Singapore Expats

Dependent PR & National Service

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
dustfall

Re: dpr&national service

Post by dustfall » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 4:42 pm

PNGMK wrote:
dustfall wrote:Recently I heard that once people are required to do medical check, they definitely need to go for full service.

Is that true?

x9200 wrote:I always thought by the nature of application under the PTS is that the scheme is only for the main applicant. If somebody is included, it is included based on the family ties, not PTS.
No one here knows I suspect. Stop worrying. They just want to see if your husband can be put on a back up list as cannon fodder is all.
Thank you. I hope so. Just now I drop a call to cmpb, the officer said if my husband is liable to NS, it means he must go to NS. We have to wait for the medical check report and letter if any.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 4:44 pm

They're not going to exempt because his wife asked......
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

dustfall

Post by dustfall » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 6:29 pm

8-[

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:06 pm

Oh for goodness's sakes woman. The CMPB always say that.... they cannot say "not liable" on the phone otherwise every parent will ring them. When I apply for PR I had to go report ... a few weeks later letter of exemption showed up.

dustfall

Post by dustfall » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:08 pm

PNGMK wrote:Oh for goodness's sakes woman. The CMPB always say that.... they cannot say "not liable" on the phone otherwise every parent will ring them. When I apply for PR I had to go report ... a few weeks later letter of exemption showed up.
are u DPR?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Jun 2016 10:32 pm

No, but I am. However I was exempted because I was already 40+ when I got PR on the Family ties scheme. :-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 18 Jun 2016 12:17 am

dustfall wrote:
PNGMK wrote:Oh for goodness's sakes woman. The CMPB always say that.... they cannot say "not liable" on the phone otherwise every parent will ring them. When I apply for PR I had to go report ... a few weeks later letter of exemption showed up.
are u DPR?
When I applied there was no such thing as DPR or PTS. Just PR. I was also about your husband's age. Cheer up. He'll look good in a uniform and he can still come home every weekend and even practice shooting at home.

kernowking

Post by kernowking » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 9:11 am

Hi dustfall.
What was the outcome of this? I am currently going through the same situation. I am 29 years old and the application states I "maybe liable to national service".

I would love to now what happened to your husband.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:25 am

kernowking wrote:Hi dustfall.
What was the outcome of this? I am currently going through the same situation. I am 29 years old and the application states I "maybe liable to national service".

If the other person was asked to go for NS, what will your recourse be ? :D

Stressing about something you have no control over, and knowing that's not gonna happen (being called for NS) based on anecdote - why FRET ???????

kernowking

Post by kernowking » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:36 am

ecureilx wrote:

Stressing about something you have no control over, and knowing that's not gonna happen (being called for NS) based on anecdote - why FRET ???????
If they where asked to go for NS I would be able to plan for a call up if required. I would need to get my finances in order to ensure my wife and baby boy where taken care of.

You are right. Anecdotally there seems it seems people get asked to resister and take the medical then are given a letter to say they are not required to serve at the moment. Most of these people on the forums appear to be well into there 30s and 40s. As I'm in my late 20s I maybe viewed differently.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 1:55 pm

kernowking wrote: If they where asked to go for NS I would be able to plan for a call up if required. I would need to get my finances in order to ensure my wife and baby boy where taken care of.

You are right. Anecdotally there seems it seems people get asked to resister and take the medical then are given a letter to say they are not required to serve at the moment. Most of these people on the forums appear to be well into there 30s and 40s. As I'm in my late 20s I maybe viewed differently.
You are missing the point, the whole point.

There is a 1 in 100,000 chance you may be called, so

a) prepare for the eventuality
or
b) Withdraw the application

and in the meantime,

c) Stop worry about it, since you can't predict the future.

PS, anecdotally, never knew of anybody who had to take medical and then were told no need to serve, unless they were exempt under Section 302

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 4:53 pm

kernowking wrote:
ecureilx wrote:

If they where asked to go for NS I would be able to plan for a call up if required. I would need to get my finances in order to ensure my wife and baby boy where taken care of.

So where is your commitment to the country you wish to become a permanent resident of?

:-k
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 5:22 pm

Barnsley wrote:So where is your commitment to the country you wish to become a permanent resident of?

To be fair, he is a 29 year old husband and father with a family to take care of. The kind of salary he will get while doing NS will not be enough for him to take care of his responsibilities. He has a right to be concerned.

To kernowking, I'm pretty sure that your family situation would be fairly considered by the powers that be when they are evaluating whether they really need you to fulfil your family obligations.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 5:29 pm

Addadude wrote:
Barnsley wrote:So where is your commitment to the country you wish to become a permanent resident of?

To be fair, he is a 29 year old husband and father with a family to take care of. The kind of salary he will get while doing NS will not be enough for him to take care of his responsibilities. He has a right to be concerned.

To kernowking, I'm pretty sure that your family situation would be fairly considered by the powers that be when they are evaluating whether they really need you to fulfil your family obligations.
You are going on the path to Citizenship, not changing jobs. :o

Ask not what your new country can do for you , but what you can do for your new country.

If something like this could put you off getting on that road then clearly your motives for application are somewhat dubious.

Just my opinion.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 18 Jul 2017 5:57 pm

Barnsley wrote: You are going on the path to Citizenship, not changing jobs. :o

Ask not what your new country can do for you , but what you can do for your new country.

If something like this could put you off getting on that road then clearly your motives for application are somewhat dubious.

Just my opinion.
No wonder ICA is giving out PR to those who are committed ZERO to the country while rejecting those who are 1000% willing to be firmly anchored.

PR - not path for SC (wild shot) for this candidate :) Though that's a bridge to cross in the future, not now