Singapore Expats

From EP to LTVP?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
thatbadboy

From EP to LTVP?

Post by thatbadboy » Thu, 09 Jun 2016 3:31 pm

I have been here in Singapore for a little over 5 years, on an Employment Pass. I recently got married and my spouse is a Singaporean citizen. As my Employment Pass is about to expire, my employer is submitting an application for it to be renewed. At the same time, however, I was told that I should apply for an LTVP. Even after looking at the ICA web site, I am a bit confused on what benefits an LTVP would give me over an EP. Is it worth applying for an LTVP or should I just keep my EP?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: From EP to LTVP?

Post by JR8 » Thu, 09 Jun 2016 5:15 pm

I can't figure out how that might work, holding two kinds of pass at the same time.

If you have an LTVP/+ you can apply for a Letter of Consent to work. See -> http://www.mom.gov.sg/passes-and-permit ... of-consent

Being on an LTVP might make you cheaper to employ (levies/quotas etc). Can't say I've heard of a person suggesting going from an EP to an LTVP/LoC.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

BBCWatcher
Editor
Editor

Re: From EP to LTVP?

Post by BBCWatcher » Fri, 10 Jun 2016 3:14 pm

The Letter of Consent was only introduced fairly recently for LTVP holders, so EP to LTVP is not a well worn path yet. But it's a good one for many people to take.

The major advantage is that the LTVP provides greater immigration stability. If you lose (or leave) your job, you don't have to find another job immediately or apply for another pass. Another advantage, once you graduate to a LTVP+, is a discount on medical fees at public hospitals and clinics. The disadvantage, at least if you're a highly paid EP holder, is that you (and your employer) cannot sponsor others for passes if you have a LTVP. For example, if you have a LTVP you (and your employer) cannot sponsor a parent for a LTVP.