Singapore Expats

[Help] Marry an Indonasian girl

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
x9200

Re: [Help] Marry an Indonasian girl

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 6:36 pm

But please don't try to play any tricks. ICA are intelligent guys, if they suspect it's just a plot to get her in with a temporary rise in your income, she may have problems with the pass renewal.
Try to really aim to increase your income but don't quit this extra job right after her pass is granted. Show, that you can maintain the salary level and hope she will find the job. When she finds it, only then quit. Don't overdo it, working 20h a day will not be seen as a sustainable option.

And I still would start with LTVP application with your current salary. If rejected, ask to see an officer and try to get reasons for rejection, ask if your low salary is the reason and whether increasing your salary by doing some extra job on a sustainable manner could help. If you get or feel the answer is yes, then get this extra job, work for a few months maintaining the income level and only then reapply.

dizzy1990

Post by dizzy1990 » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 6:42 pm

Just curious, if she applies for work permit, what can she work as?
Any part time or full time job? What about free lance kind of job?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 7:02 pm

Work Permit is a bit specific work pass type so perhaps SMS can double check if all the points are there (as of our earlier suggestions), but generally these are all low level jobs across many industrial sectors. I believe she may work at an assembly, or packing line, or do some simple repair jobs, or work as a cleaner. Not sure about food industry.
I don't think freelancing and part time is an option.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Jun 2016 9:42 pm

The lowest pass she can get, outside of the FDW-WP is an S pass. That will require a minimum salary of 2200/mo provided she has ample experience and/or a degree depending on the position.

Also, she cannot work for two employers or freelance on any type of work visa here. One employer only.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

dizzy1990

Post by dizzy1990 » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 9:00 am

The issue lies at she only finished her secondary school education. No degree. Are there any better options?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 9:13 am

You do have one other option you can consider. You can immigrate to Indonesia, marry her there and find a job there. Otherwise, you are going to not have too much luck, I'm afraid.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 12:16 pm

I can't help but to comment. OP, marriage is not a short term matter, marrying Indonesian is not as easy as it seem. I know a lot of Singaporean did it, married by Islam law in Batam and never do any ROM. The thing with this path, it will affect the wife and the children status in future, I definitely against this path. If you ought to register officially (ROM), it will be better if you do it in Singapore, and I suggest you go on this path. Think again and consider the consequences, have you not read on the newspaper about those wife from Indonesia whose children can't even come to Singapore? I also know few wife who forever can't get LTVP what more PR in Singapore, including their children. How about housing? How you going to get a HDB if you unable to fulfilled the basic criteria? House in Indonesia. foreigner can only purchase it if they married to Indonesian and in the event of divorce normally the law not as fair as in Singapore, possibility the property will be given 100% to the Indonesian pretty high. And also the lease of land in Indonesia only 25 yrs, the owner need to renew it upon expiry (or the land can be taken by government if they deem they need the land), it make the price of descent house expensive, now resale market price in Batam for a descent 2 bedroom house in city is around 80k and need to be paid by cash, no bank loan given to foreigner and local who do not draw salary at certain threshold.

Indonesian who wish to work here must get at least Spass, no work permit unless they are FDW. And for foreigner to reside in Indonesia also will cost a lot of money, to work there possible but not easy to get employer who willing to pay the Foreign Employee Tax unless hiring you in their top priority list. You can go there as an expat, but this route will need special skill / talent and company must justify to the local government there on hiring foreigner. You can check how much it cost to get KITAS, it's a LTVP Indo's version, need to renew yearly, if you go through the normal process I think it will be less than 2 milion IDR, but normally people will go through "middleman" and the price and be sooooo marvelous.

Just ROM in Singapore, you no need to convert, just keep your own faith and she can keep hers, the marriage certificate from here is acceptable in Indonesia, there are MANY different faith couple registered their marriage in Singapore, those you can easily search on Google were the celebrities for example.

After write such long comment, once again think through before the decision, I also have bad news for you, normally the man need to support not only the wife, sometimes need to support the whole family and extended family, unless she is rich of course. Be ready mentally and pocket-tally :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 1:50 pm

That a bad news for the OP. If Indonesian can not get WP, then the options are even more limited, but if the OP upgrades with his salary, she may be allowed to work under LTVP.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 2:18 pm

Cheers to iLoveRice (a woman by the ways OP) who has written you a heart felt and thought out note.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Jun 2016 3:08 pm

^^^^This.

cittakaro

Post by cittakaro » Thu, 10 Nov 2016 5:52 pm

Just FYI, by law you don't need to convert to Muslim if you married Indonesian Muslim Woman, especially when you get married at overseas (Singapore). But in Syariah Law (Muslim Law), yes you must convert to Muslim, but its depend on your wife willing. But after ROM in Singapore, you still need to register your marriage in Indonesia to get acknowledge by Indonesia Government. If no, your wife status will be still single in Indonesia.

If you decide to register your marriage in Indonesia, and your wife own a land in Indonesia, your wife must sell it within one year, if not the government will take over the land. Your wife only can buy a land if you have prenuptial agreement with your wife before ROM. You must consider this if you have plan to retire in Indonesia because of lower cost of living.