Singapore Expats Forum

Employment/Workpass likelihood

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

rje
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 15 Jun 2016

Employment/Workpass likelihood

Postby rje » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 9:59 am

Hello, I wanted to reach out to this forum to see if anyone can help me with some insight on my likelihood of finding employment as an expat in Singapore after I describe my experience and qualifications. Hope it isnt to much info. Just wanted to describe as much as necessary so I might get some decent answers.

So, to start, I would like to relocate to Singapore to work in Public Health, or Healthcare administration. Would like to know how open these fields are to expats.

I am a U.S. citizen by birth. 28 years old. Mothers side of the Family is from The Philippines, but immigrated decades ago to The States, and I was born here. Apparently in Singapore, the term to describe me is "Eurasian." Not sure how much my cultural background as an Asian-American factors into anything in Singapore. Just thought i'd let it be known. I speak fluent American English, Basic Tagalog(Filipino) and Basic Mandarin(from College).

I have 4 years experience working as a Pharmacy B-Technician in retail Pharmacy, two years as a Nursing Assistant-Certified, and from late 2015-current, I have been working as a Patient Care Technician (Running various test's and scans on patients, such as ekg's, blood checks, Vitals, Sonograms, ect..) I have a Pharmacy Assistant(B-Tech) Licence, A Nursing Assistant Certification, and a Medical Assistant-Phlebotomist certification. I am graduating this August with my 2 year (Associates) degree in Global Health.

So my degree is geared more towards the Public Health sector, but my work experience is a combination of Retail Pharmacy experience, and Clinical experience. I feel like this makes me a diverse candidate, but worried that an employer in the Public Health sector or hospital administration might see it differently.

I have read that Singapore does not have two year degree's. Only Polytech diplomas, or 4+ year degree. So I do not know if my two year degree would be considered on par with a Polytech Diploma(and if this would make me less competitive compared to locals) or higher. I also looked up on M.O.M, and was it said that I would most likely qualify for an S-Pass. I am hoping for a salary of around SGD 4000-4900 per month(student loans and other bills to pay after all). But would be alright with a little lower if an employer worked out something with me in regards to housing. Not sure if employers ever do that, and I wouldn't mind living in a nicely maintained HDB flat if it is in fact something employers sometimes work out with expat employees.I am also single, with no kids.

So thats it for the most part. any insight on how I stack up against the competition, how desirable my qualifications/age/whatever is as compared to locals, the expat market for this field is ect. would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

okonu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon, 02 May 2016

Re: Employment/Workpass likelihood

Postby okonu » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:31 am

Quick check of online job adverts/ salary comparison sites says average for a nurse is 2000, and a staff nurse 3000 a month. Without housing. So I think your salary expectations are unlikely.

rje
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 15 Jun 2016

Re: Employment/Workpass likelihood

Postby rje » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:38 am

I am not looking for a clinical job such as nursing(even though I have experience in the field) I am looking for work in Hospital administration, or Public health. do you think my salary expectations are to high for these?

okonu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon, 02 May 2016

Re: Employment/Workpass likelihood

Postby okonu » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 11:57 am

I don't know. Would you expect those jobs to have a significant premium on what a nurse is paid?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9513
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Employment/Workpass likelihood

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 1:18 pm

rje wrote:I am not looking for a clinical job such as nursing(even though I have experience in the field) I am looking for work in Hospital administration, or Public health. do you think my salary expectations are to high for these?

As is in any medical line, foreign graduates are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to work ....

As for your preference ... me says low chance.

Again why would you like to move to Singapore ?

rje
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 15 Jun 2016

Re: RE: Re: Employment/Workpass likelihood

Postby rje » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 2:34 pm

ecureilx wrote:
rje wrote:I am not looking for a clinical job such as nursing(even though I have experience in the field) I am looking for work in Hospital administration, or Public health. do you think my salary expectations are to high for these?

As is in any medical line, foreign graduates are at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to work ....

As for your preference ... me says low chance.

Again why would you like to move to Singapore ?



Man, thats to bad. I kind of figured for many medical jobs, Singaporeans would be preferred (Nurses, Technologists, Pharmacists, ect) But I thought I might have a chance on the Administration side of it, or in Public Health for MOH. However, in terms of Public Health, perhaps The Ministry of Health would prefer not to hire a Foreign National to work for Singapore's government, over a Singaporean..

I just thought that Singapore seemed very expat friendly For people that are also skilled Mid levels, along with Highly skilled professionals and domestic workers. Which is why, as a skilled mid level, I thought I had a chance. after all, why would the S-pass exist in the first place if Mid level expats where not being hired? But I get it. Why hire a foreign national for something a Singaporean can do. thats is why I wanted to see on here of people thought I may qualify.

So Why Singapore? a few reasons

1.Work-I like the healthcare system in Singapore. Has its faults like any other, But is much more efficient than here in the States (mostly because of its smaller population, and state funded universal healthcare). I would like to see how it works, and to be a part of it. The country seems to be doing a lot of things right in terms of the health and well being of it's citizens. It's an environment I want to experience and be around because Public health is an interest of mine. Perhaps I might get a chance to apply what I have learned globally.

2.Personal- I just like the country. I have had interest in Singapore for a long time. A combination of meeting Singaporeans here in Seattle, and learning about the country both personally and in school confirmed this interest. I am also of Southeast Asian background on my mothers side (Filipino). I want to experience and travel the region more. Singapore feels like a good base for these travels. It is safe, pretty secure economically, diverse, and honestly, feels like the easiest place of transition for and Asian who was born in the west. there are more reasons as to why I have an interest in the country. I am also familiar with the not so pleasant sides of Singapore...But regardless, I still have a desire to relocate indefinitely. This ties into reason 3

3.Personal-Extremely personal reason, totally not meant to be a downer or bum anyone out, but its important to my reasons. My mother passed away in 2014. My father passed away 13 years prior. I do still have family in the states, but I am in my 20's and have no parents. I just want to start again. Somewhere new, and far away from here. So... Singapore. haha.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9513
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: RE: Re: Employment/Workpass likelihood

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 9:05 pm

rje wrote:Man, thats to bad. I kind of figured for many medical jobs, Singaporeans would be preferred (Nurses, Technologists, Pharmacists, ect) But I thought I might have a chance on the Administration side of it, or in Public Health for MOH. However, in terms of Public Health, perhaps The Ministry of Health would prefer not to hire a Foreign National to work for Singapore's government, over a Singaporean..

I just thought that Singapore seemed very expat friendly For people that are also skilled Mid levels, along with Highly skilled professionals and domestic workers. Which is why, as a skilled mid level, I thought I had a chance. after all, why would the S-pass exist in the first place if Mid level expats where not being hired? But I get it. Why hire a foreign national for something a Singaporean can do. thats is why I wanted to see on here of people thought I may qualify.

So Why Singapore? a few reasons

1.Work-I like the healthcare system in Singapore. Has its faults like any other, But is much more efficient than here in the States (mostly because of its smaller population, and state funded universal healthcare). I would like to see how it works, and to be a part of it. The country seems to be doing a lot of things right in terms of the health and well being of it's citizens. It's an environment I want to experience and be around because Public health is an interest of mine. Perhaps I might get a chance to apply what I have learned globally.

2.Personal- I just like the country. I have had interest in Singapore for a long time. A combination of meeting Singaporeans here in Seattle, and learning about the country both personally and in school confirmed this interest. I am also of Southeast Asian background on my mothers side (Filipino). I want to experience and travel the region more. Singapore feels like a good base for these travels. It is safe, pretty secure economically, diverse, and honestly, feels like the easiest place of transition for and Asian who was born in the west. there are more reasons as to why I have an interest in the country. I am also familiar with the not so pleasant sides of Singapore...But regardless, I still have a desire to relocate indefinitely. This ties into reason 3

3.Personal-Extremely personal reason, totally not meant to be a downer or bum anyone out, but its important to my reasons. My mother passed away in 2014. My father passed away 13 years prior. I do still have family in the states, but I am in my 20's and have no parents. I just want to start again. Somewhere new, and far away from here. So... Singapore. haha.


Ok, I wasn't expecting such a deep reply :D

To answer you, as I said, foreigners in Medical have very very limited scope, yes, including those who did 4 year nursing, being overtaken by poly / ITE nurses.

And, of late, the ITE and Poly grads have been offered nursing programs to get themselves on par with the rest and generous scholarships too are thrown in. And the plan is to get locals in all the levels, and going by the trend, it's working so far.

Now back to you, if you want to look for Nurse management etc, there are expats in that role.

So don't give up.

Another member here may chime in.

If i find other information, I will update you here.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Askannz, Strong Eagle and 1 guest