Singapore Expats

What are the chances of getting SG citizenship?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
cyberelite

What are the chances of getting SG citizenship?

Post by cyberelite » Sun, 12 Jun 2016 7:33 pm

I'm a Filipino PR (8 years) and have been working in the IT industry.I'm earning around 3.5k a month I know its not a lot) and have a housewife who's on long term social visit pass renewable yearly, no kids yet. I've applied for citizenship 2 years ago and got rejected last year.

I understand that the situation above does not paint a very good picture if I do re-apply for Singapore Citizenship given a similar situation.

Recently however, a close old family relative of my wife ****censored**** decided to transfer a huge sum of bond investment account to us amounting to around ****censored**** which is earning at least ****censored**** a month on its own and we've already purchased a property somewhere in D1 (Raffles/Marina/Chinatown). The bank account transferred to us has been existing in Singapore since the 80's.

Question is, if I re-apply for citizenship now, is there any chance that I will be granted citizenship this time around? Any advise when is the best time to re-apply for citizenship?
Last edited by cyberelite on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 5:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: What are the chances of getting SG citizenship?

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 12 Jun 2016 10:19 pm

cyberelite wrote:I'm a Filipino PR (8 years), mid 30's and have been working in the IT and Telco industry. I'm earning around 3.5k a month ( I know its not a lot) and have a housewife who's on long term social visit pass renewable yearly, no kids yet. I've applied for citizenship 2 years ago and got rejected last year.

I understand that the situation above does not paint a very good picture if I do re-apply for Singapore Citizenship given a similar situation.

Recently however, a close old family relative of my wife, who is stricken with cancer decided to transfer a huge sum of bond investment account to us amounting to around ..

Question is, if I re-apply for citizenship now, is there any chance that I will be granted citizenship this time around? Any advise when is the best time to re-apply for citizenship?
QFP !!!
Last edited by ecureilx on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberelite

Re: What are the chances of getting SG citizenship?

Post by cyberelite » Sun, 12 Jun 2016 10:43 pm

QFP? Kindly elaborate?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 2:21 pm

cyberelite wrote:QFP? Kindly elaborate?
You got me stunned at the ****censored**** .. and still working for 3.5k per month.

About your chances, a few years ago, Filipinos were given PR and SC, but of late, a lot are getting rejected, which is not bad considering other races too are getting the same treatment.

Try your luck. .. your ****censored**** $ may work in your favor.

or, you could go the GIP way.

cyberelite

Post by cyberelite » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 2:42 pm

- questions already answered. Thanks.
Last edited by cyberelite on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 2:46 pm

OP -if the additional income is truly yours (and not in trust and not on behalf etc) it will certainly move you up in one way. The other ways are all known - kids, education, race ,language yada yada.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

cyberelite

Post by cyberelite » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 2:50 pm

- questions already answered. Thanks
Last edited by cyberelite on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberelite

Post by cyberelite » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 2:53 pm

egarding GIP, I have no business background and I have been advised by some chinese fung shui master which is a close acquaintance of my wife's family, not to engage in business so I'm out of luck on GIP.

Perhaps Ill just re-apply and see how it goes.
Last edited by cyberelite on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 3:28 pm

cyberelite wrote:regarding GIP, I have no business background and I have been advised by some chinese fung shui master which is a close acquaintance of my wife's family, not to engage in business so I'm out of luck on GIP.

Perhaps Ill just re-apply and see how it goes.
If you are still talking of $s, not pesos, you can always invest in Singapore Bonds and such, somebody from the financial line here may give you some idea.

I don't understand why the Feng Shui guy tells you how to manage your $.

Are you at least living in a condo, driving a car etc in Singapore, and own a helicopter in Philippines ?

cyberelite

Post by cyberelite » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 3:40 pm

PNGMK - its not in trust. The wealth manager proposed to put it in trust (they just need to deduct $) which was declined and was named directly to my wife. Im just curious if this will help with my SG citizenship application should I decide to re-apply.
Last edited by cyberelite on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 4:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 3:54 pm

cyberelite wrote:PNGMK - its not in trust. The wealth manager proposed to put it in trust (they just need to deduct $1m) which was declined and was named directly to my wife. Im just curious if this will help with my SG citizenship application should I decide to re-apply.

I honestly don't know but why don't you reframe the question. Most people of your ilk are in Singapore to become richer and go home or somewhere else. What if you thought of it that way?

Why do you want to stay in Singapore?
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

cyberelite

Post by cyberelite » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 3:58 pm

i like it here. I find everything comfortable, safe for my family, good food, nice parks and Singaporeans can easily be trusted.. I can say I fell in love with the people, culture and the country. (although sometimes I get a brush with some xenophobes who look down on me when they hear my accent)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 4:25 pm

PNGMK wrote:
cyberelite wrote:PNGMK - its not in trust. The wealth manager proposed to put it in trust (they just need to deduct $) which was declined and was named directly to my wife. Im just curious if this will help with my SG citizenship application should I decide to re-apply.

I honestly don't know but why don't you reframe the question. Most people of your ilk are in Singapore to become richer and go home or somewhere else. What if you thought of it that way?

Why do you want to stay in Singapore?
My 2 cents (no offense) If he lived in Philippines with ****censored****, there being not much privacy, all and every tom dick and harry will know and will want a piece of it. And with ****censored****, he has to rub shoulders with the uber rich of tans and sys and such, whether he likes it or not :D

And if nothing happens, somebody may file a frivolous case asking for source of money etc, and will do everything to take it.

And if nothing, the guy and his family will be targets of kidnapping and what not.

I do understand his overriding desire to live and be alive, in Singapore :D

Oh, well, with that kind of money, why can't be buy himself a PR in Canada, or even US - where they had some scheme to buy property and get green card (property - those distressed assets .. )

cyberelite

Post by cyberelite » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 4:45 pm

Ok guys. I think I got the answers I was looking for. It was nice chatting with you. have a pleasant day ahead.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 13 Jun 2016 6:37 pm

cyberelite wrote:i like it here. I find everything comfortable, safe for my family, good food, nice parks and Singaporeans can easily be trusted.. I can say I fell in love with the people, culture and the country. (although sometimes I get a brush with some xenophobes who look down on me when they hear my accent)
I better QFP before he tries to delete this one too :roll:
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard