Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Property Search

 

Money Minded of House Owner

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ColeHii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 17 Jun 2016

Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ColeHii » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:07 pm

I rented a room at 5A, Upper Boon Keng Road.

House owner is a married couple aged around 50-60 years old with no child.
When we go view the room, they stated that:
1) Washing cloth / 3 time per week
2) Bathroom or toilet / Only for tenant, they will clean the toilet.
3) Air Conditional / Switch on whenever you reach home.
4) No hot food allowed inside room / eat on the table provided in living room.

After second month we stay in,
1) Washing cloth / 2 per week / no washing cloth after 10pm cause people will complain.
2) Toilet / shared with house owner, tenant clean it
3) Air Conditional / Early stage 8pm-6am , now 11pm-6am
4) No more table provided in living room, only eat outside the house.
5) Heater only allow to switch on for 10 minutes
6) switch off wifi after 10pm

What they do
1) Switch on TV early morning 8am till night 11am
2) Switch on light in kitchen, bed room and living room even they are watch tv in living room
3) Open our room and spot check without notice
4) Smoke
5) Bring back work and do it during weekend.

Currently they clammed electrical and water bill is too expensive.
They ask us to pay extra S20 because utility bill exceed S140.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:51 pm

ColeHii wrote:I rented a room at 5A, Upper Boon Keng Road.

House owner is a married couple aged around 50-60 years old with no child.
When we go view the room, they stated that:
1) Washing cloth / 3 time per week
2) Bathroom or toilet / Only for tenant, they will clean the toilet.
3) Air Conditional / Switch on whenever you reach home.
4) No hot food allowed inside room / eat on the table provided in living room.

After second month we stay in,
1) Washing cloth / 2 per week / no washing cloth after 10pm cause people will complain.
2) Toilet / shared with house owner, tenant clean it
3) Air Conditional / Early stage 8pm-6am , now 11pm-6am
4) No more table provided in living room, only eat outside the house.
5) Heater only allow to switch on for 10 minutes
6) switch off wifi after 10pm

What they do
1) Switch on TV early morning 8am till night 11am
2) Switch on light in kitchen, bed room and living room even they are watch tv in living room
3) Open our room and spot check without notice
4) Smoke
5) Bring back work and do it during weekend.

Currently they clammed electrical and water bill is too expensive.
They ask us to pay extra S20 because utility bill exceed S140.

May sound silly.. but I would not have ignored the warning signs ...

What can you do now ? Find another place and more .. than fight over 20$

ColeHii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 17 Jun 2016

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ColeHii » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 1:04 pm

Yea ecureilx, they dont even dare to face to me when they received $20 from me.
No choice. Have to endure two month more to end the contract.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby taxico » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 1:06 pm

how many months is your contract?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ColeHii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 17 Jun 2016

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ColeHii » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 1:09 pm

Taxico, 1 years S800 per month

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6183
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:30 pm

It sucks I know but you made a mistake by even giving in one inch at the beginnging.

"Hallo - you now cannot use table".

"Unker - our contract says table. I will not pay rent if no table. You want me to have SCT summons on you or what?"

"Grumble grumble blary foreign trash... ok you have table".

I basically hate with a passion these clowns.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

ColeHii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 17 Jun 2016

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ColeHii » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:39 pm

PNGMK,
Wow, i gonna learn from you. Get SCT summons on them.
But i have only contract form given by agent. im not sure its legal to get SCT summons on them.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:45 pm

ColeHii wrote:PNGMK,
Wow, i gonna learn from you. Get SCT summons on them.
But i have only contract form given by agent. im not sure its legal to get SCT summons on them.


So how will you go to SCT ? :D

No, honestly, when then landlord says washing 3 times .. etc, it's all warning signs.

Not blaming them but a lot of landlords are living on a shoe string and scared of damages, I know a couple of guys whose landlords switched off all appliances when the tenant went to work, as the landlord feared about electrical fires and such.

And by the way, what the landlord does in his house is NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Do they bring work home ? too bad, it's their house.

As I said, wait for the contract to finish and get out. Or even better, pay off the penalty in the contract and move, if you can't put up with their attitude and their house.

