTVP will be easy and I suspect as long as you have left your CPF intact, regaining PR will also be easy under the Family ties scheme as long as your wife can prove ability to support you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 6:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:IF you are in Singapore, and you got your PR via Family Ties, I don't think you need to prove salary, etc. However, if you are without Singapore and you let your REP expire, then you will lose your PR. You need to return to Singapore and wait till you can apply for your REP renewal and remain here until it is granted. Or as BBCW noted, give up your PR until such time as you all want to return to Singapore. Getting the LTVP will be easy and I suspect as long as you have left your CPF intact, regaining PR will also be easy under the Family ties scheme as long as your wife can prove ability to support you.
SMS I have successfully renewed REP while overseas without returning to Singapore (I did it in Shanghai in 1998). I believe I am under family ties scheme. In this scheme what seems to matter is that you can support yourself wherever you are and obviously have some intention of returning. PTS of course is a whole different scheme.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 7:22 pm

PNGMK wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:IF you are in Singapore, and you got your PR via Family Ties, I don't think you need to prove salary, etc. However, if you are without Singapore and you let your REP expire, then you will lose your PR. You need to return to Singapore and wait till you can apply for your REP renewal and remain here until it is granted. Or as BBCW noted, give up your PR until such time as you all want to return to Singapore. Getting the LTVP will be easy and I suspect as long as you have left your CPF intact, regaining PR will also be easy under the Family ties scheme as long as your wife can prove ability to support you.
SMS I have successfully renewed REP while overseas without returning to Singapore (I did it in Shanghai in 1998). I believe I am under family ties scheme. In this scheme what seems to matter is that you can support yourself wherever you are and obviously have some intention of returning. PTS of course is a whole different scheme.

I think what SMS is saying about the REP renewal ,if the OP lets it to expire.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 11:37 pm

No, singaporeflyer, PNGMK read it correctly. He is saying he renewed his successfully while still overseas via the mission in Shanghai. Of course that was a long, long time ago, so like most thing ICA, they tend to get modified/fine tuned along the way. Whether it's still possible is anybody's guess, but as we are both on Family Ties, it does make sense if it appears our intent is still to return (say owning property here - maybe your residence but letting it out while you are overseas). But we both agree on the PTS being a different kettle of fish altogether.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Vue 8 Residence Complete Residential Amenities with International Institutions

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 15 Jul 2016 8:47 pm

alex125 wrote:Vue 8 residence gives you full condominium facilities and more. Equipped with 5 fitness stations, a 13th storey Sky Terrace and 2 Gymnasiums, our family friendly amenities ensure there’s something for everyone.

Established International Schools have taken root in Eastern Singapore, such as the nearby Overseas Family School, United World College of South East Asia and Japanese School, guaranteeing high rental demand and healthy resale values.
Do you think they will change Pasir Ris to Paris Ris???

Its becoming very atas , what do you think?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: Vue 8 Residence Complete Residential Amenities with International Institutions

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 16 Jul 2016 12:02 pm

Barnsley wrote:
alex125 wrote:Vue 8 residence gives you full condominium facilities and more. Equipped with 5 fitness stations, a 13th storey Sky Terrace and 2 Gymnasiums, our family friendly amenities ensure there’s something for everyone.

Established International Schools have taken root in Eastern Singapore, such as the nearby Overseas Family School, United World College of South East Asia and Japanese School, guaranteeing high rental demand and healthy resale values.
Do you think they will change Pasir Ris to Paris Ris???

Its becoming very atas , what do you think?
During my 1st few days in SG, I just couldn't get Pasir Ris right, I would call it Paris Sir.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

z3nn

Post by z3nn » Sun, 26 Jan 2020 5:36 am

Hi MSK.

May I know what's the outcome of your application back in 2012? I'm in a similar situation now and wondering if you can share your experience.

Thank you!

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 26 Jan 2020 12:09 pm

z3nn wrote:
Sun, 26 Jan 2020 5:36 am
Hi MSK.

May I know what's the outcome of your application back in 2012? I'm in a similar situation now and wondering if you can share your experience.

Thank you!
Things have changed a lot between 2012 and 2020. What was applicable then would no longer be applicable now