Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Airlines Number 3 Airline!!

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Singapore Airlines Number 3 Airline!!

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:05 pm

Heads surely gonna roll!!!

Its been voted number 3 airline behind Emirates and QATAR airlines.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

bgd
Editor
Editor

Re: Singapore Airlines Number 3 Airline!!

Postby bgd » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 12:50 pm

I haven't tried the other two but I would tend to agree that SIA isn't what it once was. I'm a regular on one route and their aircraft are tired and the entertainment system unreliable. But the service is always good, food reasonable so I continue to fly SIA. The fact they are the only one serving this route is also a factor. ;-)

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 2:07 pm

I don't think SIA can compete with the likes of Qatar or Emirates because of oil prices, arab money,location, but i would continue to prefer SIA over Qatar or Emirates as i have grown comfortable with them over the years.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 3:01 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I don't think SIA can compete with the likes of Qatar or Emirates because of oil prices, arab money,location, but i would continue to prefer SIA over Qatar or Emirates as i have grown comfortable with them over the years.

Emirates is best for the trip I make the most these days to UK , its 1K+ dollars cheaper most pf the time and the flight times are best for me.

Also the plane back from Dubai to Singapore is empty so its a nice place for a sleep if needed.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 5:25 pm

MrsJR8 just returned from a trip to SG on Qatar and she's wowed by them. [That's in the context of her having flown that route bizz-class on SQ, Emirates, BA, LH etc on previous occasions]. Some of the unexpected extras she got remind me of what it was like in the early days of Virgin's 'Upper-Class'. I.e. they completely redefined the air-travel experience vs their peers at that time, forcing the latter to play catch-up.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular

Postby Bigjohn32819 » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 5:48 pm

FWIW ---

My kids (all adults) recently travelled amsterdam-doha-singapore on qatar ...

There was one aspect of the flight which clearly upset them ...

They said the meal portion (in economy) was so small that it would not satisfy the hunger of a 12 year old ... and they're not big eaters ... they did ask just for more bread, but were denied.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 6:07 pm

There's one thing that bothers me about sia, the classroom like atmosphere inside, the slightest bit of turbulence and there's warnings issued in 2 languages, stewards running around asking people to buckle up, aplogies for not serving beverages and so on.. One girl who is absolutely terrified of flying says she avoids Sia is precisely this reason, compare this to Virgin or quantas, there's a bit of bumpiness along the way no announcement or panic, stewards continue to serve food and drink.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Postby BBCWatcher » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 6:54 pm

A big difference between these airlines is that Singapore Airlines has 9 abreast seating in economy class on every one of their 777s, but Emirates has 10 abreast on all of theirs. Qatar Airways generally has 10 abreast too, although some of their 777s are 9 abreast. Emirates and Qatar also tend to pack in more seats on other types of aircraft.

I wish Singapore Airlines would market this quality difference more than they do.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 9:32 pm

Interesting. From my experience over last few years with Emirates and Qatar, flying with them SG - Europe, I was very disappointed with the service quality. For example, Emirates, on one flight, last row at the tail was occupied by some apparently Emirates crew members traveling home off duty. Behaving very noisy and while everybody had to wait very long for the meals or beverages these girls were served frequently even before business class. Never seen anything like this with any other airline.

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular

Postby Bigjohn32819 » Wed, 13 Jul 2016 9:34 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:There's one thing that bothers me about sia, the classroom like atmosphere inside

isn't that par for the course here?

think about it ...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:50 am

Bigjohn32819 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:There's one thing that bothers me about sia, the classroom like atmosphere inside

isn't that par for the course here?

think about it ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: absolutely!

However I must say despite this hiccup, they are still a thousand times better than Air France/KLM/Al Italia/Air India/

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular

Postby Bigjohn32819 » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:23 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: absolutely!

However I must say despite this hiccup, they are still a thousand times better than Air France/KLM/Al Italia/Air India/

oh no question about it ...

A team of wild horses couldn't drag me on to some of these airlines ... especially air india !!!

Good God !!!

If I was to run into one of their "air hostesses" on a dark night, I'd get a freaking coronary !!!

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 11:42 am

BBCWatcher wrote:A big difference between these airlines is that Singapore Airlines has 9 abreast seating in economy class on every one of their 777s, but Emirates has 10 abreast on all of theirs. Qatar Airways generally has 10 abreast too, although some of their 777s are 9 abreast. Emirates and Qatar also tend to pack in more seats on other types of aircraft.

I wish Singapore Airlines would market this quality difference more than they do.

=D> =D> =D> =D>

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 12:51 pm

Bigjohn32819 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: absolutely!

oh no question about it ...

A team of wild horses couldn't drag me on to some of these airlines ... especially air india !!!

Good God !!!

If I was to run into one of their "air hostesses" on a dark night, I'd get a freaking coronary !!!

if you are travelling to india, try Vistara if you are flying locally, they are a JV between Tata and Singapore Airlines, i think they are a cut about the rest.
I am keen to find out next time i go there.

Bigjohn32819
Regular
Regular

Postby Bigjohn32819 » Thu, 14 Jul 2016 2:16 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:if you are travelling to india, try Vistara if you are flying locally, they are a JV between Tata and Singapore Airlines, i think they are a cut about the rest.
I am keen to find out next time i go there.

yeah it's been up and running for a while ... and flies out of the international airport in Bombay ... something that stumps passengers flying it for the first time ...

as my wife found out at the last minute upon arriving at the domestic terminal ...