Singapore Expats

Visa requirements for driving into Malaysia

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Lostsoul

Visa requirements for driving into Malaysia

Post by Lostsoul » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 9:50 am

Hi all,

My spouse received her LTVP recently. She is from the PRC.

If I am to drive into Malaysia, can I check what will be any visa requirements? As we are driving in, there will be no need for a return ticket yes?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: Visa requirements for driving into Malaysia

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:35 am

Lostsoul wrote:My spouse received her LTVP recently. She is from the PRC.
OK. This part is important. I'm not sure what your nationality and status in Singapore is, but let's assume you're holding a Singapore passport. If otherwise, and if you want an unofficial visa assessment, please advise.
If I am to drive into Malaysia, can I check what will be any visa requirements? As we are driving in, there will be no need for a return ticket yes?
According to the Malaysian government's Web site your wife has two choices. She can either apply for a multi-entry visa ahead of time, free of charge, or she can try to obtain a 7 day single entry Visa on Arrival for US$100. If driving into Malaysia, and if you/she chooses the VOA option, you must drive into Malaysia via the Second Link into Johor. (Not via Woodlands.) Return can be via either link. No, you/she would not need a return ticket, but you both will need proof of adequate funds, as usual. Her proof of adequate funds means physically carrying at least US$1000 (or equivalent in Malaysian currency), in cash, if she's choosing the VOA option. (But not too much, because then a currency declaration would be required. US$1100 is fine for her, plus "normal" wallet cash and a credit card for you, for example.)

I recommend that she apply for a multi-entry visa ahead of time. This year (2016) at least it's free for Chinese nationals to obtain Malaysian visas, so why not? She would then be able to enter Malaysia at any checkpoint (you'd be able to drive in via Woodlands if you prefer that), stay longer, and visit repeatedly (but infrequently -- she cannot live in Malaysia with a short stay multi-entry visa) for the term of her visa. She would also have greater confidence that she'll be allowed entry, and she'll have much less paperwork to worry about at the border. It's also a bit dangerous to carry US$1000 (or more) in cash, as the VOA requires, and a normal visa only requires "adequate funds," not specifically that hefty wad of cash. The VOA option is OK in an urgent situation, I suppose, but since you're asking now then presumably she has enough time to obtain a proper visa. And you/she might as well save the US$100 and spend it on a nice dinner (or hotel room) instead.

Lostsoul

Re: Visa requirements for driving into Malaysia

Post by Lostsoul » Thu, 07 Jul 2016 11:23 am

BBCWatcher wrote:
Lostsoul wrote:My spouse received her LTVP recently. She is from the PRC.
OK. This part is important. I'm not sure what your nationality and status in Singapore is, but let's assume you're holding a Singapore passport. If otherwise, and if you want an unofficial visa assessment, please advise.
According to the Malaysian government's Web site your wife has two choices. She can either apply for a multi-entry visa ahead of time, free of charge, or she can try to obtain a 7 day single entry Visa on Arrival for US$100. If driving into Malaysia, and if you/she chooses the VOA option, you must drive into Malaysia via the Second Link into Johor. (Not via Woodlands.) Return can be via either link. No, you/she would not need a return ticket, but you both will need proof of adequate funds, as usual. Her proof of adequate funds means physically carrying at least US$1000 (or equivalent in Malaysian currency), in cash, if she's choosing the VOA option. (But not too much, because then a currency declaration would be required. US$1100 is fine for her, plus "normal" wallet cash and a credit card for you, for example.)

I recommend that she apply for a multi-entry visa ahead of time. This year (2016) at least it's free for Chinese nationals to obtain Malaysian visas, so why not? She would then be able to enter Malaysia at any checkpoint (you'd be able to drive in via Woodlands if you prefer that), stay longer, and visit repeatedly (but infrequently -- she cannot live in Malaysia with a short stay multi-entry visa) for the term of her visa. She would also have greater confidence that she'll be allowed entry, and she'll have much less paperwork to worry about at the border. It's also a bit dangerous to carry US$1000 (or more) in cash, as the VOA requires, and a normal visa only requires "adequate funds," not specifically that hefty wad of cash. The VOA option is OK in an urgent situation, I suppose, but since you're asking now then presumably she has enough time to obtain a proper visa. And you/she might as well save the US$100 and spend it on a nice dinner (or hotel room) instead.
Dear BBCWatcher,

Yes, I am a local!

Thanks for your very detailed response! :) I will check out how do I apply for the multiple-entry visa then!