PS, I don't sympathise with landlords like what you describe but it's what you describe seems to be a bit of drama from your.

ColeHii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 17 Jun 2016

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ColeHii » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:
ColeHii wrote:PNGMK,
Wow, i gonna learn from you. Get SCT summons on them.
But i have only contract form given by agent. im not sure its legal to get SCT summons on them.


So how will you go to SCT ? :D

No, honestly, when then landlord says washing 3 times .. etc, it's all warning signs.

Not blaming them but a lot of landlords are living on a shoe string and scared of damages, I know a couple of guys whose landlords switched off all appliances when the tenant went to work, as the landlord feared about electrical fires and such.

And by the way, what the landlord does in his house is NOT YOUR PROBLEM. Do they bring work home ? too bad, it's their house.

As I said, wait for the contract to finish and get out. Or even better, pay off the penalty in the contract and move, if you can't put up with their attitude and their house.

PS, I don't sympathise with landlords like what you describe but it's what you describe seems to be a bit of drama from your.


LOL? I'm not trying to get any drama here. and ya i pay that $20 without question much as this is their house. I'm just asking for opinion and not asking you to sympathise with the landlords.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:58 pm

ColeHii wrote:LOL? I'm not trying to get any drama here. and ya i pay that $20 without question much as this is their house. I'm just asking for opinion and not asking you to sympathise with the landlords.


Opinion ? Move after the contract ends.

Nothing much you can do .. though I would love to hear from PNGMK how SCT will work in this case ;)

ColeHii
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 17 Jun 2016

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ColeHii » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 3:00 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Opinion ? Move after the contract ends.

Nothing much you can do .. though I would love to hear from PNGMK how SCT will work in this case ;)


Haha, i agreed what you just said.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6183
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 3:11 pm

ColeHii wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Opinion ? Move after the contract ends.

Nothing much you can do .. though I would love to hear from PNGMK how SCT will work in this case ;)


Haha, i agreed what you just said.


Easy. Breach of contract and/or verbal agreement. Request magistrate to remind LL to stick to contract. No damaged necessary. However in general like all things it's a matter of how loud the dog barks; not how sharp his teeth are.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6183
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 3:15 pm

Look OP. The minute they set up gallows along Towner Road for LL like yours I'll be volunteering to pull the lever (when I'm not busy pulling the lever on Indian debtors in front of Changi Airport and manning the shooting team for Spa Operators on Lavender St). However it's ATTITUDE that counts. Don't be a soft pushover. (the gallows is gallow sarcasm obviously).
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9370
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby x9200 » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 3:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:It sucks I know but you made a mistake by even giving in one inch at the beginnging.

"Hallo - you now cannot use table".

"Unker - our contract says table. I will not pay rent if no table. You want me to have SCT summons on you or what?"

"Grumble grumble blary foreign trash... ok you have table".

I basically hate with a passion these clowns.

No, nil,
huh? contract? show me.

I bet there is nothing in the contract.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Money Minded of House Owner

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 3:43 pm

x9200 wrote:No, nil,
huh? contract? show me.

I bet there is nothing in the contract.


it will turn into a personal squabble ..

Now ..

After second month we stay in,
1) Washing cloth / 2 per week / no washing cloth after 10pm cause people will complain.
2) Toilet / shared with house owner, tenant clean it
3) Air Conditional / Early stage 8pm-6am , now 11pm-6am
4) No more table provided in living room, only eat outside the house.
5) Heater only allow to switch on for 10 minutes
6) switch off wifi after 10pm


So what's the question again ? Did the landlord throw them out or ask them to stay out or .. and is any of the above in the contract ? Or otherwise ?

What they do
1) Switch on TV early morning 8am till night 11am
2) Switch on light in kitchen, bed room and living room even they are watch tv in living room
3) Open our room and spot check without notice
4) Smoke
5) Bring back work and do it during weekend.


And what's the tenants' problem again ? :)

Living as a tenant with a landlord is about give and take. If there is no love, no point fighting over it. And if you fight, don't forget, you gonna go back and sleep there.

My 2 cents says, suck it up and when the contract finishes, move. Now go to SCT if the landlord refuses to return the deposit, after you leave.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests