Singapore Expats

LTVP for both my Mother and My Mother in Law

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pandaz83

LTVP for both my Mother and My Mother in Law

Post by pandaz83 » Sun, 26 Jun 2016 5:59 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this forum so please be gentle :) My Wife and I became a Singapore PRs late last year and we now have a child that is close to 2 months old. My net salary is slightly over SGD 7k while my wife is currently a housewife.

I would like to understand if there are any issues in apply for LTVA for both my Mum and my Mother in Law for the below reasons.

- My Mum is currently undergoing clinical trial in a Hospital in Singapore and she would like to obtain LTVA for the very purpose of being in SG for treatment. She is a Malaysian.

- I would like to get my Mother in law in Singapore to assist us in taking care of our Newborn child. She is from China.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again!!

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: LTVP for both my Mother and My Mother in Law

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 27 Jun 2016 1:35 pm

pandaz83 wrote:- My Mum is currently undergoing clinical trial in a Hospital in Singapore and she would like to obtain LTVA for the very purpose of being in SG for treatment. She is a Malaysian.
ICA allows STVPs with medical extensions in this situation. A LTVP is at least tougher to get for this purpose, especially if you're trying to obtain two LTVPs for two different parents.
- I would like to get my Mother in law in Singapore to assist us in taking care of our Newborn child. She is from China.
Assuming a STVP does not provide the length of stay permission you and your wife would like (up to 30 days generally), your wife would be the sponsor for her mother's LTVP. ICA provides details here.

pandaz83

Post by pandaz83 » Mon, 27 Jun 2016 9:54 pm

Thank you for your response! With regards to getting my Mother in law over, would it be easier (for approval) for my Wife to be employed in SG before applying LTVA for her ? Or can she apply LTVA for her mum when she starts looking for a job ?

Which would have better odds?

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 27 Jun 2016 10:49 pm

Yes, it's helpful if your wife has actual employment income to show. Of course that implies arranging (and paying for) infant care.

pandaz83

Post by pandaz83 » Wed, 29 Jun 2016 5:48 pm

Question on the STVPs with medical extension. Is it a multiple visit pass ? Or a single visit pass ?

Given that my mum is a Malaysian she can visit Singapore only during her medical appointment.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Thu, 30 Jun 2016 10:44 pm

ICA offers a medical treatment extension of a STVP.

How often would these medical appointments be, and for how long?

pandaz83

Post by pandaz83 » Fri, 01 Jul 2016 7:31 am

Medical appointment only last for an hour to at most 3 hours. There is a appointment with the hospital every 2 weeks .

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 01 Jul 2016 8:10 am

If she's just visiting for one day every two weeks then ordinary STVPs should be fine for that. She should check with ICA to confirm that, in principle at least, that travel pattern would be fine. I recommend that she always carry evidence of her medical appointments and her ties to Malaysia (residence, job, family, etc.), just in case ICA has any questions.