Page 1 of 2

Dependent PR & National Service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:31 am
by dustfall
Hi all,

just wonder if anyone has heard of dependent pr(sponsored by wife) to be called for FULL-TIME national service?

My husband went to cmpb for medical check several days back. He has 2-years working experience and a local master degree. He is 26 only.

Anyone has any suggestion for this? Just like other families, we cannot afford a 2-yr service with low pay. :cry:

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:45 am
by PNGMK
No your husband will not have to serve. He is a first gen PR and not son of PR (that's pretty much the only PR category that has to serve; i.e PR's who are son of PR).

(Note: I do agree it's a bid odd he was called in for a medical by CMPB).

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:50 am
by x9200
PNGMK wrote:No your husband will not have to serve. He is a first gen PR and not son of PR (that's pretty much the only PR category that has to serve; i.e PR's who are son of PR).

Are you sure? He is not the main applicant.

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:57 am
by dustfall
When my husband register online, there is no letter stating he is exempt from ns. My concern is, will he be called for the army just because he is young? I guess he may be asked to join the 2 week camp training only and this is what we hope for.

Re: RE: Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 11:05 am
by ecureilx
dustfall wrote:When my husband register online, there is no letter stating he is exempt from ns. My concern is, will he be called for the army just because he is young? I guess he may be asked to join the 2 week camp training only and this is what we hope for.

If my guess is right, he may be asked to go for Volunteer force training... there's news the government has been toying with the idea .... all of that will add points when he decides to go for SC ...

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 11:08 am
by x9200
According to the guidelines on the ICA www, only the main applicants are exempted. The examples that follow are about the children only but I think the first part of the statement is pretty conclusive. Whether they are going to take him, I don't know, but as of the said guidelines he doesn't seem to be exempted.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151
"Main applicants who are granted PR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. "

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 11:10 am
by dustfall
Yes I agreed with you. He is not exempted. But we never expect that he may be required to do a full time service. :shock:

x9200 wrote:According to the guidelines on the ICA www, only the main applicants are exempted. The examples that follow are about the children only but I think the first part of the statement is pretty conclusive. Whether they are going to take him, I don't know, but as of the said guidelines he doesn't seem to be exempted.

https://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=151
"Main applicants who are granted PR status under the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme or the Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. "

Re: RE: Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 11:14 am
by dustfall
Is it a two-week training? I've checked the website, it sounds not bad. We just cannot afford 2-year ns.

ecureilx wrote:
dustfall wrote:When my husband register online, there is no letter stating he is exempt from ns. My concern is, will he be called for the army just because he is young? I guess he may be asked to join the 2 week camp training only and this is what we hope for.

If my guess is right, he may be asked to go for Volunteer force training... there's news the government has been toying with the idea .... all of that will add points when he decides to go for SC ...

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:29 pm
by PNGMK
Well this is certainly interesting and unexpected. Do keep us updated Dustfall.

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:31 pm
by dustfall
It seems no one has such experience. LOL

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:35 pm
by PNGMK
To be fair I think this a fairly recent change. To date AFAIK no first gen PR has ever been called up for NS.

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:50 pm
by ecureilx
PNGMK wrote:To be fair I think this a fairly recent change. To date AFAIK no first gen PR has ever been called up for NS.


The government has been talking about voluntary NS for PRs and some folks have gone through it, including an MP who became SC.

Not sure how far they will push it, though it will be limited to 6 months or so of weekend warrior training. I won't be surprised, based on their trials, they may decide to start enforcing it soon.

Well, a few extra hands for manning ambulances, fire engines and such won't hurt.

Though the locals, as always, are not happy giving foreigners access to sensitive stuff, yes, the same locals who been whining about foreigners not doing NS.

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 2:59 pm
by x9200
I always thought by the nature of application under the PTS is that the scheme is only for the main applicant. If somebody is included, it is included based on the family ties, not PTS.

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 3:18 pm
by dustfall
Recently I heard that once people are required to do medical check, they definitely need to go for full service.

Is that true?


x9200 wrote:I always thought by the nature of application under the PTS is that the scheme is only for the main applicant. If somebody is included, it is included based on the family ties, not PTS.

Re: dpr&national service

Posted: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 3:47 pm
by PNGMK
dustfall wrote:Recently I heard that once people are required to do medical check, they definitely need to go for full service.

Is that true?


x9200 wrote:I always thought by the nature of application under the PTS is that the scheme is only for the main applicant. If somebody is included, it is included based on the family ties, not PTS.


No one here knows I suspect. Stop worrying. They just want to see if your husband can be put on a back up list as cannon fodder is all.