Singapore Expats

Expats not living the typical expat life?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Expats not living the typical expat life?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Aug 2016 9:59 pm

Well, we're glad you could stop in. We're spread all over now, SE in Houston, Nakatago in Aust, GR8 somewhere on the diplomatic coattails of his wife, Brah just return to the states. Lot's of shifting going on, none of it too voluntary I don't think. I've recently be made a G.father (8 months ago) with a Singaporean G.Son.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 18 Aug 2016 8:53 am

Vast majority of expats are workers. You may draw your own conclusion from that statement.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 12:05 pm

The main change that has occurred is Singapore has transformed from an emerging market to a developed market. So there is no need for an expat package like if you were being moved to India at a director level, for example. Local salaries in Singapore have now surpassed European levels in many cases in absolute levels and definitely at after tax levels.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 20 Aug 2016 1:02 pm

I disagree with the above. The observed changes are more economy related than related to maturity of the market. A lot has been done, but IMHO Singapore it's not there yet. The market would be mature if it was self-sustaining (even in a regional sense) what is clearly not yet the case.