Singapore Expats

PR application supporting documents

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
belladonna

PR application supporting documents

Post by belladonna » Mon, 20 Jun 2016 2:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I posted some months ago regarding applying for PR as a dual citizen of the Philippines and UK. Thanks to the advice of posters here I've decided to keep things simple and will apply with my Phil. passport and just include my British one as part of supporting documents.
I've been getting all my papers ready in preparation for my appointment which is coming up soon, but I am a little confused by all the recommendations in older threads to include certain documents that are "off the list."

Would you advise including the following:
- insurance documents (not sure why this would be relevant, but some seem to think it useful?)
- short course certificates (not degree / diploma, but for courses taken in Singapore such as first aid training with the Red Cross or Chinese language courses?)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: PR application supporting documents

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 20 Jun 2016 4:02 pm

Just give them what they ask for (everything that they ask for). No need to submit any additional documents. If they want more, they will ask for them, of that you can be sure.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Mon, 20 Jun 2016 4:08 pm

belladonna wrote:Thanks to the advice of posters here I've decided to keep things simple and will apply with my Phil. passport and just include my British one as part of supporting documents.
It's not that you're applying as a citizen of one or the other. You're a citizen of both countries, and you provide that information in your PR application. If ICA wants to consider one or the other citizenship as "primary," for their purposes, that's up to them.

You have one nationality (of your choice, generally) marked on your ID card, but that's as far as it goes. A PR application is a different beast, with more cards on the table, including both your citizenships.
- insurance documents (not sure why this would be relevant, but some seem to think it useful?)
I don't see where ICA asks for such information, unless you mean evidence of professional training or professional accomplishments.
- short course certificates (not degree / diploma, but for courses taken in Singapore such as first aid training with the Red Cross or Chinese language courses?)
I agree with SMS. I wouldn't bother with the certificates themselves since ICA can easily verify practically anything in Singapore -- or ask you for the certificates later on if they want. But if you want to mention that sort of thing as a bullet point in the appropriate part of the application, that seems reasonable.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 20 Jun 2016 11:44 pm

BBCWatcher wrote:
belladonna wrote:Thanks to the advice of posters here I've decided to keep things simple and will apply with my Phil. passport and just include my British one as part of supporting documents.
It's not that you're applying as a citizen of one or the other. You're a citizen of both countries, and you provide that information in your PR application. If ICA wants to consider one or the other citizenship as "primary," for their purposes, that's up to them.

You have one nationality (of your choice, generally) marked on your ID card, but that's as far as it goes. A PR application is a different beast, with more cards on the table, including both your citizenships.
That's just false, BBCW. The PR form itself (4A) asks for only one passport number and that's at the bottom of page 1. Nowhere does it ask for additional nationalities or passport numbers, just the one on page 1. There are no spaces on the form for additional nationalities/passports.

If they ICA were interested in knowing if you had additional passports, they would have specifically asked for them. It's not like the ICA is the only organization in the world who has never heard of dual citizenship.

I have three nationalities and three passports. Only one went onto the PR form and I see no point in complicating the mix by including an addendum... oh, by the way, I'm also a citizen of X. What do you gain? You choose the passport you think will give you the best shot at gaining PR. I judge that multiple passports is a negative... even though after you get PR, it's easy to have a second passport stamped.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/data/resources/d ... AJan15.pdf

And belladonna, I think you have a tough call deciding which passport to use in applying for PR.

On the one hand, the UK passport has some "gravitas" given Singapore's history. OTOH, my sense is that ICA is being much more careful and circumspect in granting PR to European/US passports... people don't keep their PR permanently or become citizens.

Your PH passport has the advantage of being Asian and the disadvantage of being a PH passport where many people who come to Singapore wouldn't be classified as PMET. However, I recall reading some of your prior posts and based upon your descriptions of your work, I'd say that the PH passport is the correct call.

A tough choice.

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Post by BBCWatcher » Tue, 21 Jun 2016 9:47 am

OK, I stand corrected. However, there's no obstacle to providing both -- even on the form itself if you wish. Just label the entries "1." and "2." and create two lines. Or provide an attachment. It's up to, as you prefer.

belladonna

Post by belladonna » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:52 pm

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to post an update. I submitted my application to ICA this week using my PH passport as primary document (since that is linked to my employment pass). The officer asked me to write my UK passport details at the bottom page of my application too,though. So I suppose now all I can do is cross my fingers and wait.

Thank you all for the advice and I hope to update with some good news in the coming months.

belladonna

Post by belladonna » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 7:04 pm

Welp,

I just received my rejection letter in the post today :( Feeling a little heartbroken because I'm not sure what else I could do to prove my commitment to staying in Singapore and contributing to the country. I suppose it may be that I don't earn enough and perhaps don't have the ethnic background they are looking for. Nevertheless, would anyone have any advice regarding lodging any kind of appeal?

hkphooey

Post by hkphooey » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 7:39 pm

belladonna wrote:Welp,

I just received my rejection letter in the post today :( Feeling a little heartbroken because I'm not sure what else I could do to prove my commitment to staying in Singapore and contributing to the country. I suppose it may be that I don't earn enough and perhaps don't have the ethnic background they are looking for. Nevertheless, would anyone have any advice regarding lodging any kind of appeal?
Seems an easy decision to reject in such few short months.

How long have you been working in SG? Did you submit at least 3 years of Tax NOA?
Also, probably the race. Having both UK and PH passports may have some advantage (maybe very little), but if your race is not of their flavor, then chances are slim.

Not impossible though. Always worth a try and hope for the best.

belladonna

Post by belladonna » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 8:22 pm

hkphooey wrote:
belladonna wrote:Welp,

Seems an easy decision to reject in such few short months.

How long have you been working in SG? Did you submit at least 3 years of Tax NOA?
Also, probably the race. Having both UK and PH passports may have some advantage (maybe very little), but if your race is not of their flavor, then chances are slim.

Not impossible though. Always worth a try and hope for the best.
Yeah, I don't know if it means anything that it took them 3 months to process. :(

I've been living in SG for 8 years now, working at the same place for all that time (I'm a teacher.)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 9:40 pm

Eight years as a teacher here. Boy do you have stamina. They should give you PR just because you are not a quitter! Wait 2 years and reapply again. It took me a long time to get my PR way way back in the late '80's/early '90's. If you want it, persistence can certainly pay off in the long run.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

belladonna

Post by belladonna » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 9:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Eight years as a teacher here. Boy do you have stamina. They should give you PR just because you are not a quitter! Wait 2 years and reapply again. It took me a long time to get my PR way way back in the late '80's/early '90's. If you want it, persistence can certainly pay off in the long run.
I did wonder if I had waited too long to apply (this was my first-ever PR application.) My colleagues constantly tell me that it would have been easier to apply 8 years ago. I really do love it here and love what I do, so I hope to apply again. Would applying again in one year be too soon? I do hope that persistence will count for something in the long run. In the meantime, I just hope MOM keeps renewing my pass.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Nov 2016 10:10 pm

You can try in one year but I don't think I'd make it any shorter as then you start to look desperate. You last sentence is exactly what I'm talking about. Most start fearing for their EP not to get renewed and will apply a week after the rejection which just shows how desperate they are.

belladonna

Post by belladonna » Thu, 24 Nov 2016 12:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You can try in one year but I don't think I'd make it any shorter as then you start to look desperate. You last sentence is exactly what I'm talking about. Most start fearing for their EP not to get renewed and will apply a week after the rejection which just shows how desperate they are.
I'll definitely give it at least a year. I'm just a worrier in general, haha! :? I hope I can add more significant achievements/contributions to my application by then. I just thought this would be a good year to apply because I won an award at work.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by brian_singapore » Thu, 24 Nov 2016 1:02 pm

Strong Eagle wrote: That's just false, BBCW. The PR form itself (4A) asks for only one passport number and that's at the bottom of page 1. Nowhere does it ask for additional nationalities or passport numbers, just the one on page 1. There are no spaces on the form for additional nationalities/passports.

If they ICA were interested in knowing if you had additional passports, they would have specifically asked for them. It's not like the ICA is the only organization in the world who has never heard of dual citizenship.

A tough choice.
Actually ICA required me to write in my second passport and provide copies. I'm fairly sure I remember there being a question of whether you hold multiple nationalities. One of the questions on the application form is 'have you ever entered Singapore on a different passport' followed by the question 'if yes, please explain'. (I had entered on both my passports).

belladonna

Post by belladonna » Thu, 24 Nov 2016 1:19 pm

brian_singapore wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote: That's just false, BBCW. The PR form itself (4A) asks for only one passport number and that's at the bottom of page 1. Nowhere does it ask for additional nationalities or passport numbers, just the one on page 1. There are no spaces on the form for additional nationalities/passports.

A tough choice.
Actually ICA required me to write in my second passport and provide copies. I'm fairly sure I remember there being a question of whether you hold multiple nationalities. One of the questions on the application form is 'have you ever entered Singapore on a different passport' followed by the question 'if yes, please explain'. (I had entered on both my passports).
I had never entered Singapore on my U.K. passport but figured I should declare it anyway. I also listed my race as Eurasian, which is really how I identify myself. I suppose that doesn't make a whole lot of difference but I didn't think it would hurt.

Better luck next time, I hope