Page 1 of 1

AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 12:57 pm
by Waterbottletale
HI all,

We are non-PR from Australia, daughter sis her S-AEIS in 2/ 2016 April. She is pretty bright, she tops her current class in an International School but didn't get in? For those parents who got a placement in local school, please share your knowledge on how we get position ourselves better to get a place?

E.g.

Send kids to do AEIS tuition classes? IF so which one do you recommend and which one we should stay away from?

OR should one be totally put off the idea of getting a place in local school ? As MOE made such drastic changes in limiting their placements for international students.

In 2/2016, we saw thousands of students entering into expo hall to do the entrance exam. After getting the negative result without any explanation neither, we ask MOE how many placements are actually made for offer but they are not allowed to reveal such information. Then we start to ponder what if there were only 30 spots, 50 spots or let's make it more generous 100 spots, but they have already collected $600 AEIS application fee on all the rest of 1000 students ( some flown in form overseas). MAny parents have given such high hopes with this AEIS opportunity. I wonder how feasible is this opportunity. When I told my friend, he made a comment, " Education should be made free for all children. " When I heard this, I chuckled. It is a lucrative business after all.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 4:59 pm
by Arsenal_fan
Join the facebook group "singapore expats in local schools". They have some good info there. If I remember right there were a couple of kids getting in through AEIS.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 4:19 pm
by jmwhite
Waterbottletale wrote:HI all,

We are non-PR from Australia, daughter sis her S-AEIS in 2/ 2016 April. She is pretty bright, she tops her current class in an International School but didn't get in? For those parents who got a placement in local school, please share your knowledge on how we get position ourselves better to get a place?

E.g.

Send kids to do AEIS tuition classes? IF so which one do you recommend and which one we should stay away from?

OR should one be totally put off the idea of getting a place in local school ? As MOE made such drastic changes in limiting their placements for international students.

In 2/2016, we saw thousands of students entering into expo hall to do the entrance exam. After getting the negative result without any explanation neither, we ask MOE how many placements are actually made for offer but they are not allowed to reveal such information. Then we start to ponder what if there were only 30 spots, 50 spots or let's make it more generous 100 spots, but they have already collected $600 AEIS application fee on all the rest of 1000 students ( some flown in form overseas). MAny parents have given such high hopes with this AEIS opportunity. I wonder how feasible is this opportunity. When I told my friend, he made a comment, " Education should be made free for all children. " When I heard this, I chuckled. It is a lucrative business after all.
Would you consider International Schools instead? Just a suggestion.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 4:48 pm
by sundaymorningstaple
They may not be on a fully found expat package. Therefore going to the International School could be outside of their budget. This is what normally drives the schooling decision, unless, of course, they are looking towards the future and possible PR / SC.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 5:03 pm
by jmwhite
sundaymorningstaple wrote:They may not be on a fully found expat package. Therefore going to the International School could be outside of their budget. This is what normally drives the schooling decision, unless, of course, they are looking towards the future and possible PR / SC.
Agree. Stark difference on the costs involved between local and intl schools. But yes, International Schools are definitely an option that a lot of people look into.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 5:14 pm
by PNGMK
I know of Aussie kids who are going to Malboro in JB from Singapore every day. They're on the bus 3 hours a day. There lies your future OP. Essentially Singapore MOE has shut down the local system for expats as part of their wind down and consolidation of neighborhood schools into larger schools where they feel they can put more resources and have a better outcome for the students - have a look around - abandoned and moth balled local campus every where and trust me long time expats like me can point out another 6 sites in each neighborhood that are former schools. I was talking to a man today who is on the board of one of the local unis here - he's involved with bringing in the foreign uni programs into NTU/NUS etc - he said it was quite clear that Singapore is interested in being a tertiary education hub but not an primary/secondary education hub for political reasons and only allows expats to be educated in expat schools as needed. He forsaw a clamp down on the Chinese/Korean/Jap kids here with guardians in OFS/CIS/ICS etc (which might reduce fees as demand drops? - except the nigger/abo in the woodpile is that the leases on OFS/ICS and other older ones are expiring and the costs of new leases are non-viable.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Mon, 29 Aug 2016 5:19 pm
by PNGMK
For those wondering what the answer is; if your'e a required expat here for your employer you MUST negotiate education or education subsidy as part of your package or (as in the case of a senior exec where I am who just moved from Australia) accept that you need to pay a lot to educate your kids. The mentioned senior exec has 4 kids in AIS and did the math; he is better off here on a cash basis as the income tax rate is lower; even with a $110,000 pa bill (he probably earns around $500k).

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 12:35 am
by priyamohan
Im also a foreigner here for last 5 years.
I enrolled my daughter for both S-AEIS 2016 and AEIS 2016, but both attempts failed.
My family is really upset as we really want to get into local school and not preferring International School.
Is there any one who successfully passed AEIS?
Please provide inputs on preferred training institutes for AEIS.

Thanks.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:06 am
by Sensei Michael
I hate to have to say this, but many of us keep thinking that "more training" is going to help. The issue is not with how well the kid does in the AEIS, but how well the kid does relative to that cohort taking the exams! The MOE has a quota of kids for the local schools (unless you register at P1) depending on spaces available, and simply takes in the brightest kids in that cohort to fill up the quota.

You need to just keep trying again and again and hope that, for that cohort, your child is simply among the top few that cross that line.

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Sat, 24 Dec 2016 12:31 am
by OmoloevaLilia
Hi everyone. My daughter sat for AEIS in September this year. It was our first attempt and luckily it was successful. We got a place in the school which only 500 hundred meters away from our house. We are so happy. So I want to say that it is possible to get place. Just keep trying!

Re: AEIS placement, any one got in to local school in 2016?

Posted: Tue, 27 Dec 2016 9:08 am
by Sensei Michael
OmoloevaLilia wrote:Hi everyone. My daughter sat for AEIS in September this year. It was our first attempt and luckily it was successful. We got a place in the school which only 500 hundred meters away from our house. We are so happy. So I want to say that it is possible to get place. Just keep trying!
Congrats! Another 2 of my students also managed to get into local schools via AEIS. While I am going to miss having them in my school, it is great news for their parents and for them (since the local school is where they have always wanted to go to).